Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oswalt wants out of Houston

I haven't looked at his numbers this year, but this seems like a no brainer for the Mets.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I haven't looked at his numbers this year, but this seems like a no brainer for the Mets.
    I have him in fantasy baseball. Quality start. every. single. outing.

He's owed 15 M this year
    16 next year
    16 million club option in 2012 with a 2 million buyout

Mets should jump on this.They might not have to give up much if the Astros just wanna dump salary.

him and Johan is a pretty damn good 1-2

Don't think you guys can take the division but can contend for the wild card

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...ng-oswalt.html

Money Might Keep Mets From Pursuing Oswalt

By Mike Axisa [May 14, 2010 at 7:45pm CST]

Every team in baseball would like to add Roy Oswalt to its rotation, but some of them simply won't be able to afford the $33MM left on his contract. The Mets might be one of those clubs according to Mike Puma of The New York Post, who says the team is reluctant to eat even the $1.8MM they owe to Gary Matthews Jr.

The Astros' ace said that he would be willing to waive his no trade clause if the helped the team rebuild. The caveat is that he also wants to go to a "true contender," and it's up to him to decide if the Mets fit the bill. They came into the night 18-17, three games behind the Phillies in the NL East.

Oswalt, 32, has a 2.63 ERA and an 8.4 K/9 in seven starts this year, numbers like what he put up in his mid-to-late 20's. Mets' starters have a 4.25 ERA, basically middle of the back, but Oliver Perez is struggling and Mike Pelfrey recently dealt with some shoulder fatigue. We looked at their top trade chips last month.

All Pro
    The Mets could really benefit from Oswalt. They might be able to catch the Phillies if their offense ever plays consistently.

All League
    I wouldn't give any of our top guys for Oswalt, and certainly none of the rookies we have on the MLB team. So that leaves out Davis, Niese, and Mejia. I wouldn't give up Fernando, Havens or Flores either...and if possible I want to hold on to Kirk N. and Kyle Allen(sleeper guy, has #2 upside)

If they do it for a package of a Holt, a Lutz, a Moviel/Familia/Carson(pick 2), and a guy like Evans, then fine. If they demand the top guys, you walk and save that 33 mil

^ lol, talk about not wanting to give up anything. You're getting a bit crazy when you're not willing to part with Reese Havens for Roy Oswalt.

As for Oswalt, the main issue is if he'd waive his no trade clause to come to NY, cause we're sure as hell going to have to improve enough on our own to entice him into doing so.

I have no concerns about that retarded article about if we can afford Oswalt, when the logic they're citing is "not being willing to eat" money due to GMJ, like that decision in any way impacts our ability to add another contract to the mix. He's due the same amount of money either way. GMJ is here because we don't have anybody else who can play CF besides Pagan. That's it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    ^ lol, talk about not wanting to give up anything. You're getting a bit crazy when you're not willing to part with Reese Havens for Roy Oswalt.

As for Oswalt, the main issue is if he'd waive his no trade clause to come to NY, cause we're sure as hell going to have to improve enough on our own to entice him into doing so.

I have no concerns about that retarded article about if we can afford Oswalt, when the logic they're citing is "not being willing to eat" money due to GMJ, like that decision in any way impacts our ability to add another contract to the mix. He's due the same amount of money either way. GMJ is here because we don't have anybody else who can play CF besides Pagan. That's it.
    Havens can't stay healthy, but he has great offensive potential at a spot where the Mets have been lacking for quite some time. You don't just give away a 2b prospect who was a first round pick and has 20+ hr upside.

To me, Oswalt just isn't worth 33 mil+ big time prospects. Give away B-level guys to get him, not top guys.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post
    Havens can't stay healthy, but he has great offensive potential at a spot where the Mets have been lacking for quite some time. You don't just give away a 2b prospect who was a first round pick and has 20+ hr upside.

To me, Oswalt just isn't worth 33 mil+ big time prospects. Give away B-level guys to get him, not top guys.
    As you said, Havens can't stay healthy, and he has an way too high SO rate as a pro player. Sure, maybe he puts it all together, but for a player of Oswalt's caliber? C'mon man, that's a no brainer.

Oswalt is a damn good pitcher, last year was the first time he put up an ERA over 3.54, and he's only rebounded by putting up a 2.66 ERA so far this season, and even his K rate seems to have come back. I'm sorry, if this team is in contention, you have to make that deal. I can see not wanting to part with Davis or Mejia or Flores or even F-Mart. But Havens? C'mon. Havens is a B level guy, lol.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    As you said, Havens can't stay healthy, and he has an way too high SO rate as a pro player. Sure, maybe he puts it all together, but for a player of Oswalt's caliber? C'mon man, that's a no brainer.

Oswalt is a damn good pitcher, last year was the first time he put up an ERA over 3.54, and he's only rebounded by putting up a 2.66 ERA so far this season, and even his K rate seems to have come back. I'm sorry, if this team is in contention, you have to make that deal. I can see not wanting to part with Davis or Mejia or Flores or even F-Mart. But Havens? C'mon. Havens is a B level guy, lol.
    I'm not worried about the K rate at this time, he walks enough to make it alright. I will admit he hasn't been able to stay healthy, but he's only been in the system a little over 1 year. How could you draw so many conclusions over a kid who has played a little over 1 year of pro ball? He's hit 20 hr in a little over 500 pro AB's, and he has a very impressive walk rate. 1st round picks who can play 2b, hit 20+ hr, and show a 100 isoD deserve some patience, they aren't a dime a dozen.

Oswalt is great and all, but he is still 32. The prime age for a pitcher to start going down hill. But what Omar has to decide is: do we have a team good enough to make a serious run at it with Oswalt. I think we do. However, the other thing Omar should look at is whether there anyone else on the market who would come cheaper, and allow us to still pursue a guy like Cliff Lee in the offseason.

I personally think it somewhat depends on Beltran. If we can get Beltran back within the first couple weeks of June, and are within a couple games of the Phils...I say go for it. If not, I'm just not sure. We do need pitching, but at what cost? F-Mart, Havens, Holt/Allen?

It's tempting, but it might be short sighted and fiscally irresponsible. I guess this is why Omar is getting paid to make these decisions and not us.
    Last edited by MetsJetsRebels; 05-24-2010 at 12:07 AM.

call me crazy but Oswalt seems like he is on the verge of breaking down. all the nagging injuries he has had, will catch up to him eventually...and it could be sooner rather then later.

Oswalt is great and all, but he is still 32. The prime age for a pitcher to start going down hill. But what Omar has to decide is: do we have a team good enough to make a serious run at it with Oswalt. I think we do. However, the other thing Omar should look at is whether there anyone else on the market who would come cheaper, and allow us to still pursue a guy like Cliff Lee in the offseason.
    I'd be more concerned about that if we were talking about signing him to a long-term deal. But he's only under contract for 1.75 years (Plus an option) or so, and by the time the deadline comes around, it'll be more like 1.4 years (Plus an option). I don't think he's going to fall apart in the next 18 months (With an option to extend it to 30 months).

You ride him out, let someone else overpay when his deal runs out, and take the draft picks to replenish the farm.

As for Lee, I get the need for a Pitcher, but I'm not thrilled about giving him 5+ years when he'll be 32 also this offseason. If an Oswalt trade prevents us from making a run at him in Free Agency, that might be a blessing in disguise.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    call me crazy but Oswalt seems like he is on the verge of breaking down. all the nagging injuries he has had, will catch up to him eventually...and it could be sooner rather then later.
    watch him this year. Filthy. Hes worth the risk especially if Houston is selling him for a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    watch him this year. Filthy. Hes worth the risk especially if Houston is selling him for a song.
    thats they key, they are not. they will ask for at least 1 good prospect...and with the mets not being a pitcher away this year...i am not sure i give a good one up.

Not sure that Houston is interested in dumping Oswalt. My guess is that they'll demand a lot, like a legitimate starting pitcher and two top prospects. Just because Oswalt is open to being traded doesn't mean that Houston has to accommodate him. Plus Oswalt has a full no trade and I doubt if the Mets would be on his wish list. I can see a team like Anaheim, Minnesota, or maybe the Dodgers making a push. If I'm Houston talking to the Mets, I start with Pelfrey.

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Not sure that Houston is interested in dumping Oswalt. My guess is that they'll demand a lot, like a legitimate starting pitcher and two top prospects. Just because Oswalt is open to being traded doesn't mean that Houston has to accommodate him. Plus Oswalt has a full no trade and I doubt if the Mets would be on his wish list. I can see a team like Anaheim, Minnesota, or maybe the Dodgers making a push. If I'm Houston talking to the Mets, I start with Pelfrey.
    how does that make sense? trading our number 2 for a guy who is going to come in and be our number 2? granted oswalt may be a more accomplished pitcher..but pelfrey is younger and has been just as nasty this year.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    how does that make sense? trading our number 2 for a guy who is going to come in and be our number 2? granted oswalt may be a more accomplished pitcher..but pelfrey is younger and has been just as nasty this year.
    Oh, I agree, I would not trade Pelfrey for Oswalt, no way. I just think that's what the Astros will ask for. Maybe they'd take something like Murphy and FMart, or Murphy and Mejia, but I doubt it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    They won't get that much. He's owed a lot of money. Trading Pelfrey for Oswalt really doesn't do anything for the Mets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    They won't get that much. He's owed a lot of money. Trading Pelfrey for Oswalt really doesn't do anything for the Mets at all.
    i team like the dodgers will prob give up a top prospect for him...i think astros hold out.