Thread: Is it just me, or did anyone else not care about the Subway Series?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me, or did anyone else not care about the Subway Series?

First off I am a huge sports fan, love football and I'm a die-hard Jets fan. I'm by no means a baseball hater, I consider myself a Yankees fan, but every year it seems that passion slips a little and it becomes harder and harder to get into baseball.

I think the Subway Series this weekend summed it up for me. I watched a few minutes last night and that was it for the whole weekend, it just doesn't light my fire, and I think that's a pretty big incidement on baseball itself, when one of the supposed biggest series of the year can't get a big sports fan like myself to tune if for more than a few minutes.

It's just a bad product I think. The games are way to long and slow-paced and there are way to many of them. It's ridiculuous for MLB to expect people to stay involved for 162 games a year spread out over six months.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's just you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It's just you.
    No it's not

"not care" is too strong but it has definitely lost its luster and that was to be expected, it was never going to be as exciting as the first few years..the real subway series was the 2000 world series..
    Last edited by gqxluvx; 05-24-2010 at 12:35 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its great man. I went last night with my son... great time, nice field, but my team lost

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing i cared about is watching the yanks in what i thought would be a nice matchup but they stunk this weekend....they left something like 15 runners on base it was embarassing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole Yankees/Mets rivalry I don't care about, I just wanted to win a series, the way the Yankees have been playing this past week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    they're still the most fun you will have at a game in May/June. Watching it on TV isnt as exciting since it's been done about 80 times. But that doesn't matter, I'd rather play the Yankees and watch people act like babies than play the Pirates.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    they're still the most fun you will have at a game in May/June. Watching it on TV isnt as exciting since it's been done about 80 times. But that doesn't matter, I'd rather play the Yankees and watch people act like babies than play the Pirates.
    Disagree. Division games (especially against Boston and now Tampa) are far more fun, no matter what month.

I care about these just as much as any other regular season game. It's no different than a series against Cleveland or Kansas City. Just part of the schedule. The games have no additional meaning because they are from across town. There's no rivalry there (except maybe in the minds of a few Mets fans).

Maybe before 2000 because it was new. But once that World Series happened, and it actually meant something, the stuff after seems pointless.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the attraction this year was much less than usual because the Mets are so disappointing. Winning two out of three is nice if you're a Met fan like me, but that doesn't change the fact that the team is not very good, is underperforming, has fallen prey to the exact problem that everyone predicted, namely a lack of pitching depth, and is not nearly as good as the Yankees or Phillies. If both teams were good, then the series would have the lustre. Or if the Mets had been expected to be bad, then it would have meant something to Mets fans to win a series from the Yanks. But while it's nice that the Mets took two out of three, reality now sets in as the Phils come to town and the Mets have three second-tier pitchers to throw at them. So the odds are that the disappointing year marches on.

If the Mets can somehow win the series from the Phils, then there might be some cause for at least mild excitement.
    Last edited by bullitt929; 05-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was more worried about how the Yankees would perform on the field, then beating the Mets. It wasn't about the Mets, it was about how the Yankees have been struggling for me, I would have loved to see them win a game for the right reasons this weekend. I felt like even the game the Yankees won didn't feel especially great, it was nice to get a W, you take them however you can get them as a fan and a player. They've been playing terribly and it's getting really depressing to watch. Especially when guys like Randy Winn can't hit for they're life period, and guys like Arod and Tex are completely shut down by pitches they normally would take deep. As others have said, it was completely embarassing. Doesn't really matter who they lost to. Playing like that is painful. I understand all of the injuries but still, when you read how Johnny Damon, and even Eric Hinske are playing, it makes my stomach turn to think these guys would be giving us some serious production if we did the right thing and spent the money on them instead of bringing glass people back here who were never good here in the first place (see Nick Johnson).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    I was more worried about how the Yankees would perform on the field, then beating the Mets. It wasn't about the Mets, it was about how the Yankees have been struggling for me, I would have loved to see them win a game for the right reasons this weekend. I felt like even the game the Yankees won didn't feel especially great, it was nice to get a W, you take them however you can get them as a fan and a player. They've been playing terribly and it's getting really depressing to watch. Especially when guys like Randy Winn can't hit for they're life period, and guys like Arod and Tex are completely shut down by pitches they normally would take deep. As others have said, it was completely embarassing. Doesn't really matter who they lost to. Playing like that is painful. I understand all of the injuries but still, when you read how Johnny Damon, and even Eric Hinske are playing, it makes my stomach turn to think these guys would be giving us some serious production if we did the right thing and spent the money on them instead of bringing glass people back here who were never good here in the first place (see Nick Johnson).
    How do you end up a Dolphin fan and a Yankee fan?

That's almost as crazy as being a Rays fan and a Yankee fan...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was special it's first few years,But now to me it's just another series.

I don't consider the Mets a rival,they are in a different league.

When the Yanks lose to Boston it stings,pretty bad.After losing 2 of 3 to the Mets it's just the usual sting of losing.

Maybe it's cause I don't live in the New York area but I know a lot of Yanks/Mets fans hate the other team but I don't care either way about the Mets.They could win 60 games or 110 games it doesn't matter to me

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    It was special it's first few years,But now to me it's just another series.

I don't consider the Mets a rival,they are in a different league.

When the Yanks lose to Boston it stings,pretty bad.After losing 2 of 3 to the Mets it's just the usual sting of losing.

Maybe it's cause I don't live in the New York area but I know a lot of Yanks/Mets fans hate the other team but I don't care either way about the Mets.They could win 60 games or 110 games it doesn't matter to me
    Honestly, same here, though on the mets side. I've never considered the yanks a rival. I rooted for them against the phillies for sure...and I've only started rooting against the yankees the past few years because of a "special" few obnoxious fans. Take them out of the equation though, and I don't care one bit what the yankees do.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    How do you end up a Dolphin fan and a Yankee fan?

That's almost as crazy as being a Rays fan and a Yankee fan...
    Baseball hasn't been around in Miami for long. Many older Fin fans are Yankee fans as back then the Marlins didnt exist.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It's just you.
    yep

Look I don't know the age of the poster who started this thread but these younger baseball fans have no idea what it's like going through most of your like having a meaningful Met-Yankee game seem like a distant fantasy. I'm not a huge fan of Bud Selig but Interleague play has been a major achievement of his and was one of the reasons why baseball surged back after the dark days of the 80's and early 90's.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 05-24-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Baseball hasn't been around in Miami for long. Many older Fin fans are Yankee fans as back then the Marlins didnt exist.
    You're a funny dude and stopped posting much (maybe because it's the offseason)

But...

Have you read this guys posts? He's like 16...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is 16??? Not me, 27... Just because I don't have the same opinion as you or others, does not mean I am 16... I've been a Yankees fan for 16 years now...
    Last edited by C. Pennington; 05-24-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baseball itself just isn't as exciting as it used to be for me at least. I dont know if it is because the team I like continues to under perform year in year out or what, but that fire just isn't there anymore.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to a crap-load of Yankee and Mets games over the years and the Subway series is a unique, high energy, mostly fun experience....

Personally, I feel like its a celebration of New Yorkers being New Yorkers....not many if any, outside fans...just new Yorkers. Kinda of cool.

This weekend I took the train back to LI with a pair of stranger Met fans who couldnt have been nicer to my kids...the bond was baseball.