Thread: Mets trade question

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Mets trade question

Does Feliciano have enough value to bring back someones best minor league outfielder?

Pedro Feliciano? I doubt you'd get much more then a B level prospect for him.

Plus, you'd be better off holding onto him and hoping he becomes a Type A Free Agent.

I would say no way. A contender that needs a lefthander out of the pen might give up a decent AAA outfielder with potential, or maybe a higher-rated low minor leaguer, but I think that's the best that can be hoped for.

While we're talking about trades, I'm in the camp of Let's Trade Reyes. I think he'll always be a tantalizing talent who falls short because his mental approach to the game is so below average. I think he is and will always be a coach-killer, going from the sublime and giving hope, to the ridiculous and making you tear your hair out.

Jose Reyes for Clay Buchholz and a shortstop, presumably Marco Scutaro.

Banned
    I'm not really sure about every other farm system, but there is no way in hell that the Mets could get the Rays top OF prospect in Desmond Jennings for Feliciano. No way.

Desmond Jennings is an athletic clone of Carl Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    I'm not really sure about every other farm system, but there is no way in hell that the Mets could get the Rays top OF prospect in Desmond Jennings for Feliciano. No way.

Of course the Rays aren't trading Jennings, they are going to be losing Crawford after this season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post

Speaking of clones.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Does Feliciano have enough value to bring back someones best minor league outfielder?
    Why do you want a minor league OF? Pagan moves to RF when/if Beltran comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    Why do you want a minor league OF? Pagan moves to RF when/if Beltran comes back.
    with beltrans knee, i wouldnt be surprised to see beltran in RF and Pagan in center

On a side note if Pagan does slide over to RF i would like to see francour become a definsive replacement anytime the mets have a lead after 6 or 7

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    On a side note if Pagan does slide over to RF i would like to see francour become a definsive replacement anytime the mets have a lead after 6 or 7
    Why? Pagan is better at defense then Francoeur is. Pagan is a plus defensive CF (+13.6 UZR/150 in CF so far this season), Francoeur has a great arm, but mediocre range (+2.2 UZR/150 in RF so far this season). Sure, Francoeur's arm is great and all, but Pagan would help us more by having far superior range and running those balls down in the gaps, then Francoeur would with his arm.

Unless you mean putting Francoeur in for Bay, but I'm not sure that's necessary (He's only a -0.5 UZR/150 in LF so far this season). The defensive improvement seems barely significant at best, and we'd be better off squeezing another AB out of Bay if at all possible.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Seems to me the Mets are at the top of their budget. In order to get better we need young inexpensive talent and trading or drafting is the only way to get young inexpensive talent.

I think when Beltran comes back he will never be as good as he was. Guaranteed he will really stink up the joint for at least the first month of his return.

I cannot see any reason to trade Reyes. Mostly because his value is at it's lowest and we will get nothing in return. The upside for Reyes is to wait on him, hope he hits again and be happy he is a quality defensive shortstop. I could see us trading Tejada as part of a package to bring back Oswalt. Tejada should have some value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Why? Pagan is better at defense then Francoeur is. Pagan is a plus defensive CF (+13.6 UZR/150 in CF so far this season), Francoeur has a great arm, but mediocre range (+2.2 UZR/150 in RF so far this season). Sure, Francoeur's arm is great and all, but Pagan would help us more by having far superior range and running those balls down in the gaps, then Francoeur would with his arm.

Unless you mean putting Francoeur in for Bay, but I'm not sure that's necessary (He's only a -0.5 UZR/150 in LF so far this season). The defensive improvement seems barely significant at best, and we'd be better off squeezing another AB out of Bay if at all possible.
    something about 2 Cfs in one outfield bothers me (beltran/cameron was a horror show) and Francour is a weapon in RF, granted his range isnt as good as pagan but people just dont run on him cause of his arm. the second reason why is i really was tryin to find a role for frenchy cause honestly i like him on this team and in this clubhouse, i know he is a subpar all round RF but if we could find a role for him id like him to stick around.

Off subject here but i d like to see Murphy get time at 2b in the minors see if he could handle the position. If so like to see him get time at the major league level,maybe long term dump castillo who has raised his value over the past year or so and hope murphs bat comes around to what we thought it might be

something about 2 Cfs in one outfield bothers me (beltran/cameron was a horror show) and Francour is a weapon in RF, granted his range isnt as good as pagan but people just dont run on him cause of his arm. the second reason why is i really was tryin to find a role for frenchy cause honestly i like him on this team and in this clubhouse, i know he is a subpar all round RF but if we could find a role for him id like him to stick around.
    Meh, 2 points of contention.

1) The Beltran/Cameron thing was one fluke play. How long should we hold that against the team? The idea of having 2 players with CF range out there is enticing. Especially with the large dimensions of Citi Field in CF/RF, one could argue it's something we need.

2) Pagan has also played plenty of Corner OF over the years. Cameron had very little experience in the corners. He played a ton of LF when we were having a revolving door of players out there.

Off subject here but i d like to see Murphy get time at 2b in the minors see if he could handle the position. If so like to see him get time at the major league level,maybe long term dump castillo who has raised his value over the past year or so and hope murphs bat comes around to what we thought it might be
    From what I've read, the current plan is to throw Murphy around at several positions to work on his versatility, 2B and OF especially come to mind as places in which he should play.

And it's only a matter of time until Ruben Tejada is playing 2B in the big league level, IMO. He's hitting .308/.353/.378 in Buffalo after a slow start (.342/.384/.392 this month), all the scouting reports say he's a strong glove too. And this is at 20 years old in AAA.

I still like Murphy, but on this team he's probably a utility guy, or trade bait. Best case scenario for him is to go to a team like the Astros in an Oswalt deal, and play his natural position of 3rd base there.

All League
    something about 2 Cfs in one outfield bothers me (beltran/cameron was a horror show) and Francour is a weapon in RF, granted his range isnt as good as pagan but people just dont run on him cause of his arm. e
    He's not a weapon when he can't hit at all.

1) The Beltran/Cameron thing was one fluke play. How long should we hold that against the team? The idea of having 2 players with CF range out there is enticing. Especially with the large dimensions of Citi Field in CF/RF, one could argue it's something we need.
    That wasn't the first time two Mets OF who were both CF collided in the outfield. Mookie Wilson and Lenny Dykstra did the the same thing.

2) Pagan has also played plenty of Corner OF over the years. Cameron had very little experience in the corners. He played a ton of LF when we were having a revolving door of players out there.

From what I've read, the current plan is to throw Murphy around at several positions to work on his versatility, 2B and OF especially come to mind as places in which he should play.

And it's only a matter of time until Ruben Tejada is playing 2B in the big league level, IMO. He's hitting .308/.353/.378 in Buffalo after a slow start (.342/.384/.392 this month), all the scouting reports say he's a strong glove too. And this is at 20 years old in AAA.

I still like Murphy, but on this team he's probably a utility guy, or trade bait. Best case scenario for him is to go to a team like the Astros in an Oswalt deal, and play his natural position of 3rd base there.
    If i recall correctly there were two near collision in spring training with them 2 and as adbz pointed out mooke and nails collided also

I guess your right bout Murph, but i cant understand how they would wanna try him in the OF again after the sh!t show last year

He's not a weapon when he can't hit at all.

That wasn't the first time two Mets OF who were both CF collided in the outfield. Mookie Wilson and Lenny Dykstra did the the same thing.
    I meant his arm would deter runners tyryin to take the extra base late in the game , but agreed if he cant hit, i guess he gotta go, its to bad cvause he is a very likeable guy

Im also guessing this will be Maine last year in flushing

All League
    Im also guessing this will be Maine last year in flushing
    I hope so. I've seen enough of him. If he ever gets healthy they should try him out of the pen, even when he was good he couldn't pitch deep into games. Maybe he'd work out there.

I guess your right bout Murph, but i cant understand how they would wanna try him in the OF again after the sh!t show last year
    Because if he can learn to play 2B and Corner OF, he can carve out a Mark DeRosa type career where he might not necessarily be a starter, but can get 400-450 PA just filling in at 5 positions. In which case, he has more value to the Mets.

+1. Loved the range Beltran and Chavez gave us a few years ago. We built the spacious stadium, we should turn it into an advantage by being able to cover more ground than the visitors.