Thread: Yankees seek a hitter and reliever this trading season

Yankees seek a hitter and reliever this trading season

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/14925779408

Yankees plan to seek 2 players this trading season: a hitter (to replace Nick Johnson) and a reliever.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Damon or Matsui please

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Damon or Matsui please
    Matsui and his .230 BA and .310 OBP? Angels are going to start platooning him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Matsui and his .230 BA and .310 OBP? Angels are going to start platooning him.
    yes....Put an interlocking NY on his uniform, and you'll see where he wants to play

Veteran
    Wow Heyman, way to really go out on a limb there. Honestly, what a waste of a twitter. Really, the Yanks are going to look for a hitter and reliver this trade season? You don't say?

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    yes....Put an interlocking NY on his uniform, and you'll see where he wants to play
    What?

All League
    Stay the course. If the KC closer is available for the right price ( late July) pull the trigger

C. Jorge Posada
    1B. Mark Teixeira
    2B. Robinson Cano
    SS. Derek Jeter
    3B. Alex Rodriguez
    LF. Brett Gardner
    CF. Curtis Granderson
    RF. David DeJesus
    DH. Nick Swisher

All Pro
    I don't really know who may be available in terms of a OF hitter. I'm not too big on the Dunn/Konerko bandwagon. I'd prefer to get someone younger, but who's out there?

As far as the pen... I never want to see Chan Ho Park ever throw as a Yankee again. He's the Randy Winn of relief pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Remember when I said we should sign Octavio Dotel instead of wasting money on Randy Winn?
    Octavio Dotel sucks too...so it's a wash, but can we stop fighting off-season battles? Who can we get moving forward.

All Pro
    Well, this is a chance for Mark Melancon to step up and make a case for that reliever spot. Can he do it?....Does he have it in him to fill that void for the Yankees?........

If we trade for a reliever...I want the hard throwing lefty Matt Thornton from the White Sox. Guy throws gas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5650

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Stay the course. If the KC closer is available for the right price ( late July) pull the trigger
    Soria?

lol

He's on a $32 million dollar contract extension (with options) through 2014...

And he's a top 5 closer that's not going to come here and be the #2 or 3 guy

Octavio Dotel sucks too...so it's a wash, but can we stop fighting off-season battles? Who can we get moving forward.
    Octavio Dotel has been pretty good his entire career. He just got off to a rough start this year. He's been lights out this month. Who in the Yankees' pen is better than Dotel, other than Rivera?

Go after Hinske. I couldn't be more serious.

Banned
    Yankees definitely need another reliever. As for hitter I know I'm going to get heat for saying this but Jermaine Dye would give us some additional firepower on offense and we wouldn't have to give up anything to get him.

The Angels are probably going to be out of it with Morales out for the year, I wouldn't mind adding Matsui to the team since if they are out of it they probably would let him go for almost nothing. Sure hes not batting that well right now, but his swing is perfect for Yankee stadium and better him at DH than Miranda or Thames. He was hitting .248 at June 30th last year before he really started getting it going.

They probably won't do it though as they probably go after some player that can play the field, though Matsui has played LF 5 times this year...

We could definitely use a arm, sucks that the Padres are in first place because they were going to trade Heath Bell.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 05-30-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The Angels are probably going to be out of it with Morales out for the year, I wouldn't mind adding Matsui to the team since if they are out of it they probably would let him go for almost nothing. Sure hes not batting that well right now, but his swing is perfect for Yankee stadium and better him at DH than Miranda or Thames. He was hitting .248 at June 30th last year before he really started getting it going.

They probably won't do it though as they probably go after some player that can play the field, though Matsui has played LF 5 times this year...

We could definitely use a arm, sucks that the Padres are in first place because they were going to trade Heath Bell.
    The Angels aren't going to roll over, they never do, and without Morales, they can still win games. They're more dangerous than they look. I don't think they would be willing to just hand over Matsui. We made that mistake.
    Just letting go of 2 players we really could've used this season. Dumb move. Spending a little extra wouldn't have killed George. I believe he would've signed back both Damon and Matsui for one more year. Hank and Hal need to brighten up here. I didn't like the Vazquez move, and it hasn't worked out well. I didn't like the Johnson move, and that blew up in our faces. Keep what you have. We won a World Series for a reason, and it wasn't the guys who we accquired that won it, it's the ones we didn't keep who were responsible for that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    The Angels aren't going to roll over, they never do, and without Morales, they can still win games. They're more dangerous than they look. I don't think they would be willing to just hand over Matsui. We made that mistake.
    Just letting go of 2 players we really could've used this season. Dumb move. Spending a little extra wouldn't have killed George. I believe he would've signed back both Damon and Matsui for one more year. Hank and Hal need to brighten up here. I didn't like the Vazquez move, and it hasn't worked out well. I didn't like the Johnson move, and that blew up in our faces. Keep what you have. We won a World Series for a reason, and it wasn't the guys who we accquired that won it, it's the ones we didn't keep who were responsible for that.
    It was all Damon's fault that he isn't a Yankee, not Cashman or the Stienbrenner's. Damon over played his card and he thought he was worth WAY more than what he is. BTW here are side by side stats of Damon & Gardner this year after 48 games:

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    48 173 35 49 74 14 1 3 18 29 29 3 1 .283 .387 .428 .815 Damon:
    48 173 36 50 64 4 2 2 15 22 26 18 2 .289 .371 .370 .741 Gardner:

And I agree. I'm dissapointed about Nick Johnson. Everyone new he is fragile but geez I didn't think he was this fragile. The guys made of glass. The Yankees will get him back before the August but who knows what other injury he might get. The Yankees felt that Matsui was past his prime (his numbers are showing it this year). The loss of Matsui was that big of a deal for Cashman and Girardi because their original plan for the DH position was for it to be a circular position where you can give guys in the lineup half days off.

My biggest concern is the bullpen. They need a set up guy who is more consistant than what they have now. Maybe Joba & Robertson can right their ship. We'll see.
    Last edited by Cool Papa B.; 05-31-2010 at 11:08 AM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    I imagine the Yankees could get Lance Berkman for a song.

He is a 1b and having a bad season but he is a switch hitter and is in his walk year.