Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Mark Teixeira

  1. #1
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mark Teixeira

    Hitting woes aside....

    I really cant remember ANYONE playing first base better. I'm talking Kieth Hernandez, Mattingly...the guy is supernatural.

    Especially lately, it almost coincides with his hitting decline....

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Hitting woes aside....

    I really cant remember ANYONE playing first base better. I'm talking Kieth Hernandez, Mattingly...the guy is supernatural.

    Especially lately, it almost coincides with his hitting decline....
    Teixeira is pretty great in the field, though I don't think he's as good as Hernandez was.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think first base defense is way overrated. The difference between an average defensive 1B and a great 1B is much smaller than difference between an average defensive SS or CF and a great SS or CF.

    I said the same thing when Hernandez was playing for the Mets.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Olerud was a machine of a first sacker.


  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think first base defense is way overrated. The difference between an average defensive 1B and a great 1B is much smaller than difference between an average defensive SS or CF and a great SS or CF.

    I said the same thing when Hernandez was playing for the Mets.
    I agree that a great shortstop or centerfielder will save more runs than a first baseman. Still, it's really fun to watch a great first baseman at work, and he will save errors and runs. Of course that's true of great defense at any position. I'm old enough to remember Brooks Robinson, and I loved to watch him at times almost control the game from third base. Or so it seemed.

    I'm a Met fan, so I'll give a slight nod to Hernandez. But Teixeira is awfully good.

  6. #6
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think first base defense is way overrated. The difference between an average defensive 1B and a great 1B is much smaller than difference between an average defensive SS or CF and a great SS or CF.

    I said the same thing when Hernandez was playing for the Mets.
    I disagree. I think a great 1B makes the other infielders better and more confident.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I disagree. I think a great 1B makes the other infielders better and more confident.
    A vacuum cleaner at first save infielders 10 errors a year.

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Hitting woes aside....

    I really cant remember ANYONE playing first base better. I'm talking Kieth Hernandez, Mattingly...the guy is supernatural.

    Especially lately, it almost coincides with his hitting decline....
    I'm glad someone finally said it.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really showing his age here in 2010.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    The injuries are starting to mount up

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I'm glad someone finally said it.
    Limitless dooshinesz.

    Its like a veritable fountain of foulness.


    why



  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Limitless dooshinesz.

    Its like a veritable fountain of foulness.


    why


    I like it !!

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think first base defense is way overrated. The difference between an average defensive 1B and a great 1B is much smaller than difference between an average defensive SS or CF and a great SS or CF.

    I said the same thing when Hernandez was playing for the Mets.
    I disagree.

    The quality of player that plays SS and CF in the MLB are generally very solid defensively, while 1B is usually a place to put a hitter. Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Adam Dunn and those type of players are known for their bats and nobody would call them good defenders.

    The difference between Howard and Tex is much greater than the difference between a good SS and a lousy SS. A lousy SS doesn't last long in the bigs.

    And I think Keith was just slightly better than Tex.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I disagree.

    The quality of player that plays SS and CF in the MLB are generally very solid defensively, while 1B is usually a place to put a hitter. Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard, Adam Dunn and those type of players are known for their bats and nobody would call them good defenders.

    The difference between Howard and Tex is much greater than the difference between a good SS and a lousy SS. A lousy SS doesn't last long in the bigs.

    And I think Keith was just slightly better than Tex.
    You are proving my point. If bad fielding SSs dont make it to the Major leagues but bad fielding 1B start then therefore fielding is way less important at 1B.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You are proving my point. If bad fielding SSs dont make it to the Major leagues but bad fielding 1B start then therefore fielding is way less important at 1B.
    Most teams sacrifice defense for offense at that position. Prince Fielder is going to produce more runs with his bat than he allows by being a lousy defender. That must be taken into account in the analysis.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us