Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ken Griffey Jr. Retires

All Pro

Ken Griffey Jr. Retires

Just said it on SNY during the Mets game.

All Pro
    He had quite a run. Lock 1st ballot HOF -- a truly great player and by all accounts a great person as well.

You know you're getting old when your boyhood idol retires from his sport.

Hall Of Fame
    Shoulda accepted the trade to the Mets to play for a good team at the time instead of being a pansy and wanting to go home to the reds.

That being said, great player, ,first ballot hall of famer, yada yada yada.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

IMO he was roid free and put up amazing numbers in an era where everyone cheated. Give Griff roids and he does everything Bonds did and more. Bonds doubled in size, Griff never blew up like that.

A true legend and maybe the most natural lefty HR swing i've ever seen.

I put him in front of Bonds on any all time lists because I believe he never cheated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    IMO he was roid free and put up amazing numbers in an era where everyone cheated. Give Griff roids and he does everything Bonds did and more. Bonds doubled in size, Griff never blew up like that.

A true legend and maybe the most natural lefty HR swing i've ever seen.

I put him in front of Bonds on any all time lists because I believe he never cheated.
    You're just guessing.

With that said... one of, if not the greatest player I've ever seen. Should get 100% of the vote. Of course their will probably be some moron who won't vote for him.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-02-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Veteran
    Let me be the first to say, welcome to the hall of fame Junior!! Welcome to the Hall of Fame.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    You're just guessing.

With that said... one of, if not the greatest player I've ever seen.
    Of course. Most are just guessing when they say Jeter never did it. But with that swing and the power he had, give Griff juice and he hits 60 plus easy.

Banned
    Of course. Most are just guessing when they say Jeter never did it. But with that swing and the power he had, give Griff juice and he hits 60 plus easy.
    Maybe...maybe not

But lets no turn this into a steroid thread.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Maybe...maybe not

But lets no turn this into a steroid thread.
    I just watched a bunch of cheaters over the years pass over one of the greatest players in the game like he was a chump. If he cheated you really believe he would've been left in the dust like that? I know he had injuries but still.

It's hard not to talk about it. I believe steriod talk will be a big thing when Griff is mentioned among other greats of his era. Of course its just a guess. But IMO I believe he was clean.

Banned
    I just watched a bunch of cheaters over the years pass over one of the greatest players in the game like he was a chump. If he cheated you really believe he would've been left in the dust like that? I know he had injuries but still.

It's hard not to talk about it. I believe steriod talk will be a big thing when Griff is mentioned among other greats of his era. Of course its just a guess. But IMO I believe he was clean.
    Injuries played a huge part of it. It derailed his career for almost a decade. At one point he was neck and neck with McGwire and Sosa in '98. Remember that?

I don't like proclaiming players are clean... because later we may find out they weren't. People did that with A-Rod.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-02-2010 at 08:34 PM.

All Pro
    Had he juiced, injuries wouldn't have derailed his career as greatly as they did. Many player that use PEDs say it's because it really helps get them back on and keep them on the field. Griffey is in the 800 club if he doesn't miss all that time in his prime -- especially playing in that ballpark and lackluster division.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Had he juiced, injuries wouldn't have derailed his career as greatly as they did. Many player that use PEDs say it's because it really helps get them back on and keep them on the field. Griffey is in the 800 club if he doesn't miss all that time in his prime -- especially playing in that ballpark and lackluster division.
    Steroids also lead to injuries later in your career.

Banned
    If Ken Griffey Jr. would have stayed healthy, he would have ran away with the all time HR record. I honestly believe that.

He had a sweet swing, the best swing I've ever seen and man oh man, in his prime... He made some electric defensive plays out in CF for the M's. Also had great speed.

Injuries hurt Griffey, but when healthy, in my eyes, he's the best ball player I've ever seen. A true natural.

Hall Of Fame
    Used to be one of my favorites.

Enjoy Cooperstown.

All League
    Cannot believe my favorite baseball player growing up is retiring. God damn time moves fast. Sweetest swing in baseball. Now matter what his age, he will ALWAYS be remembered as The Kid.

Can't believe this day is already happening

Hall Of Fame
    You're just guessing.

With that said... one of, if not the greatest player I've ever seen. Should get 100% of the vote. Of course their will probably be some moron who won't vote for him.

i'll miss Junior. i'll recall him as the greatest clean slugger of the steroid
    era. (sources: he passed all tests)

https://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

All League
    He had a number of years as a Yankee killer as well

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Pretty swing.

Never won anything.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Pretty swing.

Never won anything.
    Following that logic, the Youk has an ugly swing and has a ring.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Griffey is a modern day Mickey Mantle.

Both are all-time greats that had "best to ever play" type talent BUT neither realized their full potential because of injuries.

And for Mantle you can add booze and blondes right after injuries...