Thread: Yankees considering trading for Cliff Lee

Yankees considering trading for Cliff Lee

We were told by our main Yankees source down in Tampa on Thursday that the Yankees have been having internal discussions in regards to trading for the Mariners Cliff Lee. As we have reported numerous times over the past year, the Yankees have long had an interest in Lee, and actually tried to acquire him “several times” over the past two years. Trade talks, both with Cleveland and Philadelphia, never panned out due to the fact that both franchises wanted demanded that Brian Cashman “overpay” for the former Cy Young Award winner.

So why are the Yankees thinking about making a move for Lee now? We were told that there are many in the Yankees organization that feel it would be better to trade for Lee now and try to convince him to sign an extension. The Yankees would save money by not having to bid on Lee on the open market, where they would have to go up against other teams, (possibly the RSN or Anaheim) to acquire his services.

So would Lee change his mind and consider signing a contract extension if he were traded to the Bronx? Our source told us that the answer is a definite “yes” especially since he would be reunited with his best friend CC Sabathia. “They’ve been planning in a reunion since the time C.C. was traded, and what better place to have a reunion than in the Bronx.”

Our source also told us that the Mariners would be most demand one of the Yankees prize catching prospects to be included in any deal for Lee. We were told that the Yankees have no intention of trading Austin Romine at this time. This leaves either Jesus Montero or Brandon Laird as New York’s primary trading chips.

Also, I wanted to address age issues regarding Lee and a long term contract. Our source told us that Yankees management “is not worried at all” about Lee’s age, (he’ll turn 33 on August 30), and believe that acquiring him would be the final piece to having the most dominating starting staff in all of baseball.

http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=25421

All Pro
    lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Joba Chamberlain and Gary Sanchez or Brandon Laird (Mariners choice)

Then trade Javy Vazquez and Kevin Russo to Washington for Adam Dunn
    I'm pretty sure Gary Sanchez can't be traded, since he was just signed.

And the Nationals trade proposal makes no sense. First of all Kevin Russo isn't a good prospect, doubt the Nationals want him, and Javy Vazquez is a free agent after this season...just like Adam Dunn. If they trade Dunn, they will wont good young prospects under control for many years. Like Arodys Vizcaino, who we traded for Vazquez. That's how these things work.

Veteran
    Joba Chamberlain and Gary Sanchez or Brandon Laird (Mariners choice) - for Cliff Lee

Then trade Ivan Nova and Kevin Russo to Washington for Adam Dunn

Then trade Javy Vazquez to the Padres for RP Luke Gregerson
    What is this infatuation you have for Adam Dunn? The guy either hits a HR or K's. The Yankees have enough hitters and Posada is going to be DH'ing most of the time now. I can see if the Yankees are desparate for a power hitter. But they have Tex, ARod, Cano & Posada.

Veteran
    If he's hitting 40 HR's I'll live with the K's, and he'll hit 40+ in Yankee Stadium with his eyes closed

Of course I mean his HR's would average out to 40+ over a full season at Yankee Stadium
    I understand that, but Dunn would be IMO a big clog in the Yankee line up striking out most of the time. I would be dissapointed if they traded any type prospect for this guy.

Imagine heading into the playoffs with a rotation of Sabathia-Lee-Burnett-Pettitte and Hughes in the pen (innings limit)

Tough to beat that, especially with the Yankees lineup.

All Pro
    Since when do recently signed minor leaguers have a no trade provision?

I think you're mistaken, but if not offer Chamberlain and Laird

As for Dunn, fine, then give them Ivan Nova instead of Vazquez

Then trade Vazquez to the Padres for RP Luke Gregerson

Padres are contending this year, but they need another starter
    Padres wont trade a huge piece of their pen. that guy has been lights out....in the NL.

Hall Of Fame
    Ham, you can't trade prospects within 12 months of signing them. It's one of MLB's rules so teams can't just sign and trade prospects. (There is a loophole however, if you would designate the player as a PTBNL (You can only be a PTBNL for up to 6 months), and just not announce the player until the 1 year mark has passed, you can push a player through that way. Jeremy Bonderman went to the Tigers via this route in the past).

Sanchez was an early July signing last year, I believe, so in a month or so he should be fair game to be traded. No loophole necessary.

But I just don't buy this report. For one, Lee has shown minimal interest in a long term deal right now, so the idea of trading for him and locking him up prior to hitting the open market seems like wishful thinking at it's finest. For two, the Yankees have rejected the idea of trading for and then paying someone in the past, like Johan Santana. They'd rather wait until they hit the open market. For three, they just don't have a need. Even Vazquez is pitching better lately.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 06-04-2010 at 08:09 PM.

All League

Can You Say "REPEAT"
    You should be able to say that now with their team.

Hall Of Fame
    Yankees don't need him 1. And 2 if they do want him they will sign him in FA. Since when is money an issue with the Yankees. I'm sure they would rather pay a bit more and keep their prospects.

Veteran
    best Philly pitcher in the series last year. Plus he's from Ark. so of course I say "sign the beast"

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

SS Derek Jeter (R)
    2B Robinson Cano (L)
    1B Mark Teixeira (S)
    3B Alex Rodriguez (R)
    DH Adam Dunn (L)
    C Jorge Posada (S)
    CF Curtis Ganderson (L)
    RF Nick Swisher (S)
    LF Brett Gardner (L)

SP CC Sabathia
    SP Cliff Lee
    SP Phillip Hughes
    SP Andy Pettitte
    SP AJ Burnett
    if your trades went through batting Dunn 5th would be a horrible idea.A-Rod would never see another strike.The guys a .250 hitter who strikes out 1/3 of the time.Why would you remove the protection Cano provides A-Rod?
    In your trade scenerio Granderson hits 2,Dunn 7,Cano stays at 5
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-05-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't trust "Yankee sources in Tampa."

Those guys are nuts down there.

Rookie
    Why would the Yankees give up Joba for a guy who will be a free agent at the end of the year. The Yankees can wait until the offseason and go out and sign Lee. CC will recruit him to New York and he will take Andy's spot in the rotation if he retires. If Andy comes back, then Lee takes Javy's spot and the rotation for next year has 5 guys who can win on any night. Pretty scary.

The amazing thing that Cleveland once had both CC and Lee in their rotation. Now they have neither and are one of the worst teams in baseball. Pretty wild

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FYtheSG View Post
    Why would the Yankees give up Joba for a guy who will be a free agent at the end of the year. The Yankees can wait until the offseason and go out and sign Lee. CC will recruit him to New York and he will take Andy's spot in the rotation if he retires. If Andy comes back, then Lee takes Javy's spot and the rotation for next year has 5 guys who can win on any night. Pretty scary.

The amazing thing that Cleveland once had both CC and Lee in their rotation. Now they have neither and are one of the worst teams in baseball. Pretty wild
    Is it really that amazing though? This isn't basketball where the home team can offer the "homegrown" player alot of extra money even if they hit free agency. Given how well those guys pitched there was no way the Indians would pay the salary it would take to keep them there, and unless you make a bunch of good draft picks/trades it can't really shock you when a team like Cleveland enjoys a small window of winning, loses it's most productive pieces, and goes back in the tank.

That website just makes things up. The Yankees have 5 starters, and the last thing they are looking for, barring an injury, is a starting pitcher.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44 View Post
    Is it really that amazing though? This isn't basketball where the home team can offer the "homegrown" player alot of extra money even if they hit free agency. Given how well those guys pitched there was no way the Indians would pay the salary it would take to keep them there, and unless you make a bunch of good draft picks/trades it can't really shock you when a team like Cleveland enjoys a small window of winning, loses it's most productive pieces, and goes back in the tank.
    My point was more that it was amazing that the Indians were able to grow both CC and Lee, not to mention Carmona who was lights out in 07. That is an amazing job of finding young talent. We all knew that they wouldn't be able to keep those guys. In fact, I told a friend of mine that CC would be a Yankee the day he was traded to the Brewers. So I understand how the game is played.

If I remember correctly, Lee had struggled in 07 too.