Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big 12 on life support...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Big 12 on life support...

anyone following the story? six teams, including the Texas schools could be headed to the PAC Ten with Nebraksa and or Mizzu to the Big Ten...

I really hope it doesn't happen....

All League
    Pretty good article detailing the inevitable conference Armageddon that's about to go down.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...xpansion060610

The Big 12 is pretty much screwed after Oklahoma, Ok State, Texas, and Texas Tech bolt. ACC will probably lose Florida State and Miami to the SEC and the Big East is basically even more irrelevant than it already was.

Delany estimates a playoff could gross $880 million. The more conservative, yet exhaustively researched estimate we used in the book comes in at around $780 million. In each case profits would exceed $700 million, meaning the BCS is costing college athletics over half a billion in annual profit.
    The BCS has killed everyone financially. Itís killed them to the point only a dozen or so schools break even each year on athletics. Most athletic departments need student fees or taxpayer funded general university budgets to cover expenses (nearly $900 million combined in 2008-09 according to USA Today).

That includes even Big Ten schools such as Illinois ($4.5 million), Wisconsin ($3.4 million) and Minnesota ($3.4 million). Even a powerhouse such as Ohio State needed to raise ticket prices this year to balance future books.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

NU takes first step to leave for Big Ten....really sad....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...-10391698.html

All League
    http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5267933

The USC football program will receive a two-year postseason ban, a reduction in scholarships and a forfeiture of wins from at least the 2004 season when the NCAA releases its sanctions on Thursday, a source told ESPN's Shelley Smith.
    So does this mean that Auburn should be the 2004 champ? If it's Oklahoma, it just means they were screwed out of a title shot even more than they were 5 years ago.

I wonder what will happen to the Big 12 now that Nebraska is heading to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac 10.

BTW, the Pac 10 and Big Ten can no longer be the Pac 10 or Big Ten, nor can the Big 12 be the Big 12. Name changes have to happen.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanInSec230 View Post
    I wonder what will happen to the Big 12 now that Nebraska is heading to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac 10.

BTW, the Pac 10 and Big Ten can no longer be the Pac 10 or Big Ten, nor can the Big 12 be the Big 12. Name changes have to happen.

Realistically, the Big Ten hasn't had ten members since they expanded a few years ago. Another two more won't kill them. They already have all that Big Ten Network branding stuff out there. They won't change. BTW...Colorado to the Pac-10!

I think what we'll end up seeing is the formation of 5 mega conferences.

The Big 10* (Plus Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers, maybe 2 more..... but they won't get ND)

The Pac-10* (Plus the 6 Big 12 schools)

The SEC (They'll be threatened by the mega-conferences into doing their own expansion, my guess is they raid from the more southern Big East and ACC schools).

A potential Big East / ACC merger for Football (With whats left after the SEC and Big 10 pick them apart)

Mountain West (Plus the remaining 4 Big 12 schools and Boise State)

* Pending new names.

Not sure this will all happen this offseason, but I think that's what's in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I think what we'll end up seeing is the formation of 5 mega conferences.

The Big 10* (Plus Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers, maybe 2 more..... but they won't get ND)

The Pac-10* (Plus the 6 Big 12 schools)

The SEC (They'll be threatened by the mega-conferences into doing their own expansion, my guess is they raid from the more southern Big East and ACC schools).

A potential Big East / ACC merger for Football (With whats left after the SEC and Big 10 pick them apart)

Mountain West (Plus the remaining 4 Big 12 schools and Boise State)

* Pending new names.

Not sure this will all happen this offseason, but I think that's what's in the future.
    yup I think the schools in these conferences will wind up leaving the ncaa,and have a playoff system.

They will make a shi$$ load of money

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Big 12 survives!! Well most of it anyway....Good to see...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Big 12 survives!! Well most of it anyway....Good to see...
    Agreed.

I'm surprised and happy about this..but all this movement isn't over yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Agreed.

we'll see....maybe FSU & Miami to the SEC but that's a stretch....possibly Utah to the PAC Ten....evenutally TCU and another team (SMU?) to the Big 12...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    we'll see....maybe FSU & Miami to the SEC but that's a stretch....possibly Utah to the PAC Ten....evenutally TCU and another team (SMU?) to the Big 12...
    Seems Texas doesn't want a championship game so I would be surprised if the Big 12 expanded again. Personally I don't think the new deal is the long term solution. Texas is gonna make 25mil+, Oklahoma and A&M 20+ and everyone else 15-17. Everyone else is happy now because they just doubled their TV income, but what happens when a team like Oklahoma State or Missouri becomes relevant. Only a matter of time before someone else gets tired of Texas playing the bully and repeats Nebraska's actions.

Utah to the Pac 10 looks like a matter of time. Makes sense for the Pac-10 but ruins what would have been a real good MWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Agreed.

I'm bittersweet about it. Glad the rivalries will stay intact, but this conference is very weak now. Nebraska under Pelini is moving in the right direction. I don't think the fact that the winner of the Texas/Oklahoma game gets a easy path to the BCS championship is a good thing for the sport. This conference really needs A&M to come back strong.

Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan View Post
    I'm bittersweet about it. Glad the rivalries will stay intact, but this conference is very weak now. Nebraska under Pelini is moving in the right direction. I don't think the fact that the winner of the Texas/Oklahoma game gets a easy path to the BCS championship is a good thing for the sport. This conference really needs A&M to come back strong.
    +1

Texas now has a cakewalk to the title game.All they have to do is beat the Sooners and they will finish unbeaten a lot of years.Yes hopefully A&M,maybe k-state with Snyder back and Missou will get better

I give it maybe 3 to 5 years and I think you will see conference expansion come up again.I don't think the big 12 which is now the big 10 will last another decade as it is.

Seems Texas doesn't want a championship game so I would be surprised if the Big 12 expanded again. Personally I don't think the new deal is the long term solution. Texas is gonna make 25mil+, Oklahoma and A&M 20+ and everyone else 15-17. Everyone else is happy now because they just doubled their TV income, but what happens when a team like Oklahoma State or Missouri becomes relevant. Only a matter of time before someone else gets tired of Texas playing the bully and repeats Nebraska's actions.

Utah to the Pac 10 looks like a matter of time. Makes sense for the Pac-10 but ruins what would have been a real good MWC.
    I agree the Mountain West was looking real strong a few days ago,on the verge of getting KU,K state and Missou having gotten Boise now losing Utah

a top 4 of Boise,Utah,Byu,Tcu you can match with and conf in the country.I think they are the big losers in all this

Texas's new "deal" is nothing more then denial of the reality that's around them. In a system like the Big 12 has, the little guys are always going to be getting ****ed over in favor of the big guys, and this new 'deal' does nothing to change that arrangement, and slowly but surely the smaller schools are going to move on to greener pastures. Nebraska and Colorado is just the beginning, there's going to be more. Maybe not this year, but in the future.

You don't think Missouri is a goner the second the Big 10 offers them a spot? C'mon.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 06-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    I agree the Mountain West was looking real strong a few days ago,on the verge of getting KU,K state and Missou having gotten Boise now losing Utah

a top 4 of Boise,Utah,Byu,Tcu you can match with and conf in the country.I think they are the big losers in all this
    I don't see the Pac-10 raiding the Mountain West. Sure, they wanted to expand, but they wanted to expand because of what those Big 12 teams could do for their next TV contract. Utah doesn't have the same kind of appeal in the eyes of TV Networks. They should be patient and wait for the Big 12 to collapse on it's own (Which will happen), and then pick up the pieces.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

its' all cyclical...for years no one could touch USC in the PAC 10, Ohio State was the class of the B10....only the SEC has been truly competitive the past decade almost from top to bottom....

I don't see the Pac-10 raiding the Mountain West. Sure, they wanted to expand, but they wanted to expand because of what those Big 12 teams could do for their next TV contract. Utah doesn't have the same kind of appeal in the eyes of TV Networks. They should be patient and wait for the Big 12 to collapse on it's own (Which will happen), and then pick up the pieces.
    Scratch that, sounds like they have offered Utah a spot. Nice to see they're not making a move purely for $$$ purposes.

Scratch that, sounds like they have offered Utah a spot. Nice to see they're not making a move purely for $$$ purposes.
    It really kinda is for money though. Salt Lake, as pathetic as it sounds, was the biggest market available. Not terrible from a TV perspective to grab the Denver and Salt Lake market + get a championship game.