Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees 1st round pick Cito Culver, SS

Yankees 1st round pick Cito Culver, SS

Baseball America scouting report:

Hidden away in upstate New York—hardly a baseball hotbed—Culver sticks out like a sore thumb. He is the rare Northeast prep product with a legitimate chance to play shortstop in the major leagues. Culver's best tool is his arm, which rates as a 65 on the 20-80 scouting scale. Some scouts report seeing him up to 94 mph off the mound, but he has no interest in pitching. The game comes easily to Culver, whose actions, instincts and range are all plus at times, though he has a long way to go to become a consistent defender, and some believe he profiles as a utility player down the road. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Culver is a solid-average runner and a switch-hitter with a loose, whippy swing from both sides of the plate. He projects to have below-average power and is mostly a slap hitter, but he does generate good bat speed and could be an average hitter as he gets stronger. Culver is an excellent athlete who plays basketball in the winter, and he could take off once he focuses on baseball. He could be drafted in the fourth- to sixth-round range, but he is considered a difficult sign away from his Maryland commitment.
    That's not exactly a flattering scouting report.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Sounds like a stunningly bad pick

Which is not surprising when you consider the baseball network looked, well, stunned

As it turns out, their draft guide had Culver ranked 168 in their TOP 200
    In the end meaningless...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Good story.

Man, tough goings for the kid. His father is in jail for another 6 years. All the kid does is play baseball and he's a Yankee fan. He'll definitely forgo his scholarship to Maryland.

LoHud

What the Yankees see in Cito Culver

Granted, you wouldn’t expect Damon Oppenheimer to say bad things about his first-round draft pick, but the Yankees put their money where their mouth is by drafting Cito Culver with the 32nd pick last night. It’s clear they believe in this kid, and they’ve seen him enough to have a pretty informed opinion. Among the scouts sent to watch Culver was Bill Livesey, who was the Yankees scouting director the year Derek Jeter was drafted.

In the words of Oppenheimer, here’s a quick scouting report on the latest Yankees prospect.

BAT: “Switch hitter. We like him from both sides of the plate. An above average hitter. He has pop in his bat, even with wood. It’s high school, but he’s hitting the ball over the fence in center field with a heavier wood bat than most of these kids we see using. The kid only struck out twice. We saw him all summer against the better stuff, guys throwing hard, and he squared the ball up well during that time so we think he’s going to hit. We think there’s a chance for power too.”

GLOVE: “You always keep your mind open, but his tools and his ability were what attracted us as a shortstop. You never know how long it will take for a guy to get there, and what’s in front of him when he does get there, but I think the fact that he’s in the middle of the field right now, we project him to be a shortstop. Worst-case scenario, if somebody was there blocking his way, you’re talking about a switch hitter that can run and do some other things, it would allow him (to change positions) if you need to.”

ARM: “He has a great arm. He’s up to 95 on the mound, but the idea of being able to get a switch-hitting shortstop is more attractive right now than a thrower, which is really what he is as a pitcher.”

MAKEUP: “He’s a no-nonsense kid. He’s a yes sir, no sir kid. He’s very solid. He’s not going to come out and be real emotional one way or the other. He’s a very solid kid who’s really passionate toward baseball. He’s a good person. We feel he’s a high-character kid. We watched him play real hard, so we felt real good about his makeup.”

SIGNABILITY: “He really wants to be a Yankee. I think that we’re going to get him. We should get him signed and get him out playing really soon. This guy really has a passion to make it through the minor leagues and play in New York.”

All Pro
    Well I expected a glowing review by the Yankees scouting department. They have to justify the alleged reach. But what he had to say satisfies me. It's clear they believe in the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Well I expected a glowing review by the Yankees scouting department. They have to justify the alleged reach. But what he had to say satisfies me. It's clear they believe in the kid.
    They didn't have to pick him, so I doubt they feel like they need to justify the pick. They picked him because they liked him. Well find out if it was a smart pick. It's also been reported someone from the Twins said he wouldn't of lasted until the Yankees 2nd round pick. The Twins took a different SS with their pick, so it seems legit. Yankeea also used their 2nd round pick on a HS shortstop out of California. I like the idea of collecting shortstops, like we have with catchers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quote
    He could be drafted in the fourth- to sixth-round range
    No matter how Yankee fans try and look at this situation; this was a pretty stupid move by the Yankees front office.

Not many teams would have taken this guy before the 4th, 5th or even 6th rounds... Why the Yankees took this kid during the 1st round is beyond me. They could have had this kid during rounds 2,3,4 and maybe even the 5th and 6th. To draft him during the 1st round? Horrid.

It really doesn't matter though. When you have a team, that can afford to pay players billions of dollars... It's a moot point.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    It really doesn't matter though. When you have a team, that can afford to pay players billions of dollars... It's a moot point.
    Yes. The Yankees pay players Billions of dollars.

We are sorry.

BILLIONS.

-

No matter how Yankee fans try and look at this situation; this was a pretty stupid move by the Yankees front office.

Not many teams would have taken this guy before the 4th, 5th or even 6th rounds... Why the Yankees took this kid during the 1st round is beyond me. They could have had this kid during rounds 2,3,4 and maybe even the 5th and 6th. To draft him during the 1st round? Horrid.

"Stupid move", "Horrid"... Have you seen him play? And it has been reported the Twins would have taken him before the Yankees 2nd round pick.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-08-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Banned
    Pena is a our Shortstop of the future and Jeter is our LF/DH of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    No he's not...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I think Jeter will bow out before that happens.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Not to derail the thread but whats the deal with the guy the mets took. To lazy/dont care enough to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Not to derail the thread but whats the deal with the guy the mets took. To lazy/dont care enough to google it.
    There is a draft thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    There is a draft thread.
    Whoops, my bad. Im only used to Mets vs Yankees threads. My mistake.

Banned
    It would be pretty damn funny watching Jeter try and play LF. Lets put it this way, he's no Carl Crawford.

Also, I'm not sure why the Yankees would ever want a player, who's already 35 years old, to become their "DH of the future". What future? He'll be lucky to play another 3 seasons before hitting the wall.

Jeter may be a really good ball player as of right now, he may have been great in years past, but I'm sorry... He doesn't have enough batting power to man the DH position.

And you know all of this how exactly?

It would be pretty damn funny watching Jeter try and play LF. Lets put it this way, he's no Carl Crawford.

Also, I'm not sure why the Yankees would ever want a player, who's already 35 years old, to become their "DH of the future". What future? He'll be lucky to play another 3 seasons before hitting the wall.

Jeter may be a really good ball player as of right now, he may have been great in years past, but I'm sorry... He doesn't have enough batting power to man the DH position.
    LOL

Go back to your hole.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...211169&page=23