Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: What exactly is an extended spring training game?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is an extended spring training game?

I notice beltran went 3 for 10 in an extended spring training game, How do you get 10 at bats in one game. I always just assumed an extended spring traing game was a regular minor league game, just in port st lucie

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    I notice beltran went 3 for 10 in an extended spring training game, How do you get 10 at bats in one game. I always just assumed an extended spring traing game was a regular minor league game, just in port st lucie
    lolz I saw that stat line and was like wtf.

Seriously confused

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its just a bullcrap game that doesnt count for anything, no crowd, used to give guys work and has no real limits, time constraints..

Could be wrong though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I think its just a bullcrap game that doesnt count for anything, no crowd, used to give guys work and has no real limits, time constraints..

Could be wrong though.
    Yup, that's pretty much right. NY-Penn League (Staten Island Yankees, Brooklyn Cyclones) is a short season league.. they don't start for a few more weeks... most those players are at extended spring training and were drafted last year and this year.

Beltran probably doesn't want to go to bum f*ck Buffalo to rehab..so he's probably working out at the Minor League facility in Florida and playing in extended spring training games at home.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-10-2010 at 10:44 PM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yup, that's pretty much right. NY-Penn League (Staten Island Yankees, Brooklyn Cyclones) is a short season league.. they don't start for a few more weeks... most those players are at extended spring training and were drafted last year and this year.

Beltran probably doesn't want to go to bum f*ck Buffalo to rehab..so he's probably working out at the Minor League facility in Florida and playing in extended spring training games at home.
    Hey the dude from 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' has been to a bunch of cool looking eateries in Buffalo. Kinda makes me wanna take the trip to see the Bisons play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The beauty of extended spring training, is the rules can be debateable. Like when Reyes was playing extended spring training before he came back, he lead-off for both teams in the same game in order to get himself as many at-bats as possible in as short of time as possible. I would assume that's what Beltran did if he had 10 at-bats.

Plus, there's limits to how long an official rehab stint can be, so they wouldn't want Beltran to start the clock on that by playing in a minor league game, whereas extended spring training doesn't count towards that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    The beauty of extended spring training, is the rules can be debateable. Like when Reyes was playing extended spring training before he came back, he lead-off for both teams in the same game in order to get himself as many at-bats as possible in as short of time as possible. I would assume that's what Beltran did if he had 10 at-bats.

Plus, there's limits to how long an official rehab stint can be, so they wouldn't want Beltran to start the clock on that by playing in a minor league game, whereas extended spring training doesn't count towards that.
    Beltran hasnt beeen cleared for baseball activities but he has played in extended spring training games

Is he a DH down there, the situation is real confusing

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    Beltran hasnt beeen cleared for baseball activities but he has played in extended spring training games

Is he a DH down there, the situation is real confusing
    My understanding is he is playing the field and all, but he's not allowed to run at 100% until he gets the full clearance from the doctors. It's more jogging then running right now.