Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod's sore groin may be related to hip

A-Rod's sore groin may be related to hip

BALTIMORE -- Alex Rodriguez uttered the two scariest words in his vast universe last night: Dr. Philippon.

"I don't want to predict or guess," the Yankee third baseman said when quizzed on the right groin problem that forced him out of last night's 4-3 loss to the Orioles at Camden Yards after one inning.

"I am going to see [team physician] Dr. [Chris] Ahmad, and I am sure we will talk to Dr. Philippon and get a better idea."

BOX SCORE

Marc Philippon is the surgeon who repaired a torn labrum in Rodriguez's right hip in March 2009 and oversaw the rehab process throughout last season. Everything went so well that Philippon said further surgery after the World Series was not required.
    So, could this groin problem that surfaced Sunday in Toronto be related?

"I am not a doctor," said Rodriguez, who will likely be stuffed into the Carl Pavano Memorial MRI tube today.

Rodriguez said he felt cramping prior to batting practice and then again a dozen minutes before the game but believed it would be well enough for him to play. But when Rodriguez couldn't move on an Adam Jones RBI ground single in the first, it was clear something was wrong.

By the time the Yankees batted in the second inning, the light-hitting Ramiro Pena was batting cleanup.

And of course, Pena came up in the sixth inning after Mark Teixeira led off with a double and the score tied, 3-3. Manager Joe Girardi had Pena bunt Teixeira to third, but Jake Arrieta, who made his big-league debut, walked Robinson Cano intentionally, got the ice-cold Jorge Posada to fly to left, walked Curtis Granderson intentionally after Cano went to second on Posada's fly and then fanned Marcus Thames to leave the bases full.

"The hip is fine," Rodriguez predicted. "But I was very disappointed to come out of the game."

Two runs by the Orioles in the first, when A.J. Burnett (6-4) hit two batters and gave up two hits, put the Yankees in a hole they recovered from by scoring once in the second and twice in the third.

Scott Moore drove his first homer of the season, a shot over the right-center field wall, in the fifth to tie the score, 3-3.

Burnett absorbed the loss when Luke Scott's fly ball to right carried farther than Nick Swisher, Burnett and Scott believed and grazed Swisher's glove at the wall and went for a triple.

"He threw the bat down," Swisher said of Scott. "I was right at the wall and I thought, 'I got this.' The next thing you know ..."

The ball was rolling toward the first base foul line and Scott was pulling into third. With the infield in, Jones rifled a double to right-center to score Scott and give the O's a 4-3 lead.

"A.J. battled -- he didn't have command of his fastball and had to go with his curveball," Girardi said of Burnett, who is 11-3 against the Orioles after giving up four runs and eight hits in 6 2/3 innings.

Losing to the Orioles is bad enough. If the loss cost the Yankees their cleanup hitter in a lineup that is currently getting very little from Posada and Francisco Cervelli, the Yankees are in a big bind.

In one breath, Rodriguez said he is fine. In the next he isn't sure.

"It's frustrating because there is no pain," Rodriguez said. "I am not worried, but we have to figure it out. I don't want to predict."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...#ixzz0qYyr7smM

A-Rod had a really good May.

.330 BA .534 SLG .942 OPS 5 HR 27 RBIs 6 2B

It is becoming a little worrisome, 8 HR is the lowest amount of HRs through his first 58 games of the season since his rookie season. Something hasn't been right, he hasn't gotten locked in.

What sucks is hes being paid like a elite player, highest paid in the game. Making $33 mil this year and makes a load for a while, the hip was said that it could shorten his career.

For this team to win a championship again they need Teixeira and A-Rod to be elite players like they are suppose to be.

Banned
    If Arod is out for a long time with this injury (1 month +) the Yankees absolutely need to get another bat. I can live with defensive whiz Pena playing 3B but we can't have both him and the Thameses and Russos in the lineup at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    A-Rod had a really good May.

.330 BA .534 SLG .942 OPS 5 HR 27 RBIs 6 2B

It is becoming a little worrisome, 8 HR is the lowest amount of HRs through his first 58 games of the season since his rookie season. Something hasn't been right, he hasn't gotten locked in.

What sucks is hes being paid like a elite player, highest paid in the game. Making $33 mil this year and makes a load for a while, the hip was said that it could shorten his career.

For this team to win a championship again they need Teixeira and A-Rod to be elite players like they are suppose to be.
    With Cano's elite play, they really don't need both of them to be playing at an elite level.

Hip and groin issues are often related although I find it tough to believe that it's a big deal long term because he's already playing at a fairly high level. People bring up money but let's be honest, It's not really a big deal with the Yankees.

No big imo. There is a surgery they can do with your hip to avoid groin issues, such as what Gaborik had 2 years ago with the Rangers. (with the Wild at the time) and now Gaborik has been the healthiest he's been in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    If Arod is out for a long time with this injury (1 month +) the Yankees absolutely need to get another bat. I can live with defensive whiz Pena playing 3B but we can't have both him and the Thameses and Russos in the lineup at the same time.
    He won't be... At least in the games that matter. Russo or Thames simply don't see the field as long as Gardner, Grandy, and Swisher are healthy.

Can't stand how some yankees fans immediately want to look to trade or bringing someone in. Continuity is absolutely huge in sports. A big reason the Yanks won it all last year is because they were smart enough to just sit back at the deadline and only bring in a couple role players.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He won't be... At least in the games that matter. Russo or Thames simply don't see the field as long as Gardner, Grandy, and Swisher are healthy.

Can't stand how some yankees fans immediately want to look to trade or bringing someone in. Continuity is absolutely huge in sports. A big reason the Yanks won it all last year is because they were smart enough to just sit back at the deadline and only bring in a couple role players.
    I'm not saying make a trade but the Yankees have been struggling with injuries all season long, Tex has been struggling and Arod, even when healthy, has been hitting but not for power. Jermaine Dye is a very good hitter who is available and wouldn't cost us anything in a trade. He'd at least be good insurance if Arod is out for a long time. Continuity is great when you're continuing something that's actually working.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 06-11-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Continuity is great when you're continuing something that's actually working.

I'm not saying make a trade but the Yankees have been struggling with injuries all season long, Tex has been struggling and Arod, even when healthy, has been hitting but not for power. Jermaine Dye is a very good hitter who is available and wouldn't cost us anything in a trade. He'd at least be good insurance if Arod is out for a long time. Continuity is great when you're continuing something that's actually working.
    Yeah the Yanks are realling sputtering, only 14 over .500.

If they expect the fans to come out to these games while they march that disaster of a team onto the field, well they better get their act together.

God forbid the Yanks actually play badly one of these years. I can only imagine what the fans will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    God forbid the Yanks actually play badly one of these years. I can only imagine what the fans will do.

When your fans accept losing, what incentive does the team have to put a winning club on the field? Maybe that's the Mets problem.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-11-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

BTW.. When your fans except losing, what incentive does the team have to put a winning club on the field? Maybe thats the Mets problem.
    This just goes to show how out of touch you really are that you would classify an 89 win year as playing badly.

I'm pretty sure half of you would't even follow baseball if you had to watch the Mets...not that I would blame you.

Banned
    Yeah the Yanks are realling sputtering, only 14 over .500.

If they expect the fans to come out to these games while they march that disaster of a team onto the field, well they better get their act together.

Whatever, if only we could become used to losing like the cool Mets fans are. Being complacent is a good thing if you're a Mets fan I guess. As for the Yankee-frontrunner innuendo I never even saw the Yankees make the playoffs until 1995 I grew up watching this team suck with Greg Cadaret and Hensley Meulens.

When your fans except losing, what incentive does the team have to put a winning club on the field? Maybe that's the Mets problem.
    First of all, its accept not except.

Second, the incentive is always to win. No team doesn't want to win its just that some teams actually have restrictions as to how they can build and manage their team. Baseball is a funny sport and a few bad decisions and contracts can cripple a team for years. The Yankees can shrug off those same mistakes and still field an all star team year in and year out. Sometimes you just don't know how lucky you've got it.

Banned
    This just goes to show how out of touch you really are that you would classify an 89 win year as playing badly.

I'm pretty sure half of you would't even follow baseball if you had to watch the Mets...not that I would blame you.
    Yet we somehow manage to follow football in spite of rooting for a team that once went 4-28 during a two year stretch, hasn't even been to a Super Bowl in over 40 years, recently went 4-12 in 2005 and 2007 and has a history of awful regular season collapses. Oh yeah and I'm also a Knicks fan.

Yep, frontrunneritis.

Whatever, if only we could become used to losing like the cool Mets fans are. Being complacent is a good thing if you're a Mets fan I guess. As for the Yankee-frontrunner innuendo I never even saw the Yankees make the playoffs until 1995 I grew up watching this team suck with Greg Cadaret and Hensley Meulens.
    I never brought up the front runner argument so you can put that one away. I don't blame you though since dealing with Tucker on a regular basis must give you a hair trigger.

I just find it funny that you can say a team 14 games over .500 in June is "not working"

Banned
    I never brought up the front runner argument so you can put that one away. I don't blame you though since dealing with Tucker on a regular basis must give you a hair trigger.

I just find it funny that you can say a team 14 games over .500 in June is "not working"
    I don't want to go into a division/wildcard race with a lineup potentially featuring a bottom third of Cervelli, Pena and Thames/Russo. Especially when the AL East has the best team in baseball (Rays) and another team capable of getting the wildcard (Sux). That lineup would be just fine in the inferior NL but the AL East is another story. If that's supposed to make me a spoiled Yankee fan then fine I guess it does. I'm a spoiled Yankees fan and you're the brave Mets fan. Happy?

Tell me... what's the name of this website we post on?

Jets Insider VIP
    If Teixeira wasn't hitting like such a punk this year, the Yanks could survive with ARod's prolonged absence.

Teix is really infuriating me. I can't lie. It bugs the crap out of me. Guys are hurt, others are old. Teix is still young and healthy and he's hot garbage at the plate. He needs to start carrying this team.

I don't want to go into a division/wildcard race with a lineup potentially featuring a bottom third of Cervelli, Pena and Thames/Russo. Especially when the AL East has the best team in baseball (Rays) and another team capable of getting the wildcard (Sux). That lineup would be just fine in the inferior NL but the AL East is another story. If that's supposed to make me a spoiled Yankee fan then fine I guess it does. I'm a spoiled Yankees fan and you're the brave Mets fan. Happy?
    lol.

I get no joy from this trust me. I also think Mets fans are the last to be called "brave". Royals fans should get that title hands down.

I just find it funny the differences in opinion between the fans and non fans. I see the Yanks with one of the best records in baseball and poised for a strong title defense where you see a poor product stumbling along while your finger hovers over the panic button.

So yes, you're spoiled.

Tell me... what's the name of this website we post on?
    Yeah baseball is different though. A lot more time to suffer thorough games and a lot more time spent analyzing the play of the team.

Football is all about parity too. On any given sunday any team can beat another team but if you are the Orioles starting a quadruple A junk baller while the Yanks are trotting out Sabathia...well you know its going to be a long night.

First of all, its accept not except.

Second, the incentive is always to win. No team doesn't want to win its just that some teams actually have restrictions as to how they can build and manage their team. Baseball is a funny sport and a few bad decisions and contracts can cripple a team for years. The Yankees can shrug off those same mistakes and still field an all star team year in and year out. Sometimes you just don't know how lucky you've got it.

I love when Mets fans complain about payroll, maybe instead of blaming the payroll you blame the management which is really why the Mets suck. The Mets have the ability to spend A LOT of money too, maybe not as much but that isn't why the Yankees are winning championships and the Mets are losing.

Most of the Yankees team last year were players that came from the farm system. Yankees had the highest or 2nd highest percentage of players on the team that were farmed.

Get over it, the Mets are not a small market team and nobody is going to feel sorry for them when they have more resources than most teams too but still suck...