Thread: Brett Gardner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Brett Gardner

.322 BA, 406 OBP, 44 R, 22 SB with great defense. He's turning into a real nice player. Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth are not going to be Yankees.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-15-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we get Crawford or Werth next off-season either but more because I think Jeter is eventually going to move to a corner OF position in a couple years. He can't play Shortstop forever and I doubt he'll want to ever become a DH. Werth will be signed by the Red Sox and I have no idea where Crawford goes but he's definitely not staying in Tampa.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I don't think we get Crawford or Werth next off-season either but more because I think Jeter is eventually going to move to a corner OF position in a couple years. He can't play Shortstop forever and I doubt he'll want to ever become a DH. Werth will be signed by the Red Sox and I have no idea where Crawford goes but he's definitely not staying in Tampa.
    Dont think Jetes will do that. His batting eye aint what it was, and he wont embarrass himself by being a weak-hitting, poor outfielder on a team where he has all those rings.

Just my opinion.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Dont think Jetes will do that. His batting eye aint what it was, and he wont embarrass himself by being a weak-hitting, poor outfielder on a team where he has all those rings.

Just my opinion.
    Jeter is still a solid hitter and leadoff man and will continue to be for several more years. There are far worse hitting outfielders out there starting everyday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeter is still a solid hitter and leadoff man and will continue to be for several more years. There are far worse hitting outfielders out there starting everyday.
    He's not an outfielder for one.

He may still hit a little (besides infield practice for the opposing team), but to combine his declining hitting skills with an adventure as a new outfielder would end in disaster. I think Derek knows this.

I dont think we will ever see this.

Just my opinion.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    He's not an outfielder for one.

He may still hit a little (besides infield practice for the opposing team), but to combine his declining hitting skills with an adventure as a new outfielder would end in disaster. I think Derek knows this.

I dont think we will ever see this.

Just my opinion.
    It's much easier to play outfield than to play shortstop plus Jeter will still have the range. Do you really think Jeter would be a worse defensive outfielder than Jason Bay, 40 year old Gary Sheffield or Hideki Matsui up until last season when he became a full-time DH? The money and fame are way too good for him to leave early especially if he can still hit and be an effective leadoff man which he is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    The money and fame are way too good for him to leave early especially if he can still hit and be an effective leadoff man which he is.
    His Yankee legacy will ensure that Money and fame will never be an issue.

A second rate outfielder, which he would be on his best day, will not be an appropriate exit for DJ.

Plus, again, his hitting skills...are not on an upswing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    All 3 Yankee OFers are under 30.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Jeter eventually moves to dh.

This year is the first year I see decline in Jeter,he's still damn good,but his hitting is a notch below usual and his range has been awful this year.Figure Jorge dh's a lot next year maybe Jeter starts playing a lot of dh in 2012,A-rod may have to as well in the future

No to Werth and Crawford.Yes to Cliff Lee

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    .322 BA, 406 OBP, 44 R, 22 SB with great defense. He's turning into a real nice player. Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth are not going to be Yankees.
    I said this a month ago. Why pay Crawford huge money when you have Gardner for a tenth of the cost?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff Lee is who we are getting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think even the Yankees have any idea what they eventually will do with Jeter. Pretty much they are going to keep running him out at SS until he can't play it anymore. When that happens he most likely also won't be able to hit enough to play everyday (think Bernie). And he certainly won't be able to hit enough to DH or play in the corner OF. So my guess is they'll keep playing him at SS, and after that it'll be an awkward transition to more of a bench player.

As for Crawford, I wouldn't dismiss the option of trading Granderson, moving Gardner to CF, and signing Crawford. Gardner is a bit of a waste in LF afterall - but he's certainly proving he's an everyday player, even if he regresses a bit in the 2nd half.

And the whole Cliff Lee thing... Well we got CC, AJ, and Hughes under contract for sure. With Andy pitching this well, and him willing to take a 1 year contract, I'd bet on him coming back at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees don't want to sign another pitcher to a long contract whose about to enter his mid 30s. Despite the fact that Cliff Lee is really, really, really good.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 06-16-2010 at 09:33 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who may not recall, Yogi Berra played a lot of left field late in his career and was pretty decent.
    And Mickey Mantle played a lot at first base. Guys move around.
    As for Jeter, he's hitting .290 - not exactly a bum. He had 200 hits last year and has a good shot this year as well. He's got 4 more years in the lineup.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    For those who may not recall, Yogi Berra played a lot of left field late in his career and was pretty decent.
    And Mickey Mantle played a lot at first base. Guys move around.
    As for Jeter, he's hitting .290 - not exactly a bum. He had 200 hits last year and has a good shot this year as well. He's got 4 more years in the lineup.
    Well 1B is taken. And LF is taken unless they trade Granderson and then downgrade the team and put Jeter in LF and move Gardner to CF (similar offense, worse defense). We have no idea how much longer he has in the lineup. As of this moment, he's regressed from last year's .871 OPS to this years .781 OPS. Sure, he might be able to play for another 4 years with an OPS around .800, but he might not. We just don't know.

Oh and I meant to post this that I just read, which would go against my Yankees not wanting to sign another pitcher to a long term deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...lee/index.html

Lee's AL pedigree could bring extra teams into the mix, and even a couple richer ones. Take the Yankees for instance. The Yankees aren't necessarily seeking a starting pitcher now as they are understandably pleased with their five-man rotation and likely to become intimately involved in a trade for a top starter only in the event of injury. However, according to people familiar with their thinking, they are said to be so enamored with Lee that they are champing at the bit for next year and plan to put in a call in the coming days just in case they are pleasantly surprised at Seattle's asking price.