Thread: Revis issue spotlights big problem within the NFL

Revis issue spotlights big problem within the NFL

Let me go on record as saying that although Revis maybe one of, if not THE best, defensive backs in the NFL, that there comes a time when having a high paid player like that can really hurt the team.

If the Jets pay Revis what he wants or close to it there is no doubt that they are going to eventually have to sacrifice talent at other positions because they are not going to be able to afford to pay them. Revis has said he wants his pay because you never know but how many people get $15 million in their lifetime not to mention in one year ? Even after taxes one year at that salary is enough to retire on.

The Jets could refuse any demands by Revis and say "you signed a contract either play and get paid or sit and don't get paid". I frankly am sick and tired of players signing contracts and then refusing to live up to them when at the same time busts like Gholston sign huge contracts while really underperforming and the team is really handcuffed in what they can do.

I would hate to see Revis go but if it meant holding onto talent at other positions then I say let him go and collect his big paycheck elsewhere while the team suffers because they couldn't afford to get more quality players.

cool thread idea.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Sg3's head just flew off.

-

Is there a contract issue with Revis? Why hasn't there been more talk about this?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=32green;3626265]Sg3's head just flew off.

-[/QUOTE]

Mind reader...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Junk;3626273]Is there a contract issue with Revis? Why hasn't there been more talk about this?[/QUOTE]

You owe me a keyboard.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;3626241][B]Let me go on record as saying[/B] that although Revis maybe one of, if not THE best, defensive backs in the NFL, that there comes a time when having a high paid player like that can really hurt the team.

If the Jets pay Revis what he wants or close to it there is no doubt that they are going to eventually have to sacrifice talent at other positions because they are not going to be able to afford to pay them. Revis has said he wants his pay because you never know but how many people get $15 million in their lifetime not to mention in one year ? Even after taxes one year at that salary is enough to retire on.

The Jets could refuse any demands by Revis and say "you signed a contract either play and get paid or sit and don't get paid". I frankly am sick and tired of players signing contracts and then refusing to live up to them when at the same time busts like Gholston sign huge contracts while really underperforming and the team is really handcuffed in what they can do.

I would hate to see Revis go but if it meant holding onto talent at other positions then I say let him go and collect his big paycheck elsewhere while the team suffers because they couldn't afford to get more quality players.[/QUOTE]

Whoa! You really went on the record with this? Why not stay off the record.....you know, keep it on the down low?

:P

[QUOTE=rmeyer52;3626241]Let me go on record as saying that although Revis maybe one of, if not THE best, defensive backs in the NFL, that there comes a time when having a high paid player like that can really hurt the team.

I would hate to see Revis go but if it meant holding onto talent at other positions then I say let him go and collect his big paycheck elsewhere while the team suffers because they couldn't afford to get more quality players.[/QUOTE]

Did you think of this all by yourself? MT give him a job!!I guess that wine is real potent in Simi Valley.

[QUOTE=rmeyer52;3626241]Let me go on record as saying that although Revis maybe one of, if not THE best, defensive backs in the NFL, that there comes a time when having a high paid player like that can really hurt the team.

I have to agree with you. While Revis is the best DB to play the game the money he is asking for can really hancuff the team long term. football is a team sport what happens next year when the Jets cant resign Braylon Edwards or Holmes or If Shone Greene turns out to be another Chris Johnson and wants 5-7 million a year? How about mangold, Harris and Fergusan? what happens once Ellis contract ends or retires what do the Jets do for getting a decent DE who wants 4- 8 million a year. I love Revis but Im with you I rather let Revis play out his contract and trade him. With Wilson being drafted and having Cromartie I think the Jets will still be set at CB and can still have a well rounded team that will compete year after year. Fans will bash you for this post because their love for 1 player is greater than having the realization that football is a team sport that needs more then 1 player. About the only player you give that kind of money is a franchise QB who is the main cog in your offense. which brings me to that point what happens if Sanchez is the 2nd coming of Willie Joe and he wants more Money than Revis?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Junk;3626273]Is there a contract issue with Revis? Why hasn't there been more talk about this?[/QUOTE]

So good.

I've got a solution. Let's call the new stadium the House of Revis, and consider that payment. If the Giants complain, tell them that we'll play them for naming rights.

There, problem solved. Maybe I should've created my own thread.

Jets Insider VIP

I thought when I read this initially yesterday that this was one of the funniest lines ever on JI. Loved it and still do!!! And it encapsulates my feelings exactly!!!!:D

All Pro
    All we're missing now is an appearance by Bongo.

Revipolooza time!