Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Preparing Biggest Contract ever for a DB (merged)

Jets Preparing Biggest Contract ever for a DB (merged)

[B]Citing sources familiar with the situation, Newsday's Bob Glauber reports the Jets are willing to hand Darrelle Revis the biggest contract ever given to a defensive back.[/B]

[I]The Jets aren't prepared to meet Revis' asking price of an annual salary in excess of Nnamdi Asomugha's, but they are willing to approach $100 million by adding six years to his current deal. The Jets' proposed deal would average $12 million per season, keeping Revis in green and white through age 33. Revis, however, is stubbornly sticking to his demands that his contract exceed Asomugha's in annual salary. The Jets are being more than fair here considering Revis is under contract for three more years[/I].

If he turns this down I hope we signe Mangold and tell him we are done negoitiating.....

Veteran
    SOURCE??

Edit: Link pls.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3626341][B]Citing sources familiar with the situation, Newsday's Bob Glauber reports the Jets are willing to hand Darrelle Revis the biggest contract ever given to a defensive back.[/B]

[I]The Jets aren't prepared to meet Revis' asking price of an annual salary in excess of Nnamdi Asomugha's, but they are willing to approach $100 million by adding six years to his current deal. The Jets' proposed deal would average $12 million per season, keeping Revis in green and white through age 33. Revis, however, is stubbornly sticking to his demands that his contract exceed Asomugha's in annual salary. The Jets are being more than fair here considering Revis is under contract for three more years[/I].

If he turns this down I hope we signe Mangold and tell him we are done negoitiating.....[/QUOTE]

Two things:

1) How much guaranteed is obviously important.

2) If it's approaching 40 and he turns it down I'll officially be on the "Rip Revis" bandwagon. Until that happens and is confirmed it's all negoatiating and I'm not mad at either.

[url]http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;jsessionid=33319440CB690615941B.2727?site=newsday&view=jets_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=jets&feed:i=1.2029240&nopaging=1[/url]

[QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3626347]SOURCE??

Edit: Link pls.[/QUOTE]

It is on the front page of rotoworld.com....with a link to Newsday. See below

[url]http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;jsessionid=33319440CB690615941B.2727?site=newsday&view=jets_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=jets&feed:i=1.2029240&nopaging=1[/url]

Undrafted Free Agent
    I hope this gets the job done... if he still balks at that, then I'm done with the guy... he can play out his 3 years and move on

Veteran
    This is a very good article, past that one snippet. Thank you for the post.

[quote]
    After an hour heart-to-heart Wednesday afternoon in Rex Ryan 's office, the latest Darrelle Revis behavioral saga is officially over. Two days after Revis' brief "sick-out" to display his anger at the slow pace of contract negotiations, the coach and the cornerback pronounced themselves on the same page.

Now it remains to be seen whether it will have any bearing on Revis' long-term future. Or whether Revis will begin to realize that the team really is ready to make a huge investment in the 24-year-old star. More on that in a minute.

For now, it's all good.

"Being one of the leaders on this team, and showing guys how to do things right, a lot of young guys are looking up to me," Revis said after practice at New Meadowlands Stadium.

Message received.

"We had a great talk, and we're on the same page, seeing eye to eye," Ryan said. "We have the same goals and the same vision for this team."

Even so, there's no guarantee Revis will resolve his contract situation soon. And Ryan admitted that there's no telling whether Revis will report to training camp on time. The contract situations of several core players remain at issue, including disgruntled center Nick Mangold, tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and linebacker David Harris .

Revis is clearly front and center, and there has been no movement in talks aimed at a new deal. But there are a few things you should know that might influence the perception - created largely by Revis' and Mangold's critical comments - that the Jets are unwilling to invest significant money in their core players.

According to sources familiar with the situation, the Jets are willing to reward Revis with the biggest contract ever given to a defensive back, one that could even exceed $100 million.

Not only that, but the team is further along in negotiations with Ferguson on a long-term deal than is widely known. An agreement could be reached before the start of training camp, barring unexpected complications, according to people familiar with Ferguson's situation.

Mangold and the team aren't close to reaching a new deal, however. And although the Jets appear willing to invest in the center long-term, they also are leaving open the possibility that they'll let him play this season with his current contract and use the franchise tag next year, thereby limiting his options in 2011.

Harris isn't expected to get a new deal this year, but the team is likely to reward him with a deal next year that will make him one of the league's highest-paid linebackers.

For now, Revis continues to be under the most scrutiny, and he continues to demand a deal that will exceed Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's three years for $45.3 million. The Jets are unwilling to meet Revis' demand for an average of $16.2 million per season.

What the Jets appear ready to do instead is add six years to the existing deal, a total package that, when added to the remaining $21 million Revis is owed would approach $100 million or more. That deal, which would average around $12 million per season, would keep Revis with the Jets until he is 33.

Revis told me after practice he didn't want to get into specific numbers. "I'm just trying to stay focused," he said. He added, however, he stands by his demand that his contract's yearly average must exceed Asomugha's.

So despite yesterday's détente, Revis still isn't convinced the Jets are showing loyalty. Funny, but how is a team not showing loyalty by going to a player with three years left on his contract, and then offering him a deal worth more money than most athletes will see in a lifetime?

If that's not loyalty, then what is?
    [/quote]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3626341][I] they are willing to approach $100 million [/I].....[/QUOTE]
    wow

RevRod

[SIZE=1]take the deal[/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    nice..1 step closer gentlemen..get ready nick, you're next...sucks for the haters but the jets just opened a 5 year window for themselves.

Unless Revis has a fast out from that contract I cant imagine he would take it, even if the funny money reads 100 million. 9 years is way too long for him to be under contract.

[QUOTE=Jason423;3626362]Unless Revis has a fast out from that contract I cant imagine he would take it, even if the funny money reads 100 million. 9 years is way too long for him to be under contract.[/QUOTE]

Jason....If the guaranteed is in the neighborhood of $45 million, you dont think its the smart move for Revis?

This is definitely the smart move for the Jets....an average of $12 a year is very nice and they can spread things out for so long. But I think its also pretty smart for Revis. You want to "take care of your family"...there ya go, long term security on the team you supposedly want to be on. Its all on him if he declines.....

[QUOTE=Jason423;3626362]Unless Revis has a fast out from that contract I cant imagine he would take it, even if the funny money reads 100 million. 9 years is way too long for him to be under contract.[/QUOTE]

He is already under contract for 3 more years, so this isn't like signing 9 years away as a FA, he is really just signing away 6 years and those 6 years are towards the end of his career when he would be less likely to get such a big contract on the FA market.

Think about it, if he signs just a 6 year deal, then he becomes a FA when he is 31. How many DB's get big bucks when they enter the FA market at 31?

I agree with the posters above, he should take this (or something very close) or I say good riddance.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3626358] And although the Jets appear willing to invest in the center long-term, they also are leaving open the possibility that they'll let him play this season with his current contract and use the franchise tag next year, thereby limiting his options in 2011.
    [/QUOTE]

I know it's a business, but my sense of propriety about what is right and what is wrong gets completely dinged by this....Nick has been nothing but a good soldier while revis whines like a beeatch....

Please tell me it wont come to this.

:mad:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is pretty clearly an article written by someone with links to Jets management leaks.

Its not really surprising that in response to Revis's b!tching, the Jets are going to start their PR campaign as well.

Now, they've gotten the story into the media that the Jets are about to offer the "richest deal ever" for a CB. What does that mean? Who the f*ck knows? As Jason points out, effectively, its a 9 year deal. We don't have any idea where along the contract the bulk of the money is, how much up front he's getting and how much is guaranteed. If its 6 years on top of the $21m over 3 years, he's getting $79 million over 6 yrs, from 2013 - 2019.

But, its a good story for the Jets. Means nothing, but at least they're not getting their asses kicked in the court of public perception.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3626379]This is pretty clearly an article written by someone with links to Jets management leaks.

Its not really surprising that in response to Revis's b!tching, the Jets are going to start their PR campaign as well.

Now, they've gotten the story into the media that the Jets are about to offer the "richest deal ever" for a CB. What does that mean? Who the f*ck knows? As Jason points out, effectively, its a 9 year deal. We don't have any idea where along the contract the bulk of the money is, how much up front he's getting and how much is guaranteed. If its 6 years on top of the $21m over 3 years, he's getting $79 million over 6 yrs, from 2013 - 2019.

But, its a good story for the Jets. Means nothing, but at least they're not getting their asses kicked in the court of public perception.[/QUOTE]

+1 love the level-headiness

Hall Of Fame
    Risks with that length contract will go both ways Jason. The up front money and a Leon Washington event would really put us in a bad place. Obviously the up front money needs to be elaborated.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3626379]This is pretty clearly an article written by someone with links to Jets management leaks.

But, its a good story for the Jets. Means nothing, but at least they're not getting their asses kicked in the court of public perception.[/QUOTE]
    Precisely so. At least the Jets have decided not to concede the entire spinning field to Mr Revis any more.

Nice...now lets hope he accepts it...

[QUOTE=EM31;3626384]Risks with that length contract will go both ways Jason. The up front money and a Leon Washington event would really put us in a bad place. Obviously the up front money needs to be elaborated.[/QUOTE]

Usually with a contract of that length the team benefits much more than the player. The total figure is so high because of backloaded money that the player never sees. The guaranteed portion is going to be the same regardless of whether or not its a 6 year or a 9 year deal so the team has the same level of protection (or lack thereof) in the event of a catastrophic injury. If the players level begins to tail off in year 5 or 6 they can renegotiate the deal with little threat by the player due to the huge cap savings the team would get by cutting the player. Players usually hate having their rights controlled by the team that long. The 6 year total is probably going to be close to what Revis should be making (11M or so per year), but I just cant imagine that he would want those 3 years tacked on that he would have no control over. OF course next year there could be no football which is a big benefit to Revis to sign now.

Veteran
    F*ck Revis.