Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Preparing Biggest Contract ever for a DB (merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3626348]Two things:

1) How much guaranteed is obviously important.

2) If it's approaching 40 and he turns it down I'll officially be on the "Rip Revis" bandwagon. Until that happens and is confirmed it's all negoatiating and I'm not mad at either.[/QUOTE]

+1

Guaranteed money in the $35M range and a total contract in the ballpark of $100M is what should get this done. If Revis wouldn't sign that, wants more and is willing to risk injury over the next couple of years he's as dumb as a rock! Take that money go ball, man!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3626402]+1

Guaranteed money in the $35M range and a total contract in the ballpark of $100M is what should get this done. If Revis wouldn't sign that, wants more and is willing to risk injury over the next couple of years he's as dumb as a rock! Take that money go ball, man![/QUOTE]

God I wish I had a bottle of Jets uncorked to celebrate when he signs. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3626397]Usually with a contract of that length the team benefits much more than the player. The total figure is so high because of backloaded money that the player never sees. The guaranteed portion is going to be the same regardless of whether or not its a 6 year or a 9 year deal so the team has the same level of protection (or lack thereof) in the event of a catastrophic injury. If the players level begins to tail off in year 5 or 6 they can renegotiate the deal with little threat by the player due to the huge cap savings the team would get by cutting the player. Players usually hate having their rights controlled by the team that long. The 6 year total is probably going to be close to what Revis should be making (11M or so per year), but I just cant imagine that he would want those 3 years tacked on that he would have no control over. OF course next year there could be no football which is a big benefit to Revis to sign now.[/QUOTE]
    In any arrangement where money is paid up front against the possibility of injury, every year where an injury does not happen will tend to see the shift in who benefits from that arrangement favoring the party who wrote the policy (the Jets) as opposed to the one who took it out (Mr Revis).

Conversely a Leon event in the early years tends to hurt the team more if the bonus was bigger due to the overall size of the deal.

I also do not see Revis agreeing to a 9-year deal. The nation should be through the current economic downturn by that time and salary inflation could once again be on the rise. Maybe he flips the playing field and negotiates an optional buyout clause the way the Jets had an optional extension built into the first deal.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3626405]God I wish I had a bottle of Jets uncorked to celebrate when he signs. :D[/QUOTE]

Lol...I'm watching the Greece Nigeria WC match and I figured out that teh Vulvazulus sound like teh first note of "Welcome to the Jungle"!

Wait, whut

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3626358]Mangold and the team aren't close to reaching a new deal, however. And although the Jets appear willing to invest in the center long-term, they also are leaving open the possibility that they'll let him play this season with his current contract and use the franchise tag next year, thereby limiting his options in 2011. [/QUOTE]

... curious about the franchising mangold part ...

... didn't guards fall under the same category as tackles in the last agreement & that's how their salaries went through the roof? ...

... i'm assuming centers do not also fall under the same group as tackles and guards with the salary that would be paid for the 1 year franchise tag or else it wouldn't be worth it for the team to use on mangold ...

... can anyone confirm this for me? ... if mangold were franchised would he be paid at average of top 5 centers? or top 5 o-linemen?

thx,

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3626412]Lol...I'm watching the Greece Nigeria WC match and I figured out that teh Vulvazulus sound like teh first note of "Welcome to the Jungle"!

Wait, whut[/QUOTE]

Ha! The noise cancelling they put in definitely helped. Now the red card on Nigeria... clearly an idiotic decision, but did you see that guy flop against the wall .5 second later!? Would have been great to see a double yellow.
    Last edited by Carlton; 06-17-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, the Jets are pretty close to locking up Brick too. I hope Mangold doesn't start more of a problem now with this report they're looking to tag him in 2011.

As for Revis, this is a very, very fair and generous offer. Should he reject this, I'd say **** him and start working on Mangold and getting Brick done sooner.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;3626415]Interesting, the Jets are pretty close to locking up Brick too. I hope Mangold doesn't start more of a problem now with this report they're looking to tag him in 2011.

As for Revis, [B]this is a very, very fair and generous offer[/B]. Should he reject this, I'd say **** him and start working on Mangold and getting Brick done sooner.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that? You know nothing about the offer other than its for over $100 million and seems to be for 9 years (6 years on top of the 3 current ones).

This could be a great offer or a terrible offer - we have no idea.

Its a great strategic leak by the Jets though. Glauber must have owed them a favor ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    He's not going to sign for 6 years on top of the 3 already remaining. No player would prevent themselves from reaching free agency for that long. But at least Revis and his agent have a negotiating point to start with. Now they'll try to chip away at the years on the contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626470]He's not going to sign for 6 years on top of the 3 already remaining. No player would prevent themselves from reaching free agency for that long. But at least Revis and his agent have a negotiating point to start with. Now they'll try to chip away at the years on the contract.[/QUOTE]

Funny, we go from "he doesn't want to end up like Leon" argument for long term security to "why would he want long term security" so quickly.

If there's a 35-40 mil guarantee in this deal, he's be crazy to turn it down. And if I were the Jets and he did turn it down, I'd let him play out the 3 years and deal with him and whatever was available to me in 3 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    All depends how much of the $$$ is guaranteed. We all know the $100M won't be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3626479]All depends how much of the $$$ is guaranteed. We all know the $100M won't be.[/QUOTE]

We also know that if it's really a $100 mil deal that the guaranteed portion of the contract won't be insignificant. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626470]He's not going to sign for 6 years on top of the 3 already remaining. No player would prevent themselves from reaching free agency for that long. But at least Revis and his agent have a negotiating point to start with. Now they'll try to chip away at the years on the contract.[/QUOTE]

To be fair to both sides, this report is as meaningless as Revis coming out and b!tching about the Jets offer.

All it is is soundbytes. What's interesting is that Revis can come out and say whatever he wants - he's not really bound by any sense of decorum. The team, however, can't come out and directly blast Revis or pump itself up. It needs to do it with strategic leaks. In this instance, it leaked very big numbers that don't mean anything.

Would the Jets offer up Revis a contract worth $100 million? In theory, sure. But he would probably never see half of it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent news

it's going to really tough for the gloom and doomers and their media lapdogs when the Jets lock up all their core players before training camp begins

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3626482]We also know that if it's really a $100 mil deal that the guaranteed portion of the contract won't be insignificant. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Here's a good comparison...Obviously 1 is a SB winning QB while Revis is a CB...

Eli Manning's contract extension he signed last summer.

The 28-year-old quarterback and former Super Bowl MVP has agreed to terms on a new deal that will pay him $106.9 million over the next seven years, according to sources familiar with the negotiations. He'll get a six-year, $97.5 million extension on his current contract, which calls for him to earn $9.4 million this season.

It's not the largest deal in NFL history, but the average of $15.27 million between now and 2015 when the deal expires is an NFL record. The total package also will make Manning the eighth member of the $100 million-quarterback club.

The contract - which is expected to include $35 million in guaranteed money and pay him $41 million over the first two seasons - had not been finalized or signed as of yesterday, although Giants [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jerry+Reese"]GM Jerry Reese[/URL] said he was "hopeful" that the deal would be done soon.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2009/08/05/2009-08-05_giants_near_contract_to_make_eli_manning_richest_quarterback_in_nfl.html#ixzz0r8OAKnhN[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is my favorite Jet, maybe even of all time.

However, if he doesn't except this offer he can rot in hell and play out his rookie contract.

Just sayin'...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3626479]All depends how much of the $$$ is guaranteed. We all know the $100M won't be.[/QUOTE]

It also matters how much is paid this year--he will not and should not play for $1mm.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3626441]How do you know that? You know nothing about the offer other than its for over $100 million and seems to be for 9 years (6 years on top of the 3 current ones).

This could be a great offer or a terrible offer - we have no idea.

Its a great strategic leak by the Jets though. Glauber must have owed them a favor ;)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I guess you would look at a contract like this as a realistic 6 year deal. I ran some numbers on how they would likely get to the implied totals of around 108M a year, comply with the rules, and protect Revis as best as possible in the event of a lockout. There were three contract structures I came up with. The Jets friendly deal would be about 10.6M per year, the Revis friendly deal would be 12.3M per year and the in between about 11.1M. I would think the Revis friendly deal would be the only one he would consider.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]If the players level begins to tail off in year 5 or 6 they can renegotiate the deal with little threat by the player due to the huge cap savings the team would get by cutting the player.[/QUOTE]

I actually have no problem with a team renegotiating once a player's level of performance starts to tail off. It should be expected. If a player can cry about outperforming a contract which still effectively has three years left, then a team should be able to force a player's hand into restructuring contracts if the player can't maintain an expected level of play.

Revis' claim is that he's the best cornerback and deserves to be paid as such. Well, all's fine and dandy if he keeps making All-Pro teams and the Jets keep making deep playoff runs. But if he stops being an All-Pro and the Jets fail to make the playoffs for 3 or 4 years, how much sense does it make to pay one player all that money? Ask the Raiders.

I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for a player that thinks even $10 million per is not enough money. I remember when Revis' rookie contract was worked out. He wanted four years, the Jets wanted five. The settled on the buyback option for years 5 & 6 at $6-7 million per. I remember thinking at the time, "That's elite CB money. Looks like Revis is gonna be a free agent after 4 years." How did we go from $6-7 million being elite CB money to $13 million not being enough in three short years? Because of that BS Nnamdi contract!

Revis wanted to play with Nnamdi. Well, if he turns down $100 million he can go join the Raiders.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3626530]Agreed. I guess you would look at a contract like this as a realistic 6 year deal. I ran some numbers on how they would likely get to the implied totals of around 108M a year, comply with the rules, and protect Revis as best as possible in the event of a lockout. There were three contract structures I came up with. The Jets friendly deal would be about 10.6M per year, the Revis friendly deal would be 12.3M per year and the in between about 11.1M. I would think the Revis friendly deal would be the only one he would consider.[/QUOTE]

Yep - especially if you consider that 6/87 as the extension is essentially a 15M per year extension.