Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Preparing Biggest Contract ever for a DB (merged)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3626536]Till now I've been firmly entrenched in Darrelle's corner, but if he rejects a 100 million dollar contract and dares to suggest the organization is not showing loyalty or he has to take care of his family, he wash my hands of the whole thing and he becomes Fredo too me.

I mean seriously, 100 million dollars, that's not enough?

Yeah I know its 100 million for the life of the contract and he can be released prior to that or what have you, but this is a GREAT Player who is not going anywhere other than Canton!

Of course you want some big guarantees in case of injuries and I have no problem with that, if they want to negotiate the guaranteed money fine, but don't tell me 6 Years/100 Million is not enough just because it doesn't exceed the yearly number of Aso.

I don't want to hear that and there's no way in hell I'm co-signing that level of greed.

Get the Guarantees in order and take the deal, Darrelle ... you're not living forever, none of us do, and you won't be broke when you leave, not you, your children or your grandchildren, so get your mind right and take the deal.

That's a lot of money, muh-man ... SUPER-STAR MONEY ... so don't let your ego get in the way.[/QUOTE]

After the Agent gets his cut, the govt gets its cut, this would [B]still [/B]leave enough Guaranteed money to take care of him, his family, and his friends for life.

And thats just the guaranteed part of it. Realistically he will never have to worry about money for his family for a few generations, if he doesnt blow it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3626475][B]Funny, we go from "he doesn't want to end up like Leon" argument for long term security to "why would he want long term security" so quickly.[/B]
    If there's a 35-40 mil guarantee in this deal, he's be crazy to turn it down. And if I were the Jets and he did turn it down, I'd let him play out the 3 years and deal with him and whatever was available to me in 3 years.[/QUOTE]

Ideally, he'd want "short-term" security in the form of $30 million for one year's worth of work. If NFL players want guaranteed contracts, they should gone out for baseball when they were kids.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3626568]This is not baseball, J, this is a collision sport where looking towards the next contract and the one after that, when you have a 100 Million dollar offer staring you in the face, is flatout foolish provided the "guaranteed money" is right.

In my view if you're Darrelle Revis,[B] the only thing left to negotiate are the guarantees [/B]... unless you're a fool or unless your agent is encouraging you to holdout on [B]his behalf[/B], so [B]he[/B] can grab a few extra benjamins on [B]his[/B] commision.[/QUOTE]

the only thing left to negotiate is....the most important part of the contract. The $100 million part is irrelevant. More than likely he won't end up seeing that. Its a fictitious number thrown out there to get public sentiment on the Jets side.

Revis is currently scheduled to make $21 million in the next 3 years. The two biggest questions are: 1) how much of the contract is ultimately guaranteed and 2) how much, on top of that $21 million, will he make in the next 3 years.

The $100 million is nice for public perception, but its not going to decide whether or not Revis accepts the deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3626370]I know it's a business, but my sense of propriety about what is right and what is wrong gets completely dinged by this....Nick has been nothing but a good soldier while revis whines like a beeatch....

Please tell me it wont come to this.

:mad:[/QUOTE]Uh. Mangold has done plenty of whining to the media. D'Brick and Harris are the only two that haven't said a word.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Green & White;3626353]I hope this gets the job done... if he still balks at that, then I'm done with the guy... he can play out his 3 years and move on[/QUOTE]

i agree... i cant even begin to understand how he wouldnt want that.. i guess the guaranteed money up-front has something to do with it....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3626568]This is not baseball, J, this is a collision sport where looking towards the next contract and the one after that, when you have a 100 Million dollar offer staring you in the face, is flatout foolish provided the "guaranteed money" is right.

In my view if you're Darrelle Revis, the only thing left to negotiate are the guarantees ... unless you're a fool or unless your agent is encouraging you to holdout on [B]his behalf[/B], so [B]he[/B] can grab a few extra benjamins on [B]his[/B] commision.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, but usually the guarantees are going to be the same on a 6 year deal as a 9 year deal. Lets assume 30 million dollars which is protected regardless of health. Lets assume Revis stays healthy. Im sure he would much rather have 30 million on a 6 year deal than 30 million on a contract where the team controls his rights for an extra 3 seasons. If the difference is that the Jets will guarantee 30 on a 6 and something like 40 on a 9 then Id agree that he should take the deal. But if its 30 and 30 or 40 and 40, he'll turn it down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;3626589]Uh. Mangold has done plenty of whining to the media. D'Brick and Harris are the only two that haven't said a word.[/QUOTE]

Revis has made more in one year that Mangold has in his career.. Plus he's in his last year where Revis the Rich has 3 years left..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;3626589]Uh. Mangold has done plenty of whining to the media. D'Brick and Harris are the only two that haven't said a word.[/QUOTE]

Mangold and Revis are our unquestionably our best players though, both have shown HOF potential. And I highly doubt that the team management is sitting around saying "Yeah, F these guys, can't believe what they said in the paper this time!". It's just the fans who are emotional (emofans? :D). The Jets know it's a business.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626608]Mangold and Revis are our unquestionably our best players though, both have shown HOF potential. And I highly doubt that the team management is sitting around saying "Yeah, F these guys, can't believe what they said in the paper this time[B]!". It's just the fans who are emotional (emofans? :D). [/B]The Jets know it's a business.[/QUOTE]

Was that a shot at Ham and Bit???:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3626397]Usually with a contract of that length the team benefits much more than the player. The total figure is so high because of backloaded money that the player never sees. The guaranteed portion is going to be the same regardless of whether or not its a 6 year or a 9 year deal so the team has the same level of protection (or lack thereof) in the event of a catastrophic injury. If the players level begins to tail off in year 5 or 6 they can renegotiate the deal with little threat by the player due to the huge cap savings the team would get by cutting the player. Players usually hate having their rights controlled by the team that long. The 6 year total is probably going to be close to what Revis should be making (11M or so per year), but I just cant imagine that he would want those 3 years tacked on that he would have no control over. OF course next year there could be no football which is a big benefit to Revis to sign now.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your Insight, people look at the numbers and get confused. Is da dough guaranteed never enters their mind or the fact that a player can be cut because of injury as you POINT OUT!!!! But enough of this reason and logic... I say

[B][SIZE="4"]CUT DA BUM!!!!!!:D[/SIZE][/B]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626608]Mangold and Revis are our unquestionably our best players though, both have shown HOF potential. And I highly doubt that the team management is sitting around saying "Yeah, F these guys, can't believe what they said in the paper this time!". It's just the fans who are emotional (emofans? :D). The Jets know it's a business.[/QUOTE]I have no problem at all with them wanting to get their extensions and doing what they need to do to facilitate that.

I'm just responding to the guy characterizing Mangold as this loyal soldier and Revis as a greedy loudmouth. Aside from the dizziness incident, they're really not that far apart in what they've said to the media.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3626609]Was that a shot at Ham and Bit???:eek:[/QUOTE]

:D Nope, the opposite actually. I think they're both in the "PAY THIS BEAST WHAT HE'S WORTH" camp.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626615]:D Nope, the opposite actually. I think they're both in the "PAY THIS BEAST WHAT HE'S WORTH" camp.[/QUOTE]

True they are both high priests in the Cult of lightheadedness..:P

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3626408]In any arrangement where money is paid up front against the possibility of injury, every year where an injury does not happen will tend to see the shift in who benefits from that arrangement favoring the party who wrote the policy (the Jets) as opposed to the one who took it out (Mr Revis).

Conversely a Leon event in the early years tends to hurt the team more if the bonus was bigger due to the overall size of the deal.

[B]I also do not see Revis agreeing to a 9-year deal. The nation should be through the current economic downturn by that time and salary inflation could once again be on the rise. Maybe he flips the playing field and negotiates an optional buyout clause the way the Jets had an optional extension built into the first deal[/B].[/QUOTE]

This last part that you state is a thinking perosn's argument. It is one that his lawyers/reps should in fact suggest.

Although not leagally correct I think of these contracts from the teams perpective as a kind of installment contract, since they routinely cut players scheduled to make X number of dollars before the player can actually perform and thereby hold the club liable for the salary.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason that this is crazy (ie length of contract) is Revis fault. You say that Revis will not want a team to control his rights for 9 years. I know wouldn't. The answer is simple. Revis is coming to the table 3 years early. This would not seem so crazy if the guy was not trying to get paid when the team has his rights for another 3 years! Harris, Mangold and Brick should get paid before Revis. I hope that the Jets sign Mangold and Brick and keep that franchise tag available for Revis. If he wants to play and get paid mega bucks he will have to play for The Jets at an All Pro level (to get All Pro FA money) for 4 - 5 years. Otherwise, he can empty his locker and forget about the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL Network - Jets to offer Revis $100M deal

Jets to offer Revis $100M, $40M guaranteed upfront and an average of over $15M per year to make him the ighest paid corner

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well at least this should come to an end soon.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    15 mil per year wouldnt make him the highest paid per year. But this better get it done. If not FU REVIS!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's the best cover corner since #21 of the Falcons during the 90's.

He can wrap up and tackle like a MLB.

When it's all said and done; Jet fans could be watching the best all around CB ever.

Get it done.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get this done!