Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Brick Close to Resigning?

Hall Of Fame

D'Brick Close to Resigning?

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/17/dbrickashaw-ferguson-could-be-first-core-four-jet-to-get-new-deal/[/url]

Florio no longer reads my posts -- that's how I'm still employed -- but I still like to read PFT, my daily routine for years before joining the team.

While checking out our latest story on Darrelle Revis, I clicked Bob Glauber's Newsday article, and saw a rather interesting item buried beneath all the $100 million man talk.

"The team is further along in negotiations with [D'Brickashaw] Ferguson on a long-term deal than is widely known," Glauber writes. "An agreement could be reached before the start of training camp, barring unexpected complications, according to people familiar with Ferguson's situation."

Well, that certainly wasn't widely known before. Nick Mangold has honked about his contract more than Ferguson this offseason, but it makes sense the Pro Bowl left tackle comes before the Pro Bowl center.

You could even argue that the left tackle drafted in 2006 deserves his deal before the cornerback drafted in 2007.

calm down and we'll get 'em signed up 1 by 1...funny this gasbag calls forr tanny's head..please...the spoils of our riches are a direct result of our drafting, pretty sure the gm has some say as to whom is drafted.

The two players that the team absolutely couldn't lose out of the Core 4 were Revis and Brick. The team correctly identified that.

Mangold and Harris are both extremely important as well, but Revis and Brick are the guys you can't live without.

Anyway, it looks like all 4 guys are going to be back anyway.

All Pro
    This is good news, and D'Brick definitely needs to be locked up long term.

However, I question the Jets' line of thinking here. Why are the Jets trying to lock up players with 2 and 3 years left on their contracts (Revis and Ferguson) prior to locking up players with 1 year left on their contracts (Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie)?

All League
    I don't want Brick to resign. :mad:

Re-signing is a different story. ;)

In all seriousness, I hope he gets locked up. He is our most important lineman.

All League
    [QUOTE=parafly;3626437]This is good news, and D'Brick definitely needs to be locked up long term.

However, I question the Jets' line of thinking here. Why are the Jets trying to lock up players with 2 and 3 years left on their contracts (Revis and Ferguson) prior to locking up players with 1 year left on their contracts (Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie)?[/QUOTE]

Because Revis and Ferguson are the most important players that you named.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3626443]Because Revis and Ferguson are the most important players that you named.[/QUOTE]

True, but they are under contract for several years.

We are in big trouble if we let Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes, and Cromartie all reach free agency and have to pay a higher premium to keep some of them. Extension or no extension, D'Brick and Revis are here for at least two more seasons.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=parafly;3626448]True, but they are under contract for several years.

We are in big trouble if we let Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes, and Cromartie all reach free agency and have to pay a higher premium to keep some of them. Extension or no extension, D'Brick and Revis are here for at least two more seasons.[/QUOTE]

with news of this I feel Mangold, Revis, & Ferguson will get re-signed ;) before the start of this season. Harris will resign in 2011 offseason leaving the franchise tag for cromartie, edwards, & holmes. I feel Edwards will resign so it's Holmes & Cromartie, my money is on Cromartie.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Mangold's much more important to the team, but it's a business decision (inb4 HE'S JUST A CENTER!!1! :dunce: ). Looks like they'll extend D'Brick now if they can, and either franchise Mangold in 2011 or extend him once the new CBA is agreed to. No complaints really, except that Mangold's going to be pissed off for the next year or two.

Interesting.

I think we could very well see a situation where D'Brick and Harris are given long term deals, Revis' final 2 years are bought back (or he signs this $100 million over 8 or 9 years contract people are talking about) and Mangold is franchised....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3626435]The two players that the team absolutely couldn't lose out of the Core 4 were Revis and Brick. The team correctly identified that.

Mangold and Harris are both extremely important as well, but Revis and Brick are the guys you can't live without.

Anyway, it looks like all 4 guys are going to be back anyway.[/QUOTE]

BINGO! That's been my belief all along too. I love Mangold and Harris is great, but Revis and Brick are the priorities in all of this.

It's smarter to lock up a Top 5 or Top 10 LT than the #1 or #2 Center in the NFL. You can live with a very good Center and don't [U]need[/U] an elite one. But you don't want an average or slightly better LT blocking the blindside of your franchise QB!

My priority list would be:

1. Revis
    2. Brick
    3. Mangold
    4. Harris

...and I'm a BIG David Harris fan!

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3626435]The two players that the team absolutely couldn't lose out of the Core 4 were Revis and Brick. The team correctly identified that.

Agree on all points.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626457]Mangold's much more important to the team, but it's a business decision (inb4 HE'S JUST A CENTER!!1! :dunce: ). Looks like they'll extend D'Brick now if they can, and either franchise Mangold in 2011 or extend him once the new CBA is agreed to. No complaints really, except that Mangold's going to be pissed off for the next year or two.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez having a clean jersey > Best center in the league

;)

JMO [and apparently the organization's opinion as well]

All League

Yes

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3626463]BINGO! That's been my belief all along too. I love Mangold and Harris is great, but Revis and Brick are the priorities in all of this.

It's smarter to lock up a Top 5 or Top 10 LT than the #1 or #2 Center in the NFL. You can live with a very good Center and don't [U]need[/U] an elite one. But you don't want an average or slightly better LT blocking the blindside of your franchise QB!

1. Revis
    2. Brick
    3. Mangold
    4. Harris

...and I'm a BIG David Harris fan![/QUOTE]
    Yes, and I LOVE Harris as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's great news.

I fully admit that Mangold is the best center in the league, but between him and Brick, he's the most expendable.

LT is simply a more important, premium position than center and Brick happens to be one of the Top 5 LT's in the league. Hell, he may be the best passblocking LT in football.

It looks like we finally have our franchise QB in Sanchez. Keeping him standing should be of the utmost importance.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3626463]BINGO! That's been my belief all along too. I love Mangold and Harris is great, but Revis and Brick are the priorities in all of this.

1. Revis
    2. Brick
    3. Mangold
    4. Harris

...and I'm a BIG David Harris fan![/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%

I firmly believe we'll keep all four. The real question is whether Cromartie, Edwards, and Holmes will be affordable.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;3626437]This is good news, and D'Brick definitely needs to be locked up long term.

However, I question the Jets' line of thinking here. Why are the Jets trying to lock up players with 2 and 3 years left on their contracts (Revis and Ferguson) prior to locking up players with 1 year left on their contracts (Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie)?[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just me, but I see Holmes and Cromartie as 1 year rentals.

Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Edwards should all be taken care of before we even think of giving a new contract to Holmes or Cro.

It's smarter to lock up a Top 5 or Top 10 LT than the #1 or #2 Center in the NFL. You can live with a very good Center and don't [U]need[/U] an elite one. But you don't want an average or slightly better LT blocking the blindside of your franchise QB![/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This issue has been debated all spring. Not a knock on Mangold to say that Brick has to be the priority over him. The position he plays is so much more important than the one Mangold plays that it's not even funny. Where are LTs drafted? Where are Centers drafted? How often do you see a Center get drafted with the first pick in the draft? Protecting the blind side of a QB (after the QB position) is the biggest priority for an NFL team. The draft proves that EVERY year.
    Last edited by kcb160; 06-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jonathan;3626648]I firmly believe we'll keep all four. The real question is whether Cromartie, Edwards, and Holmes will be affordable.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if both Edwards and Cro were gone after next year. They're expendable because we also have Kyle Wilson and Santanio Holmes. Would be nice to have the depth but that's the price you gotta pay to keep the core 4.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3626655]Maybe it's just me, but I see Holmes and Cromartie as 1 year rentals.

Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Edwards should all be taken care of before we even think of giving a new contract to Holmes or Cro.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Though I would be tempted to sign Holmes before Edwards. I say tempted because I am not sure if Holmes will stay out of the Commish's dog house.