Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D'Brick Close to Resigning?

Rookie
    Regarding Santonio and Braylon, this is a 1 year audition for the both of them. Whoever plays better and fits the system more, we re-sign. The other gets to walk. Our list of other priorities makes it impossible/unnecessary to bring back both of them after this season.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kcb160;3626665]Yep.

Though I would be tempted to sign Holmes before Edwards. I say tempted because I am not sure if Holmes will stay out of the Commish's dog house.[/QUOTE]

That's the big thing.

Santonio is a major risk. We're talking about a guy who is one f*ck up away from being kicked out of the league for a full season.

Jets Insider VIP
    I believe the Priority list should be this:

1: Revis- sign
    2: Brick- sign
    3: Harris- sign
    4: Mangold- tag

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3626659]I wouldn't be surprised if both Edwards and Cro were gone after next year. They're expendable because we also have Kyle Wilson and Santanio Holmes. Would be nice to have the depth but that's the price you gotta pay to keep the core 4.[/QUOTE]
    Trading a conditional 3rd/2nd for a one year rental doesn't sit well with me. I'm almost certain he'll be here at least two seasons.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3626659]I wouldn't be surprised if both Edwards and Cro were gone after next year. They're expendable because we also have Kyle Wilson and Santanio Holmes. Would be nice to have the depth but that's the price you gotta pay to keep the core 4.[/QUOTE]

The Revis contract situation makes the Cro situation interesting. The moment Revis signs (assuming he does) Cro's "a dead man walking." In a strange sort of way, Cromartie may help Revis make some dough. Can the Jets cut ties with Cro before they know for sure what Revis is going to do? Nice to say that Revis must be re-signed, but that is fan talk. If Revis does not put his name on that contract all bets regarding Cro are off. The Jets need to sign Revis so they can move on without Cro.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;3626437]This is good news, and D'Brick definitely needs to be locked up long term.

However, I question the Jets' line of thinking here. Why are the Jets trying to lock up players with 2 and 3 years left on their contracts (Revis and Ferguson) prior to locking up players with 1 year left on their contracts (Mangold, Harris, [B]Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie[/B])?[/QUOTE]

I disagree with UT that Edwards, Holmes, and Cro are 1 year rentals, but I don't think there's anyway the Jets would approach those 3 about an extension over the "Core 4."

Edwards was here a year, but he was only decent last year with flashes of brilliance. Holmes and Cro haven't played a meaningful down yet with the Jets. Tanny has a finite pool of money and is not going to use it up on such question mark players where he has more stable players to re-sign.

Banned
    As we all know, the LT position is one of the most important positions in all of Football. It's right up there with both QB and 3-4 NT positions.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson has started since day one of 2006 as a rookie. He's made progress each and every year. If thats not the definition of a Franchise Left Tackle, I'm not sure what is.

He's a top 5 Pass Protecting LT, and he's also becoming one of the better run blocking LT's around; Ferguson has quickly become one of, if not the best overall LT in the game today.

The best part about the play of Ferguson? He's only 26 years of age.

If the Jets can lock up both Ferguson and Mangold long term, the Jets will have one of the best Offensive Lines for years to come.

There is nothing like a...

[B][CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="7"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Brick[/COLOR] [COLOR="Black"]Of [/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]Gold[/COLOR].[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/B]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SMC;3626729]I disagree with UT that Edwards, Holmes, and Cro are 1 year rentals, but I don't think there's anyway the Jets would approach those 3 about an extension over the "Core 4."

Edwards was here a year, but he was only decent last year with flashes of brilliance. Holmes and Cro haven't played a meaningful down yet with the Jets. Tanny has a finite pool of money and is not going to use it up on such question mark players where he has more stable players to re-sign.[/QUOTE]

Edwards will get a deal IMO.

But at this point, I definitely see Holmes and Cromartie as one year rentals.

Holmes costed us basically nothing. It was a move for this year IMO. A guy who will already miss four games this season and is one silly ass mistake away from sitting at home for a year.

I can see Cromartie getting a longterm deal only if they decide that he's more important than a guy like David Harris. Although, I really don't think we drafted Kyle Wilson to be a career nickelback.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kcb160;3626657]Agreed.

This issue has been debated all spring. Not a knock on Mangold to say that Brick has to be the priority over him. The position he plays is so much more important than the one Mangold plays that it's not even funny. Where are LTs drafted? Where are Centers drafted? How often do you see a Center get drafted with the first pick in the draft? Protecting the blind side of a QB is the biggest priority for an NFL team. The draft proves that EVERY year.[/QUOTE]

Yup, the reality is that you have a better chance of finding an excellent starting Center at the end of Round 1 or in Rounds 2 and 3 than you do of getting a franchise LT.

And you're right, it's not a knock on Mangold because, in fact, Mangold is a better Center than D'Brick is a Left Tackle. But that doesn't mean Mangold is more important to the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

If Cromartie is even decent (a step above Lito was in 2009), he'll definitely get an offer to stay. Seems like I type this a lot but Rex loves corners, lots of them. That's the cornerstone to his defense. He wants to put his CB's in man coverage so he can run those bliztes. And a nickelback is basically a starter, so they're not going to jettison Cromartie and go Revis/Wilson/JAG in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626764]If Cromartie is even decent (a step above Lito was in 2009), he'll definitely get an offer to stay. Seems like I type this a lot but Rex loves corners, lots of them. That's the cornerstone to his defense. He wants to put his CB's in man coverage so he can run those bliztes. And a nickelback is basically a starter, so they're not going to jettison Cromartie and go Revis/Wilson/JAG in the future.[/QUOTE]

+1

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;3626437]This is good news, and D'Brick definitely needs to be locked up long term.

However, I question the Jets' line of thinking here. Why are the Jets trying to lock up players with 2 and 3 years left on their contracts (Revis and Ferguson) prior to locking up players with 1 year left on their contracts (Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie)?[/QUOTE]

One reason would be to insure that Mark Sanchez is protected and stays healthy for a long time.
    Last edited by Jordy; 06-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.

All League
    if brick gets locked up then great. i think all four of the core four will get re-signed. i think edwards or holmes will get re-signed with edwards having a huge advantage. i think cromartie might get tendered depending on how the cba works out and holmes is franchised and traded or something along those lines. although expensive, keep in mind there are several players in line to retire/get cut/ leave after 2010 that will open cash up for the guys the team needs to re-sign.

Banned
    The Jets Front office must lock up the core 4 in Revis, Ferguson, Mangold and Harris.

There is no other way around it in my eyes. We're dealing with one of the greatest CB's to ever play the game in Revis, a Franchise LT in Ferguson, an All Pro Center in Mangold, and one of, if not the best 3-4 MLB's in the game today in David Harris.

As far as players such as Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie; it's up to Woody and the Jets Front Office to work magic and get those guys locked up long term as well. Because of Tanny, I'm confident that will happen.

Heading into last offseason... Other than Jerricho Cotchery, we had nothing at the WR position. As of right now, we're stacked with three #1 WR's in Cotch, Edwards and Holmes. With a Franchise QB in the making, it's important that the Jets Front Office gets both Edwards and Holmes locked up.

Out of Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie... Cromartie would have to be the odd man out in my eyes, and thats only because of Kyle Wilson. But then again, we could be looking at the best CB Trio around in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. That may be a Trio that Rex Ryan would hate to do without.

I'm relaxed as of right now, and thats because we have Tanny running the show. If anything, all of this contract talk leads up to one thing; The time is now. The time to win our First Championship since 1969 is now.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 06-17-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3626779]The Jets Front office must lock up the core 4 in Revis, Ferguson, Mangold and Harris.

There is no other way around it in my eyes. We're dealing with one of the greatest CB's to ever play the game in Revis, a Franchise LT in Ferguson, an All Pro Center in Mangold, and one of, if not the best 3-4 MLB's in the game today in David Harris.

As far as players such as Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie; it's up to Woody and the Jets Front Office to work magic and get those guys locked up long term as well. Because of Tanny, I'm confident that will happen.

Heading into last offseason... Other than Jerricho Cotchery, we had nothing at the WR position. As of right now, we're stacked with three #1 WR's in Cotch, Edwards and Holmes. With a Franchise QB in the making, it's important that the Jets Front Office gets both Edwards and Holmes locked up.

Out of Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie... Cromartie would have to be the off man out in my eyes, and thats only because of Kyle Wilson. But then again, we could be looking at the best CB Trio around in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. That may be a Trio that Rex Ryan would hate to do without.

I'm relaxed as of right now, and thats because we have Tanny running the show.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you have your head in the clouds if you honestly think that Revis, Brick, Mangold, Harris, Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie are ALL getting long term deals.

I'd say we lose two of them to FA.

And as of now, Cromartie and Holmes are the most expendable.

All League
    [QUOTE]NYPost_Hubbuch: D'Brickashaw Ferguson's agent says report that Ferguson is close to a deal with the #Jets is "completely untrue."[/QUOTE]FWIW

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We could lose Braylon and Holmes very easliy next year. Neither of them will be franchised. So if they'r not resigned now and hit FA next year they will both go to the highest bidder. And the Jets will have either just shelled out boat loads of cash to the core 4 or will still owe some of the core 4 big money.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 06-17-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What Jet players are UFA's after this year?

All League
    [QUOTE]NYPost_Hubbuch: Ferguson is seeking a long-term extension with money roughly equal to that of fellow LTs Jake Long and Joe Thomas. [/QUOTE]Obviously the 2 highest paid LTs in the league.

All League
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3626799]What Jet players are UFA's after this year?[/QUOTE]

Shaun Ellis
    Nick Mangold
    Steve Weatherford
    Brodney Pool
    Tony Richardson
    Braylon Edwards
    Wayne Hunter

from nyjetscap.com