Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braylon likes expanded role- Cimini

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Braylon likes expanded role- Cimini

Braylon likes expanded role in offense
    June, 17, 2010 Jun 1710:08AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiIt was easy to find Braylon Edwards last season. He was the split end (X receiver), usually on the left side of the formation. This season, you may have to look around a bit to find No. 17.

In his first offseason with the Jets, Edwards is learning to play the other receiving positions in the offense -- flanker (Z) and even a little slot (F). What do these positions and letters mean, and how do they affect Edwards?

The split end is regarded as a stationary position, meaning no pre-snap motion. Against a defense that likes to play man-to-man coverage, that means a lot of bump-and-run at the line of scrimmage. Edwards (6-3, 215) should win those battles, considering he's bigger than every cornerback he faces, but it can be taxing and tiresome, fighting to get off the line.

By playing flanker, even some slot, Edwards can go in motion, moving around the formation. In essence, he'll be a moving target, and he likes that.

"It's actually fun," he said. "It gives me a chance to get free releases. It gives me a chance to see how the defense reacts in certain situations."

Santonio Holmes, too, is learning other spots after working exclusively as an X with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Holmes lobbied the Pittsburgh coaches for years to move him around, and he became frustrated by what he perceived as stubbornness. The Jets' coaches, he said, are more open-minded. (Holmes produced 1,248 receiving yards as an X, so those Steeler coaches evidently knew something.)

The point is, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is trying to create as much flexibility as possible. In theory, that should enable Holmes, Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery to get more playing time. Some people wonder if it'll work, if the trio of receivers will get enough P.T. and enough balls to stay happy.

Edwards was known as a diva in Cleveland, but from all indications, he's been a team guy this offseason.

"I don't mind working hard when I'm in a comfortable environment," he said. "This is football; this doesn't feel like a job. It had gotten to a point in my career where it felt like a job, just punching a clock to get in and get back home."

In Cleveland, where he chafed under Eric Mangini, Edwards said he skipped voluntary workouts, showing up only for OTAs and minicamps. I did some checking. As of Tuesday, Edwards had participated in only 29 workouts, meaning he's 11 shy of the required 40.

Okay, so he hasn't been a total gym rat. But it's progress.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no question, Braylon is one of the most gifted receivers in all of football.

He has the talent and potential to be one of the Top 5 WR's in the league if he can just put the drops behind him and further develop his chemistry with Sanchez.

Just three years ago, this guy put up 1300 yards and 16 TD's with Derek Anderson chucking him the ball. If his head is in the game, then there's no telling how good he can be.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Braylon is going to have an excellent season for us this fall and then earn a big contract with another team b/c in 2011 we'll still have Cotchery, Holmes and Keller.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3626654]Braylon is going to have an excellent season for us this fall and then earn a big contract with another team b/c in 2011 we'll still have Cotchery, Holmes and Keller.[/QUOTE]

I don't see any way that we keep Holmes over Braylon unless Holmes has an absolute monstrous season.

The guy is already set to miss 4 games this year and is one strike away from being suspended for a full season.

Holmes and Cromartie are 1 year rentals IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    People think I'm nuts, but if the choice is to re-sign Edwards or Holmes it has to be Edwards because of his excellent size/speed ratio and freakish ability.

You're not going to find guys like Edwards easily.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3626662]I don't see any way that we keep Holmes over Braylon unless Holmes has an absolute monstrous season.

The guy is already set to miss 4 games this year and is one strike away from being suspended for a full season.

Holmes and Cromartie are 1 year rentals IMO.[/QUOTE]

Which is why Holmes would be way cheaper than resigning Braylon Edwards especially after Edwards has a 1,000 yard 10 td season which he will have this Fall. Resigning Holmes would cost us a fraction of what it would cost to resign Edwards and would allow us to keep Revis, Ferguson, Mangold and Harris.

The "one strike" thing is overrated. Jared Allen was supposedly one strike away from a year long suspension a couple years ago when the Vikings give him his monster contract and now he's in the clear. Braylon Edwards is one ACL tear from ending his career. Every player is a risk only Holmes is going to be the cheaper risk.

And I like Braylon Edwards and have been a supporter of his.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3626664]People think I'm nuts, but if the choice is to re-sign Edwards or Holmes it has to be Edwards because of his excellent size/speed ratio and freakish ability.

You're not going to find guys like Edwards easily.[/QUOTE]

That's true and that's why I've been a big supporter of the Jets trading for him and him playing for us. That said Edwards is going to have a big season next year and will be looking for an enormous pay day after the season is over. There's no way we will be able to lock him into the deal he'll be looking for and also locking up the core 4.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3626664]People think I'm nuts, but if the choice is to re-sign Edwards or Holmes it has to be Edwards because of his excellent size/speed ratio and freakish ability.

You're not going to find guys like Edwards easily.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you're nuts, not even close.

I agree 100%

If anybody was at practice yesterday and watched the offense and focused on the WR's, there is no question who had the biggest presence on that field, who made plays, and looked dominant in what he did, it was Edwards hands down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3626675]Which is why Holmes would be way cheaper than resigning Braylon Edwards especially after Edwards has a 1,000 yard 10 td season which he will have this Fall. Resigning Holmes would cost us a fraction of what it would cost to resign Edwards and would allow us to keep Revis, Ferguson, Mangold and Harris.

The "one strike" thing is overrated. Jared Allen was supposedly one strike away from a year long suspension a couple years ago when the Vikings give him his monster contract and now he's in the clear. Braylon Edwards is one ACL tear from ending his career. Every player is a risk only Holmes is going to be the cheaper risk.

And I like Braylon Edwards and have been a supporter of his.[/QUOTE]

Why would Holmes be way cheaper than Edwards. Their careers are almost identical to this point. Edwards has more natural talent, but an issue holding onto the ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery make for a top 5 WR Trio as of right now. Three #1 WR's.

Not many QB's are in the type of position that Mark Sanchez is in. Then you add players such as Dustin Keller, L.T and Joe McKnight (All players that can catch the Football), and Mark Sanchez could have more Offensive Weapons than any other QB in the league; Including Drew Brees of the Saints.

It's also no secret that the Jets have one of, if not the best Offensive rushing attack in the game today.

Not only do the Jets have the best overall Defense around, but it's looking like the Jets are also building a top 5 Offense in the making.

Bring on the 2010 season; This could become something special.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3626700]I don't think you're nuts, not even close.

I agree 100%

If anybody was at practice yesterday and watched the offense and focused on the WR's, there is no question who had the biggest presence on that field, who made plays, and looked dominant in what he did, it was Edwards hands down.[/QUOTE]

True. The reason I said the nuts remark because I believe there is a lot of unwarranted animosity toward Edwards by Jet fans who blow out of proportion the drops issue. He's not Justin McCraphands.

Edwards has a focus issue. When he's focused he'll make WTF? catches all the time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the reasons I'm most excited about this team is the flexibility that they are developing. The WRs being able to be interchanged, the MIKE/TED backers able to be switched, the CBs who can play man to man, giving the team more options, the ability to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and certainly not least - the ability to be a ground and pound team as well as the ability to go 5 wide and throw the ball all over the place.

The Jets have transformed from a team with no real weapons and no real dangerous playmakers for Coordinators to worry about to a team with multiple weapons and looks to the point that there's no way to account for everything they can throw at you.

That's not a guarantee of anything, but its better than being totally vanilla.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3626738]True. The reason I said the nuts remark because I believe there is a lot of unwarranted animosity toward Edwards by Jet fans who blow out of proportion the drops issue. He's not Justin McCraphands.

Edwards has a focus issue. When he's focused he'll make WTF? catches all the time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

And let's not forget how valuable Braylon is in the running game. The guy is one of the better blocking receivers out there. He has no problem with getting his hands dirty.

When you take into account that Braylon is more naturally gifted, a better blocker, and isn't one strike away from being out on his ass...it makes much more sense to keep him around if we're forced to choose between him and Holmes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3626662]I don't see any way that we keep Holmes over Braylon unless Holmes has an absolute monstrous season.

Holmes and Cromartie are 1 year rentals IMO.[/QUOTE]

if cromartie performs, no way the jets let him go..DR and AC for a good 5 years..we can win ALOT of ballgames.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3626738]True. The reason I said the nuts remark because I believe there is a lot of unwarranted animosity toward Edwards by [B]Jet fans who blow out of proportion [/B]the drops issue. He's not Justin McCraphands.

Edwards has a focus issue. When he's focused he'll make WTF? catches all the time.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: shocking

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    wow.. it's almost as if Cimini was trolling this board, read all the posts about the lack of any substance in his articles, and was "inspired" to write something reaching beyond his usual drivel :cool:

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3626816]wow.. it's almost as if Cimini was trolling this board, read all the posts about the lack of any substance in his articles, and was "inspired" to write something reaching beyond his usual drivel :cool:[/QUOTE]
    Let me be the first of 10,000 JI members to say "I AGREE WITH YOU".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3626650]There's no question, Braylon is one of the most gifted receivers in all of football.

He has the talent and potential to be one of the Top 5 WR's in the league if he can just put the drops behind him and further develop his chemistry with Sanchez.

Just three years ago, this guy put up 1300 yards and 16 TD's with Derek Anderson chucking him the ball. If his head is in the game, then there's no telling how good he can be.[/QUOTE]

+1
    I'm expecting big things from him this year. I don't think he has ever put this kind of effort and commitment into his off season training and we should definitely see the results of it on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3626878]+1
    I'm expecting big things from him this year. I don't think he has ever put this kind of effort and commitment into his off season training and we should definitely see the results of it on the field.[/QUOTE]

+ 2

But not just that, him and Sanchez having the entire offseason together will be huge. They had those moments where they looked like a deadly combo (Miami x 2, Atlanta, Indy) and others when they weren't on the same page and Sanchez was forcing balls to him. Should be a lot of fun to watch those two connect for big plays here in '10.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3626887]+ 2

But not just that, him and Sanchez having the entire offseason together will be huge. They had those moments where they looked like a deadly combo (Miami x 2, Atlanta, Indy) and others when they weren't on the same page and Sanchez was forcing balls to him. Should be a lot of fun to watch those two connect for big plays here in '10.[/QUOTE]

Losing Leon in the 7th game affected Sanchez also.. He no longer had a good safety valve receiver out of the back field forcing him to make throws he shouldn't have..:yes: