Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Havent seen this posted....Revis "buyback"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3627936]A few things. One when the deal was signed 2012 was supposed to be an uncapped season, so usually to accept a deal the NFL has to take this stuff into account. Granted his 2011 salary (which is what the 30% rule would have been based on) was different than the 2009 one, but 5 million ---> 11 million is certainly more than 30%. Secondly most NLTBE contractual payments are never included in 30% or 25% calculations. Revis' ability to void the deal and thus the Jets ability to buyback the deals are all based on NLTBE incentives. The 30% rules in the CBA specifically talk about buyouts based on such incentives not counting towards the 30% rule. A buyout is different than a buyback(one is a bonus payment and one is escalated salaries), but Id imagine that they would be treated the same way. My guess is this is much ado about nothing.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the NFL voided a provision of a contract 4 years after it's signing and league approval is even legal under state and federal contract law.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=crasherino;3627977]Its the Revis' camps latest salvo in return for the Jets leaking the $100 million offer it was set to make. Pretty creative one, actually.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't know what that would accomplish though. Would they expect Tannenbaum to read it and go "Oh ****, I never thought of that! Now they have more leverage". And 99% of the fans don't understand stuff like the 30% rule. Just cap nerds like Jason :D (kidding, you know I love reading your stuff). This is probably just Florio being a douche.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 06-18-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3628024]I don't what that would accomplish though. Would they expect Tannenabaum to read it and go "Oh ****, I never thought of that! Now they have more leverage". And 99% of the fans don't understand stuff like the 30% rule. Just cap nerds like Jason :D (kidding, you know I love reading your stuff). This is probably just Florio being a douche.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but who is feeding this info to Florio? Surely he's not digging through this sh!t on his own.

It would accomplish putting the story out there that Revis is driving a hard bargain because he really will be a FA after 2010, not 2012 as everyone previously thought. So, when people say "REvis is being totally unreasonable asking for more money than Aso - the guy is still under contract for 3 years." This story puts that underlying premise into question.

But you're right in that all of these stories are a sideshow. It will get done when it gets done.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3627904]Or it could be that the Jets want to front-load a bunch of cash now due to the uncapped season. They can also get out of the provision on his rookie deal that they would not be able to use the franchise tag after his contract expires.

All this has probably been mapped out for a long time, the team is really in good hands with Tannenbaum. It's pretty much out of the realm of possibility that Tannenbaum's been blind-sided by these clauses he hadn't thought of, while Mike Florio figured it out sitting behind his keyboard.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree Buzz, I'm just saying that early on I opined that Revis and the Jets had come to an understanding early on that they would work on a new deal in THIS off season. I just didn't know what would make the Jets rework a deal 3 years out. Now this revelation makes it make more sense, because even if you are right about the RFA situation, it still make redoing a deal with Revis more urgent than if they had him under control for 3 more years.

My guess when the original deal was signed both Tanny and Revis knew that if he became a top CB they'd work a new deal THIS off season, however ASO's deal with the Raiders has thrown a monkey wrench into works. Revis has done his job and expects to be paid as the top CB in the league. But Tanny has the whole team to think about and knows that to top ASO's deal WILL affect his efforts at retaining the maximum number of players he wants to keep.

That's the impass. BOTH sides have legitimate positions. Revis deserves to be paid as the top CB, and in a vacuum the Jets would gladly make it happen. Unfortunately Tanny isn't operating in a vacuum and this puts him in a very difficult spot

In the end a deal WILL get done and it will be interesting to get the details. Believe me, but when THIS contract is done, its length will be measured in inches not pages. ;)

[QUOTE=crasherino;3627977]Its the Revis' camps latest salvo in return for the Jets leaking the $100 million offer it was set to make. Pretty creative one, actually.

Are Feinsod and Schwartz trying to become the pariah agents in the league? They only have a few marquee clients -Revis, Roddy White and VIncent Jackson - and each one of them is (or has) engaged in a major contract dispute.

I don't think that's a coincidence.[/QUOTE]

I think this is just Florio being Florio to be honest. I guess its possible Revis' agents fed him the info (Florio likes to claim he has a copy of the deal laying at his house holding a door open) , but more likely its Florio just reading into something that does not exist.

One last think to consider on the subject. Revis' entire rookie deal was subject to the 25% rule for rookies when it was signed. That has nothing to do with capped or uncapped years, but the rules are basically the same as the 30% rules except with a smaller raise. It passed at that point in time. I cant see why now it would fail.

It's an impressive piece of Fiction by Florio.

But, really, it just shows that he has absolutely zero understanding of the CBA.

The 30% rule only applies to contracts signed in the 2009 league year or later. Revis's rookie deal was grandfathered in. And it's not a new contract if we "buyback" his option years, it's us exercising our rights under his current contract.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 06-20-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Dumb article and it's stupid to assume that the NFL would just react that way to a contract signed so many years ago.