Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets praise new turf at new stadium after the practice-ESPN

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets praise new turf at new stadium after the practice-ESPN

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...n-injury-issue[/url]

Virtually in concert, the New York Jets praised the FieldTurf in the new Meadowlands stadium after Wednesday's public practice.

A day earlier, New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon suffered a season-ending knee injury when he crumpled to the ground untouched on a punt return.

The Giants seem less certain than the Jets about the artificial surface's culpability.

"I was right there when it happened and I saw it right away," Giants safety Antrel Rolle told ESPNNewYork.com reporter Ohm Youngmisuk on Thursday. "And I was, like, 'Damn, it don't look good.' He didn't make a cut or anything. It just got caught in the turf."

Said receiver Steve Smith of the turf: "I thought it was real slippery. We were all slipping and stuff. Hopefully it settles in when more people do stuff on it."

Giants general manager Jerry Reese said the FieldTurf wasn't to blame. FieldTurf spokesman Chip Namias also refuted Rolle's opinion.

"With all due and sincere respect to Antrel Rolle, who is a wonderful player, he is simply not medically trained or qualified to make such a statement," Namias said. "The people who run NFL teams are ultra conscientious, and there's a very good reason why 21 of the 32 member clubs use FieldTurf."

Rolle also complained about the surface being hot on the bottoms of his feet and claimed several of his teammates had a similar experience. Slippage was another concern.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin stopped short at blaming the turf, but suggested it was an issue.

"You can speculate on whatever you want," Coughlin said. "Fact of the matter is it was an injury that occurred when he was not hit. He was running up the field and we are just going to leave it at that."

The Jets acted plenty confident in the surface Wednesday. Quarterback Mark Sanchez, recovering from offseason knee surgery, participated fully in the workout.

"The turf is great," Sanchez said of the turf. "I didn’t have any slippage. [Antonio] Cromartie did, but he’s so athletic that he’s like when a dog falls, they get up so quick, you almost don’t see it."

Jets punter Steve Weatherford and outside linebacker Calvin Pace raved about the turf. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson told me "It's a fast track. Guys are going to really enjoy playing on it." Cornerback Darrelle Revis noted it could stand to be broken in more.

"It's new turf," Jets inside linebacker Bart Scott said. "It takes a while for this stuff to harden up and mat down. There's going to be loose rubber until you run over it a couple times. ... But you just have to make the adjustment. Early on you may have to go with shorter spikes, and then as it hardens up you can go with longer spikes.

"But I think it's still top-notch. It's soft. It's level. There's no divots. There's no seams. You just have to break it in."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    well there you have it

our inferior co-owners are a bunch of whining nancies

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! It should be fine once it settles. Injuries happen, it's part of the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3627887][url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...n-injury-issue[/url]

Virtually in concert, the New York Jets praised the FieldTurf in the new Meadowlands stadium after Wednesday's public practice.

A day earlier, New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon suffered a season-ending knee injury when he crumpled to the ground untouched on a punt return.

The Giants seem less certain than the Jets about the artificial surface's culpability.

"I was right there when it happened and I saw it right away," Giants safety Antrel Rolle told ESPNNewYork.com reporter Ohm Youngmisuk on Thursday. "And I was, like, 'Damn, it don't look good.' He didn't make a cut or anything. It just got caught in the turf."

Said receiver Steve Smith of the turf: "I thought it was real slippery. We were all slipping and stuff. Hopefully it settles in when more people do stuff on it."

Giants general manager Jerry Reese said the FieldTurf wasn't to blame. FieldTurf spokesman Chip Namias also refuted Rolle's opinion.

[B]"With all due and sincere respect to Antrel Rolle, who is a wonderful player, he is simply not medically trained or qualified to make such a statement,[/B]" Namias said. "The people who run NFL teams are ultra conscientious, and there's a very good reason why 21 of the 32 member clubs use FieldTurf."

Rolle also complained about the surface being hot on the bottoms of his feet and claimed several of his teammates had a similar experience. Slippage was another concern.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin stopped short at blaming the turf, but suggested it was an issue.

"You can speculate on whatever you want," Coughlin said. "Fact of the matter is it was an injury that occurred when he was not hit. He was running up the field and we are just going to leave it at that."

The Jets acted plenty confident in the surface Wednesday. Quarterback Mark Sanchez, recovering from offseason knee surgery, participated fully in the workout.

"The turf is great," Sanchez said of the turf. "I didn’t have any slippage. [Antonio] Cromartie did, but he’s so athletic that he’s like when a dog falls, they get up so quick, you almost don’t see it."

Jets punter Steve Weatherford and outside linebacker Calvin Pace raved about the turf. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson told me "It's a fast track. Guys are going to really enjoy playing on it." Cornerback Darrelle Revis noted it could stand to be broken in more.

"It's new turf," Jets inside linebacker Bart Scott said. "It takes a while for this stuff to harden up and mat down. There's going to be loose rubber until you run over it a couple times. ... But you just have to make the adjustment. Early on you may have to go with shorter spikes, and then as it hardens up you can go with longer spikes.

"But I think it's still top-notch. It's soft. It's level. There's no divots. There's no seams. You just have to break it in."[/QUOTE]

If a player who is experiencing the turf first hand is not "qualified" to make a statement, then i don't know who is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least the turh is OK.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Rolle also complained about the surface being hot on the bottoms of his feet[/QUOTE]

:bigcry:

:rotfl:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Rolle also complained about the surface being hot on the bottoms of his feet [/QUOTE]

Great now Revis will holdout for air conditioned cleats..:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3627961]Great now Revis will holdout for air conditioned cleats..:yes:[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3627961]Great now Revis will holdout for air conditioned cleats..:yes:[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO! :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think everyone in the NFL will like the new field.

[QUOTE]Asked about the new stadium and particularly the turf after his Week 2 loss to the Jets, Tom Brady said, "It's a nice stadium I guess. The turf was pretty comfortable when I was laying down on it."[/QUOTE]

;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Asked about the new stadium and particularly the turf after his Week 2 loss to the Jets, Tom Brady said, "It's a nice stadium I guess. The turf was pretty comfortable when I was laying down on it, [B]and it tasted fine when I was eating it.[/B]"[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's this kinda knowledge that makes these guys pros...some good stuff there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gholstons Revenge;3627945]If a player who is experiencing the turf first hand is not "qualified" to make a statement, then i don't know who is.[/QUOTE]

C'mon the suit who has never been on a football field in his life is qualified!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gholstons Revenge;3627945]If a player who is experiencing the turf first hand is not "qualified" to make a statement, then i don't know who is.[/QUOTE]

A Doctor?

An Orthopedist?

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    its turjf,,,shut the fu.. up and play run and get used to it...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess if you are the Giants it's better to focus the story on the turf than on the upcoming 6-10 season they are about to live through.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

:D lolz

I'm more concerned that Mark Sanchez apparently has a falling dog.

:dunno:

Whats up with that.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: Court documents claim Field Turf increases injuries- NY Post

Report: Court documents claim FieldTurf increases injuries
    Jets BlogNYPOST.COM STAFF

Posted: 5:51 PM, June 18, 2010

The Vikings might have known that the Giants would lose Domenik Hixon for the season.

Court documents filed by the team in a lawsuit involving the Metrodome cite "an NFL study that found the rate of anterior cruciate ligament injuries is 88 percent higher in games played on FieldTurf than in games played on grass."

Hixon tore his ACL without contact in the first football practice on the FieldTurf at New Meadowlands Stadium. He is out for the season.

According to the Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal, the company that runs the Metrodome "rejected FieldTurf’s bid after the Vikings expressed concerns about the safety of the company’s product — the main reason for replacing the Dome’s existing turf in the first place."

FieldTurf USA is suing to stop the Vikings from using a competitor's turf product. The Vikings say they chose Sportex because, “Medically, FieldTurf has proven to increase risk and severity of injury in NFL players.”

The report says FieldTurf claims "the NFL findings were flawed and points to a pair of studies by Montana State University that declared FieldTurf to be safe."

Antrel Rolle was one of the more outspoken Giants about the condition of the Meadowlands turf, blaming it for Hixon's injury.

"It just didn't feel good to me at all. I can't lie to you about that," Rolle told ESPN.com. "I am not one to really complain or make excuses or anything, but they should definitely look into that as far as playing on that field in the future during the season."

Jerry Reese said the turf was not to blame for Hixon's injury.

"It could have happened right here on this grass field,'' the GM told The Post.

The makers of FieldTurf agreed.

"With all due and sincere respect to Antrel Rolle, who is a wonderful player, he is simply not medically trained or qualified to make such a statement," FieldTurf spokesman Chip Namias told ESPN.com. "The people who run NFL teams are ultra conscientious, and there's a very good reason why 21 of the 32 member clubs use FieldTurf."

Namias also told ESPN.com the study cited "was known to have significant flaws, and therefore, it has not been published anywhere -- in fact, it hasn’t even been peer-reviewed.”

The Jets, who practiced at the new stadium Thursday, did not seem bothered by the surface.

"I think it's still top-notch. It's soft. It's level. There's no divots. There's no seams," Bart Scott told ESPN.com. "You just have to break it in."

Giants Stadium used FieldTurf since 2003.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/report_court_documents_say_fieldturf_NC315QsCMcSBHmqG7qkjPN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0rIjKnbzD[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be interesting to know if more rubber pellets were added to the field after the Giants 1st practice and before the Jets 1st practice.

That IMO could totally change the surface between the 2 days.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of the turf, anyone know if they can or will do team logos in centerfield? I'd like to see our logo on the 50 on gameday.