Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Revis, Ferguson sack report of new deals

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis, Ferguson sack report of new deals

Revis, Ferguson sack report of new deals
    Jun
    6/18/2010 8:20:13 AM | More

Despite their apparent leak to the contrary, the Jets are no closer to signing Darrelle Revis or D'Brickashaw Ferguson to new contracts according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post.

A Newsday report yesterday claimed the Jets were prepared to end their ugly contract impasse with Revis by adding six years to the disgruntled cornerback's contract that would make the total deal worth $100 million.

But Revis laughed off that report to friends, pointing out that NFL contracts are not guaranteed and that the only thing that matters -- at least in pro football negotiations -- is money paid up front in the form of bonuses and other guarantees.

Under the league's current system, the Jets could cut Revis before any of the six years kicks in, rendering the $100 million figure meaningless.

People close to Revis said he considers the Jets to be the source of that leaked report and that he feels it was yet another attempt by the team to make itself look good while making Revis appear greedy.

The Jets denied leaking the information, releasing a statement last night that said, "Throughout these negotiations, we have expressed our appreciation and respect for Darrelle as a player and a person, as well as our commitment to finding a resolution that works for both sides."

The agent for Ferguson, meanwhile, took issue with the same report because it said the offensive tackle was on the verge of a long-term extension with the Jets that could be reached before training camp starts Aug. 2 "barring unexpected complications."

That was news to agent Brad Blank, who appeared to doubt a deal could get done that quickly considering he has yet to receive a contract proposal from Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"It's hard to say that [you could get a deal done by camp] when you've never exchanged proposals and don't even know if you're in the same ballpark," Blank told The Post yesterday. "We haven't heard anything from the Jets."

Comments

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Comments? I hate leftovers. Bart Hubhugger is a fall-down drunk that hates the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is true then it is actually pretty disappointing because whomever is leaking this info out from the Jets FO to try to make the team look better is actually making them look like sneaky conniving scumbags.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a **** storm

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3627933]If this is true then it is actually pretty disappointing because whomever is leaking this info out from the Jets FO to try to make the team look better is actually making them look like sneaky conniving scumbags.[/QUOTE]

That's about how I feel. Our FO doesn't seem to be the best at negotiating through the media. No way to know if it's true or not as of now, though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like Revis signed and all that, but these twice daily reports and updates are gettin' pretty old. I think it's time for Brett to hold a press conference, arrive with a flower, and begin the "I'm retiring---I'm retiring not---I'm retiring---I'm retiring not" routine.That should distract the media for a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3628088]That's about how I feel.[B] Our FO doesn't seem to be the best at negotiating through the media.[/B] No way to know if it's true or not as of now, though.[/QUOTE]

And in your opinion that would be what teams FO???