Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Manish Mehta Now Jenny Vrentas...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Manish Mehta Now Jenny Vrentas...

Jenny Vrentas has got game in reporting on the Jets:

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/06/three_ways_mark_sanchez_improv.html[/url]

Shocking after all these years we may finally get substance from the
    reporters covering the Jets. Keep up the good work Jenny

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    All for good reporting for once.

But before I opened this thread i seriously thought you meant Manish changed his name to Jenny.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3628179]All for good reporting for once.

But before I opened this thread i seriously thought you meant Manish changed his name to Jenny.[/QUOTE]

That would be more Womanish then Manish..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3628185]That would be more Womanish then Manish..:yes:[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO. :yes::)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Women sports reporters, ehhsh.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3628179]All for good reporting for once.

But before I opened this thread i seriously thought you meant Manish changed his name to Jenny.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the NY Jets print beat writer situation got better especially when our Dick left the Daily News for espn.

we still have the Bart Hubbuch cross to bear at the Post but, as I understand it, he is the second stringer and will, more or less, disappear from sight when Canizzaro finishes up his Pebble Beach coverage and training camp begins (except for brief sojourns to the Open Championship at St Andrews and the PGA Championship)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Savage on a roll!:D

lolz

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    both do professional jobs but I hope we as fans don't mistake "relentlessly positive" for good.

That is to say I am very impressed with the job mehta is doing and jen too but lets see how they write articles in a losing streak... or some other glum situation.

offseason smoke blowing is not really a good sample to judge a beat writer on... they do that at nyj.com really well...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3628403]both do professional jobs but I hope we as fans don't mistake "relentlessly positive" for good.

That is to say I am very impressed with the job mehta is doing and jen too but lets see how they write articles in a losing streak... or some other glum situation.

offseason smoke blowing is not really a good sample to judge a beat writer on... they do that at nyj.com really well...[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, however, it wasn't Cimini's lack of positive press that got most Jets fans. It was the fact that every single article he wrote had to have some form of negative press. Something good to write about? Fine, but he had to always have some form of negative or pessimistic view point to it.

Why couldn't Cimini have balance? Why does he need to stick a fork in our eye every time he writes?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3628403]both do professional jobs but I hope we as fans don't mistake "relentlessly positive" for good.

[B]offseason smoke blowing is not really a good sample to judge a beat writer on... they do that at nyj.com really well[/B]...[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Thus far, that's what the new guys have been like. Nothing wrong with that...up to a point. While this team is as stacked as it has been in some time, there are definite concerns that may very well manifest themselves in the regular season. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not just the overt negative bias that Cimini has, its that Manish and Jenny are outclassing Cimini with the depth of the details and insight that they are providing in their articles.

Lets face it. Cimini hasn't written a story in 10 years with the same depth as the attached.

The Daily News upgraded in a major way in jettisoning Cimini and bringing in actual professional journalists on their staff. Cimini simply isnt at their level.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the outside looking in, journalism appears to be a very unfair field for writers to be involved in. There comes a point of diminishing marginal returns on effort invested; as a writer, you can take the extra step to do great research, or you can put out a quick negative spin that you know will sell as many copies as if you had actually put in any work.

As a result, we get a lot of writers who don't necessarily have any writing talent, or research talent.

Most of their articles consist of paragraphs this long.

They try to be clever with outdated and cliche references. Their info is more often speculation than linked to any inside sources.

We all know the drill, I'm sure we have unfortunately read more of Cimini's trash in the last few years than we'd like to admit. In fact, ESPNNewYork.com seems to have exclusively hired writers who have very little actual talent for journalism. McManus is perhaps an exception. Almost all of them are all yellow sensationalists who would have been superstars in turn of the 20th century America, but today come off as petty and very low-class.

It's good to see that there are some new journalists covering the Jets who seem to be willing to take that extra step and put in the research and networking effort required to produce an insightful piece. As for how long they will remain that way once they realize they can have the same net readership effect if they turn into the next Cimini...remains to be determined.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=woodside;3628483]Its not just the overt negative bias that Cimini has, its that Manish and Jenny are outclassing Cimini with the depth of the details and insight that they are providing in their articles.

Lets face it. Cimini hasn't written a story in 10 years with the same depth as the attached.

The Daily News upgraded in a major way in jettisoning Cimini and bringing in actual professional journalists on their staff. Cimini simply isnt at their level.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Craphead Cimini is just implacably opposed to anything the Jets do and taints every single article he writes like a cancer that can't be surgically removed - he can't help himself. I'm ok with what Manish and Jenny have provided so far - while optimistic they are not unreasonable. Certainly they are more fair and level than craphead

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the good news, I guess, for the loss to the gloom and doomer SOJF of their favorite print beat writer, our Dick at the News is that they still have Joe Benigoramus at WFAN and Barf Hubbecch is making a run for the bottom at the Post

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I could play Devil’s Advocate here, I don’t know how any of you could possibly blame Cimini for having a pessimist view of the Jets after covering the abomination of a franchise the last 20 years (or however long he has). Not to mention he seems like he’s been a NY guy his whole life so he’s lived through all the same torturous moments as the rest of us. I’m not saying he’s my favorite writer, and I believe Manish is definitely better, but all he was doing was basically mirroring the same feelings as many Jets fans who have been beaten down over the years by the losing. One could certainly argue it’s a sports writers job not to let that happen, but it’s human nature.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=how dare you;3629555]If I could play Devilís Advocate here, I donít know how any of you could possibly blame Cimini for having a pessimist view of the Jets after covering the abomination of a franchise the last 20 years (or however long he has). Not to mention he seems like heís been a NY guy his whole life so heís lived through all the same torturous moments as the rest of us. Iím not saying heís my favorite writer, and I believe Manish is definitely better, but all he was doing was basically mirroring the same feelings as many Jets fans who have been beaten down over the years by the losing. One could certainly argue itís a sports writers job not to let that happen, but itís human nature.[/QUOTE]

I've been a fan since the franchise started and I'm not pessimistic.. Writers whether they are sports,political or entertainment love to go negative it's their nature and also gets them noticed for having a contrarian view.. The Pats even during their Super Bowl runs had negative columnists in Boston.. Cimini reads this board and likes to satisfy the SOJF's that are still here in bunches..:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant bother extending myself enough to actually have much of an opinion on how other Jet fans support this team, some are homers, some are Benigno-ish SOJF's...who gives a rats arse?

Its the height of off season dopiness when we engage in who is the better fan, who got the better seats in the new stadium type blather.

There's all kinds and they all have two things in common; Pain and the Jets. Some choose to dwell on it, some choose to move on.
    I can appreciate both outlooks, and dance back and forth between the two myself at times.

:dunno:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly thought this would be about a local sports reporter who got a sex change operation.

Needless to say, I am disappointed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could the News be in on the conspiracy that DUNCCP suggests? :eek: