Thread: Jason Cole's O-line Rankings

Veteran

Jason Cole's O-line Rankings

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Akh_IZGEb.RNbfc573_7UctDubYF?slug=jc-olinerankings061810[/url]

I'm confused . . .

2. New England Patriots: Critics will immediately say the Patriots are over-ranked at this spot. Thereís no debating that the groupís high ranking is partially a reflection of the rest of the league being downright mediocre. The Pats have problems right now at left tackle, where Matt Light(notes) is close to the end. If they donít re-sign guard Logan Mankins(notes), the best of the group but who is so unhappy that he has demanded a trade, this unit is going into serious freefall. That said, few groups in the NFL work together as well as the Patriots. Obviously quarterback Tom Brady(notes), the fourth-most hit passer in the league, helps a lot. But itís still a good unit.

5. Miami Dolphins: This is the best run-blocking unit in the league, hands down, showing the emphasis head coach (and former offensive line coach) Tony Sparano puts on line play. This group is the embodiment of what Bill Parcells loves in a line: a bunch of big, intimidating maulers. Some people might question having so many big guys in a place where the weather takes its toll, but the Dolphins are making it work, starting with the outstanding play of left tackle Jake Long. The interior line is still problematic, but if Jake Grove(notes) can stay healthy, that should solidify the center spot. If Richie Incognito(notes) can keep his head straight, this unit could take a step forward.

7. New York Jets :eek:: I can already hear the good folks of Gang Green ripping me for putting this unit only one spot ahead of the Giants after the Jets led the league in rushing last season. That would be a reasonable thing to say if the pass protection hadnít been so bad last year (the Jets ranked No. 23 according to Football Outsiders). A lot of that goes to the youth of quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes), but facts are facts. All of that said, no line in the league has a better chance of moving up significantly this season than the Jets, even after the release of veteran Alan Faneca(notes).

30. Buffalo Bills: The Bills finished dead last in the league last season in pass blocking, which should explain a lot of the struggles for anybody who went under center last season. At least they were above average in run blocking and the addition of offensive-minded head coach Chan Gailey will keep the Bills from doing stupid things that accentuate their lack of talent up front. Still, thereís only so much you can do.

Veteran
    Besides LT, exactly where on the OL is Miami better than the Jets? Even their advantage at LT isn't THAT much of an upgrade over what we have with Brick. Somebody help me out with this one.

Cole used to work in South Florida for many years I believe with the Sun-Sentinel so he may be a Dolphin homer.

I'm trying fo figure out how the Dolphins all of a sudden have this great o-line?

and the Pats at #2?

Hall Of Fame
    lol

All Pro
    I like how he says that the Dolphins are the best run blocking team in the league and then in the Jets paragraph he talks about how the Jets line had the most rushing yards in the league.

Maybe he's thinking outside the box and not using rushing stats to rank the best rushers.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=IHATEDOLPHINS;3628710]Cole used to work in South Florida for many years I believe with the Sun-Sentinel so he may be a Dolphin homer.

I'm trying fo figure out how the Dolphins all of a sudden have this great o-line?

[B]and the Pats at #2?[/B][/QUOTE]

Pats have problems at left tackle..a QB who gets smacked around..and basically no running game.
    And the are ranked #2.

Sounds like this was written by someone on The Bleacher Report.

the Jets have the best offensive line in football.

Veteran
    Let them think it

Cole is a former Writer for the dolphins!! FAIL!!

Yeah. This guy's a moron. Jets are the best O-line in the division by far. At worst, they're top 5 in the NFL.

well, they did pretty well with faneca who was close to being a turnstile during pass protection. i guess considering that they will have an inexperienced lg, 7 isn't such a bad place to be. patsies no. 2? maybe by reputation. they have no run game and brady did well because he was able to hit those short passes to welker. let the patsies have to pass block for more than 2 seconds and they're toast.

as a matter of fact, i wonder if there is a metric that tracks the pass blocking duration against the hurries/sacks etc. seems to me an oline that can pass block for over 3 seconds and give up 25% sacks or hurries would be better than one that pass blocks 2 seconds and gives up 10% sacks/hurries.

He must've pulled those rankings out of his A$$. What the hell is this guy thinking? The New York Jets IMO, have if not the very best line in the league, VERY close to it.

However, that still doesn't cover the foolish rankings of the Dolphins and Patsies AHEAD of the Jets?? The Patsies are at the very best ranked about #16. Their line was once upon a time, VERY good, but it has slipped seriously in recent years.

The Dolphins line is very good but I would still argue them being ahead of the Jets. The Jets went as far as they did in the playoffs because of their line play. The Offensive line of the Jets stole the show. They completely DOMINATED the Bengals and Chargers.

Yeah, Revis had a lot to do with it also, but the thing that stuck out to me the most in our playoff run was the overall DOMINANCE of the OL.

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3628805]Yeah. This guy's a moron. Jets are the best O-line in the division by far. At worst, they're top 5 in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how he has the Pats at 2?Did he watch any Pats games last year.Miami has a better o-line than the Pats

This is clearly written with out bias and absolute objectivity.:rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3628805]Yeah. This guy's a moron. Jets are the best O-line in the division by far. At worst, they're top 5 in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Stop being a non-homer!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'm outraged.