Thread: Cimini-Sunday notes:'Two-Headed backfield'

Cimini-Sunday notes:'Two-Headed backfield'

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/611/are-two-heads-better-than-one[/url]
    [QUOTE]TWO-HEADED BACKFIELD

When the Jets signed future Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson, it was widely assumed that he'd play a complementary role, with Shonn Greene rising to "feature-back" status. Hold everything. According to running backs coach Anthony Lynn, "I see myself as having two starters."

What Lynn meant is this: Playing time will be determined, in large part, by game situations and matchups. As he explained the other day, "It depends on the flow of the game. If we're better off in our big personnel, Shonn will get more touches. If we go little, like we did last year with Leon (Washington) in our nickel package, L.T. will get more touches. It's all situational."

Lynn compared it to the Washington-Thomas Jones tandem last season. If that's the case, the workloads will be fairly close to even. Before Washington's season-ending injury in Week 7, he had 70 carries and 15 catches for 85 touches. Jones had 96 carries and four receptions for 100 touches. That's almost a 50-50 split.

Is Tomlinson, who turns 31 on Wednesday, up to 14 touches per game -- 14 productive touches? There was nothing he did in OTAs or minicamp (at least nothing open to the media) that made you say, "Wow, he's back." But let's not send him to the glue factory just yet. Making a definitive statement about a running back in non-contact drills is like critiquing a movie based on the trailer.

CHUNKY GREENE

The organization has two concerns about Greene: Durability and weight. His ideal weight is 226 to 228 pounds, according to Lynn, but he showed up seven pounds overweight at the start of the off-season program. That's not a whole lot -- his rib injury in the AFC Championship Game may have affected his post-season conditioning -- but it's still something to keep an eye on.

As for injuries, Greene's physical running style will always make him more vulnerable to dings than most backs. But as Lynn said, "Down the road, he has to learn to play with pain and discomfort." He wasn't questioning Greene's toughness. Actually, Lynn recalled Greene's ankle injury in training camp, thinking at the time that he "snapped it ... It was ugly." It wasn't a long-term injury, as Greene made it back relatively quickly, but part of being an every-down back -- the Jets' goal for Greene -- is performing at less than 100%. Curtis Martin made a career of it, and he's going to Canton. [/QUOTE]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... no smarmy backhanded compliment ... rich must be enjoying his fathers day bbq! ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    this whole article is exactly wrong with these experts..who the hell thought greene was going to be the feature back??

i did and do. but it depends upon how the jets want to run their plays. lt may still be a very good third down back so it would make sense to have him in there. it's all about situational substitutions and, while i'm no big fan of this concept because it means that more plays need to be learned and it's better to keep it simple, this is probably what sch#tty wants to do.

we'll see what happens. i hope mcknight and the other guy can provide adequate depth.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3629177]this whole article is exactly wrong with these experts..who the hell thought greene was going to be the feature back??[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3629177]this whole article is exactly wrong with these experts..who the hell thought greene was going to be the feature back??[/QUOTE]

uhhh about 93.25% of JI do... but i agree. I think we're looking at a rotational play time approach.

Jets Insider VIP
    If LT is getting 50% of the touches, we are in trouble. The guy stinks at this point in his career. San Diego doesnt think of letting this guy go unless they are absolutely sure he has nothing left in the tank.

And sadly, he has nothing left in the tank. Oh well. Hopefully, the coaching staff figures this out sooner rather then later.

coachspeak - LT has a huge ego and they are stroking it - when it comes down to it a healthy Greene >>>>>>LT at this stage of his career - Rex will want to win games and a healthy dose of Greene is the key - 70%-30% split IMO

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3629557]If LT is getting 50% of the touches, we are in trouble. The guy stinks at this point in his career. San Diego doesnt think of letting this guy go unless they are absolutely sure he has nothing left in the tank.

And sadly, he has nothing left in the tank. Oh well. Hopefully, the coaching staff figures this out sooner rather then later.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, the Jets would pay for a washed-up nobody. :rolleyes: Schottenheimer is well connected with LT; together they will generate offense for the Jets, no problem.

Bewildered Beast
    She-meanie is wrong to bring this up; ask Savage about McNeil-Hector and you know what you'll hear from him. Yet, She-meanie cannot go back and draw a parallel to other successful "2-headed monsters" the Jets have fielded. Nope, ol Rich has to draw out the CuMar card. Never mind that the WCO is pretty much dead as an offense - lets drag "Curtis Martin the HOF" out as another reason the Jets will **** things up somehow.

99% of Jets fans and he still will be the feature back. Shonn will start and will get more carries in 90% or more of games. LT is going to be like Leon. If LT, like Leon, is getting 85 out of 185 touches, he still isn't the feature back.

LT will get a lot more pass receptions than Shonn though which will raise his touches total but Shonn will have a 2 or 3-to-1 ratio when it comes to carrying the rock.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3629557]
    And sadly, he has nothing left in the tank. Oh well. Hopefully, the coaching staff figures this out sooner rather then later.[/QUOTE]

So you've figured it out, but the coaching staff who work in the profession of football for a living haven't yet?

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3629797]99% of Jets fans and he still will be the feature back. Shonn will start and will get more carries in 90% or more of games. [/QUOTE]

Here's the guys I was talking about.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]So you've figured it out, but the coaching staff who work in the profession of football for a living haven't yet? [/QUOTE]

Go back and watch the Jets/Chargers playoff game. LT was horrible. Everytime he got the ball, I said to myself "Thank God". I mean, he was that bad.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3629804]Go back and watch the Jets/Chargers playoff game. LT was horrible. Everytime he got the ball, I said to myself "Thank God". I mean, he was that bad.[/QUOTE]

Being on a run first team will no doubt help him. San Diego stopped caring about the run once Rivers evolved into a top tier QB. He isn't going to rush for 1,500 yards, but don't be surprised if has a 4ypc average running behind this line and behind Shonn.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3629804]Go back and watch the Jets/Chargers playoff game. LT was horrible. Everytime he got the ball, I said to myself "Thank God". I mean, he was that bad.[/QUOTE]

So going up against the #1 defense in the NFL without a top OL had nothing to do with his struggles? If you watch LT in that game, you see that his problem had nothing to do with being able to hit the hole, it was that there was no hole to hit. Same problem that plagued our own Thomas Jones in that same game (and the entire stretch run) - when there was no hole, he didn't go anywhere.

Difference is, our OL can open holes that help a one-cut back like TJ rip off 1400 yards at 31. LT is nowhere near as good as he used to be...but he'll be at the very least as effective for the Jets as TJ was down the stretch. His receiving and blitz-pickup skills will hopefully be what make him an upgrade.

Jets Insider VIP
    one can only imagine the negative report Dick of espn would have filed if the Jets running back coach had said "well rich, we don't think Tomlinson could be a starting running back for us"

All Pro

i repeat, so you're saying you've figured out something the coaching staff hasn't yet. Its their profession, but you're some kind of tape watching windtalker?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Paradis;3629831]i repeat, so you're saying you've figured out something the coached staff hasn't yet.[/QUOTE]

Yet he loves Chaddy cakes to death..:P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3629831]i repeat, so you're saying you've figured out something the coached staff hasn't yet.[/QUOTE]

LT wasn't good against the Jet defense in that game. Neither was Sproles.

Thomas Two Yards, on the other hand sucked against the mediocre Charger defense and was even worse next week when he didn't have Shonn Greene available to keep him on the bench where he belonged.

LT is a big upgrade over TTY

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Its their profession, but you're some kind of tape watching windtalker? [/QUOTE]

Yes and my mental playcalling on game day is much much better then Schotty. Dont get me started on that.