Thread: Mejia Sent down!!!

Rookie

Mejia Sent down!!!

Mets have sent Mejia to AA Binghamton as a starter. No corresponding move yet
    LONG overdue. Bring back Parnell!

http://twitter.com/kburkhardtsny

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I thought this guy was supposed to be the next Sandy Koufax?

Who the hell said anything about Koufax? In any case, he still could be damn good. Problem is our manager is a nitwit. Kid is 20 years old and he was being used as the mop-up guy, seeing 2-3 innings a week. We said all along that if this was gonna be his role, he shouldn't be up with the big club. Send him back to Bingo, stretch his arm out, let him work out his control issues and refine his off-speed stuff. He'll be back to Citi in 2011...as a starter.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 06-20-2010 at 06:07 PM.

i don't recall anyone saying that...the kid has a bright future...its just not his time...and the pen is not the place for him.

All League
    Finally!

Opposed to Joba who was supposed to be the next Cy Young?

Im not suprised....this is right about the time where if they send him down and let him start for the remainder of the year, he can still reach his innings limit for the year. Or if not, nothing a stint in the AFL/Winter Ball won't fix.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 06-21-2010 at 12:03 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    LONG overdue. Bring back Parnell!

http://twitter.com/kburkhardtsny
    Parnell?

I thought they did this move for Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Parnell?

I thought they did this move for Maine.
    Maine's getting "re-evaluated" by the doctors. Sounds like they're just going to shut him down for a while. Obviously something still isn't right that he's only throwing 86-88 in rehab outings. Either his arm is shot, or he's still hurt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Maine's getting "re-evaluated" by the doctors. Sounds like they're just going to shut him down for a while. Obviously something still isn't right that he's only throwing 86-88 in rehab outings. Either his arm is shot, or he's still hurt.
    Thanks.

I don't the Mets were just maneuvering things for when Maine comes back. If he has a setback then they might as well do something else. They like the rotation as it is anyway.

All League

Move was long overdue.

Get him groomed, this kid has potential.

Welcome back Bobby.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post
    Joba was mostly the product of hype.

Hughes always was the best pitching prospect in the Yankee system, but that got overlooked for a season or 2 with the Joba Hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Joba was mostly the product of hype.

Hughes always was the best pitching prospect in the Yankee system, but that got overlooked for a season or 2 with the Joba Hype.
    Joba had/has a higher ceiling, his secondary stuff is better than Hughes, plus he throws harder. Joba just can't touch Hughes' control and command of his pitches, and Hughes fastball has movement, Joba's doesn't.

He is going down so he can work on his secondary pitches, get more work and come back as a starter. I think they learned a good lesson from the Yankees and how they handled Joba. He wasn't sent down for poor performance, they just don't want to waste his talents in the bullpen forever.

I was surprised by the move since I think he could really help the team this year outta the pen. I could see this move if the Mets were not looking like a playoff team, but that's not the case this year. Not sure why they brought him up and put him in the bullpen in the first place if they weren't going to keep him in the bullpen all year. He is definitely one of the better arms coming outta the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Joba had/has a higher ceiling, his secondary stuff is better than Hughes, plus he throws harder. Joba just can't touch Hughes' control and command of his pitches, and Hughes fastball has movement, Joba's doesn't.
    Hughes was always the better prospect coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by SackDancer99 View Post
    Hughes was always the better prospect coming up.
    Tough to say, Hughes was obviously in the Yankee system far longer (drafted out of HS), so he was touted for much longer, but after a few months pitching in the Yankees farm system, Joba dominated his was through the Yankee system. After the 2007 season, most scouts had Joba ahead of Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by SackDancer99 View Post
    He is going down so he can work on his secondary pitches, get more work and come back as a starter. I think they learned a good lesson from the Yankees and how they handled Joba. He wasn't sent down for poor performance, they just don't want to waste his talents in the bullpen forever.

I was surprised by the move since I think he could really help the team this year outta the pen. I could see this move if the Mets were not looking like a playoff team, but that's not the case this year. Not sure why they brought him up and put him in the bullpen in the first place if they weren't going to keep him in the bullpen all year. He is definitely one of the better arms coming outta the pen.
    Mets wasted almost 3 months of his development time hidden in the Mets bullpen, so I'm not sure what they learned from the Yankees. Joba played a big role in the Yankee pullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Mets wasted almost 3 months of his development time hidden in the Mets bullpen, so I'm not sure what they learned from the Yankees. Joba played a big role in the Yankee pullpen.
    Did they really?

Mejia was always going to be capped around (at the absolute most) 140 innings this year anyways, between starting for the rest of the year, any game he gets in as a September callup, and a brief stint in winter ball. I see no reason why he still can't get there.

And I would like to think he picked up a thing or two from being around people like Santana and K-Rod for a couple months, and facing MLB caliber hitters.