Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell: NFL no longer needs 4 preseason games

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodell: NFL no longer needs 4 preseason games

Goodell: NFL no longer needs 4 preseason games
    By RACHEL COHEN, AP Sports Writer
    Jun 17, 9:26 pm EDT

Email Print NEW YORK (AP)—Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL no longer needs four preseason games, but the league should change its offseason training programs.

“It’s clear the fans don’t want four preseason games,” Goodell said Thursday after speaking to high school players at an NFL football clinic in Queens. “It’s clear the players don’t want four preseason games. They tell me that all the time. You ask them that question and they’ll tell you. And we really don’t need it to make the game better. So we have to evolve just as we did a couple of decades ago when we went from six preseason games to four.”

NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they met Wednesday for their first negotiating session since February. Teams would still play a total of 20 exhibition plus regular-season games under the proposal. The league would go from four in the preseason and 16 in the regular season to two and 18.

ADVERTISEMENT

Players have expressed concerns about an increase in injuries. Goodell suggested adjustments in the offseason programs could alleviate that.

“I think you do have to make changes,” he said. “We’ve been very open about that from Day 1. I think we have to do it regardless.”

Players don’t have much of a true offseason these days when they can rest and take a break from football. While certain workouts are technically voluntary, they may not feel that way.

“Obviously there’s a lot of pressure from teammates and coaches,” Goodell said, “so I think we’re going to have to have some guidelines and restrictions on what can be done and can’t be done in the offseason.”

The collective bargaining agreement expires in March, which could lead to a work stoppage during the 2011 season. Goodell said he wasn’t concerned about the tone of the back-and-forth between the league and the NFL Players Association.

“This is a negotiation,” he said. “You have to have a dialogue about how to make the game better.”

Goodell said he still doesn’t have enough information to make a decision on possibly disciplining Vince Young(notes). The Tennessee Titans quarterback received a misdemeanor assault citation after a fight early Sunday at a Dallas strip club.

Surveillance video footage released by Dallas police showed the quarterback and several people talking in a small room before Young attacked someone in the room. Young has apologized and said he hopes he won’t receive a suspension.

“Right now we’re just gathering facts to make sure we understand all the facts before we make any determination about the next step in our process,” Goodell said.

The sooner the better they should have started this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No sh*t.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    They might not need 4 preseason games, but they also don't need two extra regular season games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for eliminating some of those preseason games. Not sure about the wisdom of adding a pair of reg season games, but there is no way that the NFL gives up the ticket revenue for two out of 20 games per year, so the NFL season would start the last week/weekend of August and also Labor Day weekend?

That'll be interesting.

THat will mess with Fantasy draft dates. LOL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 preseason games is fine...16 games is fine...greedy ****s.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, I have been waiting for this, one less worthless Pre season game, replaced by one lock and load regular season game.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3629286]I'm all for eliminating some of those preseason games. Not sure about the wisdom of adding a pair of reg season games, but there is no way that the NFL gives up the ticket revenue for two out of 20 games per year, so the NFL season would start the last week/weekend of August and also Labor Day weekend?

That'll be interesting.

THat will mess with Fantasy draft dates. LOL[/QUOTE]

I bet they either start labor day weekend or same weekend as now and just push the playoffs out. super bowl will be end of feb by the time they are done!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for +2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think the NFL needs 4 preseason games.

Not for the starters, but for the reserves. How are you supposed to figure out who the last few guys to make the roster will be if you never get them into the games and see what they're capable of? Nevermind, that small amount of playing time is often an invaluable learning experiance for those players. You're robbing those players of their only real opportunity for playing time in a game situation by cutting out 2 preseason games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3629375]I do think the NFL needs 4 preseason games.

Not for the starters, but for the reserves. How are you supposed to figure out who the last few guys to make the roster will be if you never get them into the games and see what they're capable of? Nevermind, that small amount of playing time is often an invaluable learning experiance for those players. You're robbing those players of their only real opportunity for playing time in a game situation by cutting out 2 preseason games.[/QUOTE]

Casual fans don't care who their 3rd string LB's are...

Teams will adapt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3629286]I'm all for eliminating some of those preseason games. Not sure about the wisdom of adding a pair of reg season games, but there is no way that the NFL gives up the ticket revenue for two out of 20 games per year, so the NFL season would start the last week/weekend of August and also Labor Day weekend?

That'll be interesting.

THat will mess with Fantasy draft dates. LOL[/QUOTE]

Financially, they would break even when it comes to tickets since most teams charge full price for preseason games anyways. But with people actually attending the game, the merchandise/concessions are likely to go up.

But really, the main area will be the increased revenue from the TV networks for 2 extra weeks of regular season football, as opposed to preseason which typically has crappy ratings, especially when the starters are no longer in the game. That could be worth millions over the long haul.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3629377]Casual fans don't care who their 3rd string LB's are...

Teams will adapt.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but if those 3rd string LB's don't get their chance to develop, they might not become future 1st string LB's. In the long run, it would hurt the quality of the game. But hey, who cares about that?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3629381]Yeah, but if those 3rd string LB's don't get their chance to develop, they might not become future 1st string LB's. In the long run, it would hurt the quality of the game. But hey, who cares about that?[/QUOTE]

It is what it is.

A business. Make as much money today as humanly possible. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LV2;3629331]I bet they either start labor day weekend or same weekend as now and just push the playoffs out. super bowl will be end of feb by the time they are done![/QUOTE]

they can start by eliminating the extra week between the Conference championship games and the SB.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Venom. You can have a potential pro bowler on your roster but if he's buried behind other players how would you know if he doesn't get the reps.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news

18 games and two warmups is perfect.

Hard to believe there used to be SIX preseason games back in the 70's. The Jets used to play those and their first 4-5 games on the road while the Mets were finishing up. True torture!

Dont forget there are still intrasquad games which can be expanded to serve the extra reps certain players need. Teams will adjust.

Great news!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LV2;3629331]I bet they either start labor day weekend or same weekend as now and just push the playoffs out. super bowl will be end of feb by the time they are done![/QUOTE]

Yeah, with Presidents Day that monday after.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My take: I have tickets in the LLEZ that will cost $1,200 per season. Currently, I get ticket to 8 real games and two pieces of crap at a cost of $120 per game.

The reason the league wants 2 pre-season games and 18 regular season games is the gate for the 2 PS games is significant.

My solution: 18 regular season games. 1 Pre-Season game per team at a neutral site (places like London, Hartford, Canton, San Antonio, OKC, Louiseville). In places like that, it would be the only NFL game of the year and it would matter as teams would be forced to test their players a bit before benching them.

As for season ticket holders, they would we would continue to pay $1,200 per season for 9 real games. While I would pay more per game, I would get to see real football instead of crap.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3629388]they can start by eliminating the extra week between the Conference championship games and the SB.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would be great. How much hype can you take after awhile!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3629443]Yeah, with Presidents Day that monday after.....[/QUOTE]

Now thats an even better idea. Going to work the Monday after the SB always blows:yes: