Thread: L.T. may both be "starters" in Jets backfield

Veteran

L.T. may both be "starters" in Jets backfield

Greene and L.T. may both be "starters" in Jets backfield
    Jun
    6/21/2010 1:48:36 PM | More

Matt Bowen of The National Football Post reports that Shonn Greene and LaDainlian Tomlison may both be "starters" in the Jets backfield this season.

LaDainian Tomlinson needs to show us in camp that he is capable—accountable—when we start to look at the 2010 season in terms of production from the running back position. We all know how the Jets win football games, and because of that we should expect to see plenty of Shonn Greene when New York opens the season. And that is why I viewed L.T as nothing more than a limited situational player when he signed with the club this offseason. A guy who could be used in certain personnel packages. Not a player that is heavily involved on Sundays.

But, with Leon Washington now in Seattle, the Jets see an expanded role for L.T. this season. RB coach Anthony Lynn told Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com that he has “two starters” in his backfield when the discussion shifts to both Greene and Tomlinson. Not uncommon to have two backs who can split carries in the NFL today, but when we look back at L.T. from the ’09 season, what do the Jets really have?

We have to remember that Greene was dominant in the Jets’ playoff run. He showed power, made people miss and had the ability to run away from defensive backs. The ideal back for the Jets running game: the Power O, the Lead Strong, Lead Open, etc. Get the ball deep in the backfield and get downhill. Not exotic by any means, but very productive when run behind that offensive line in New York.

Saying that, where does L.T. fit when you put together a game plan?

Lynn did say that the Jets would use Tomlinson when they went to their nickel personnel. I can see that—to an extent. Bring in L.T. when you go three wide, spread the field and let him run the ball out of one back sets when there is an extra DB on the field in place of a linebacker. Maybe that works, but when this offense needs a play, I still see Greene as the guy—regardless of the situation on the field.

L.T does have that name value when we look in the backfield, but I saw a player last season that lacked explosion and had issues getting to the second level of the defense—a place he used to make a living. And, when we talk about running backs who don’t have that explosive first step, or who can’t press the edge of the defense, what do you really have?

Enough to call both Greene and Tomlison "starters?"

Comments

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What is Anthony Lynn supposed to say to Rich Cimini or anyone else? That they've handed the starting job to SG and that LT has no chance of starting? Even if that's the case, even if all know this, he's not going to dis a HOF back by announcing that he doesn't have enough left to start for the Jets.

Plus why would you take the carrot away from LT, let him know that he has no chance, so why bust it going into and during camp?

Shocking.

the whole starting thing is vastly overrated especially for a rb. it seems like the feature back concept had gone away with many teams using situational substitutions. just about all teams have two ball carriers and even last season leon and tj nearly shared the load. so i'm not sure what all the fuss is about. the downside is if lt doesn't have enough to play significant minutes.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3631003]the whole starting thing is vastly overrated especially for a rb. it seems like the feature back concept had gone away with many teams using situational substitutions. just about all teams have two ball carriers and even last season leon and tj nearly shared the load. so i'm not sure what all the fuss is about. the downside is if lt doesn't have enough to play significant minutes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, there's not going to be a set starter, both will play and both will play often. Greene will probably pick up 15-20 carries a game, and LT 10-15.