Thread: Gil Hodges

Gil Hodges

The Gil Hodges 1st annual golf outing was today out at the Crescent CC in Huntington, LI...it was the first annual & was a great day. Buddy Harrelson ('69 Mets), Art Shamsky ('69 Mets), & Joe Pignatano (Brooklyn Dodgers) were all there, as well as Ed Kranepool. Gil was Brooklyn born & bred & it was obvious that EVERYONE loved him. His wife is still alive & is a wonderful lady- anyway, the Foundation raises funds for underprivileged kids in & around NYC & was very well attended. If anyone interested, links below- as an aside, Buddy Harrelson made an impassioned plea for Gil's induction into the Hall of Fame.

http://hodges4kids.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Hodges

Banned
    One of the greatest players never to make it into Cooperstown and he deserves to be there anyway. Let the stat nerds overanalyze Hodges was one of the best players of the 1950's and a prototype of the offensive 1st baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    One of the greatest players never to make it into Cooperstown and he deserves to be there anyway. Let the stat nerds overanalyze Hodges was one of the best players of the 1950's and a prototype of the offensive 1st baseman.

I agree- def a first with you, VT...

I'll be the first stat geek to say he doesn't belong. Real good player, just not a Hall of Famer. With that said, he was better than a few current Hall of Famers. Bill Mazeroski and Phil Rizzuto come to mind.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I was a kid when he died, but I remember it like was yesterday. It made quite an impression on me having an active manager pass away like that...he seemed like an old man to me then, yet he was about my age now when he passed.

All League
    Good player, not a hall of famer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'll be the first stat geek to say he doesn't belong. Real good player, just not a Hall of Famer. With that said, he was better than a few current Hall of Famers. Bill Mazeroski and Phil Rizzuto come to mind.
    Hodges played in a much different era. If he played in the 80's - Present he'd already have 500+ home runs and would have 1,500+ RBIs without a doubt. He didn't have steroids and watered down pitching like players of the past 30 years have had.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Hodges played in a much different era. If he played in the 80's - Present he'd already have 500+ home runs and would have 1,500+ RBIs without a doubt. He didn't have steroids and watered down pitching like players of the past 30 years have had.
    He doesn't compare favorably to the Hall of Famers of his era.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    He doesn't compare favorably to the Hall of Famers of his era.
    Yup, the closest here ever came to winning an MVP was 7th place.