Thread: Does this bother anyone else? (met related)

Does this bother anyone else? (met related)

Johan, Pelf and K-Rod Want a Front-Line Pitcher
    June 22, 2010 at 9:37 am 27 comments

by Matthew Cerrone

According to Peter Botte of the Daily News, Mike Pelfrey, Johan Santana and Francisco Rodriguez all want to see the Mets acquire a front-line starting pitcher before the July 31 Trade Deadline.

“We’ve been playing great, but to go out and add a guy like (Roy Oswalt or Cliff Lee), it might put us over the top,” Pelfrey said, pointing out that he is also comfortable with the guys they have.

Speaking of starting pitchers…

Astros owner Drayton McLane said his team would be willing to take on another team’s poor contract, in a deal for Oswalt, if it would help return better prospects in the trade, reports the Houston Chronicle.

Last week, Craig Calcaterra of NBC Sports said the Astros and Rangers were getting close to a deal for Oswalt.

Oswalt will earn $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and has a $16 million club option or a $2 million buyout in 2012.

…from what i can gather, in exchange for approving the deal, oswalt might require his new team to pick up his option… also, at this point, more than one outlet has said the Mets are not interested in oswalt, from Buster Olney to Mike Francesa… but, if Mets could trade better prospects and, say, Oliver Perez, to get oswalt, i wonder if they’d reconsider… i mean, at that point, oswalt would be adding only around $4 million per season to the payroll… but, that option year is a killer… and, who knows what type of prospects houston has in mind…
    per metsblog...

I know Santana, Pelfrey, and Krod are prob the 3 best pitchers on the team, and i know its more than likely santana will turn it around, and that it is highly unlikely that both Dickey and Takahashi keep this up (maybe one but highly doubt 2), But for the last couple weeks or so (during this hot streak) Santana has basically been the weakest link, I just think its the wrong thing to say. Especially at this point with what has transpired over the past couple of weeks, or maybe im crazy I dunno

And for the record, id be more intrested in bullpen help than anything else right now

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The biggest problem right now is like you said. "Santana is our weekest link"

He's not pitching like an ace. He doesn't stop losing streaks or continue winning ones. We'd be up 3-4 games right now if he domianted like a 20 million dollar man should.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    The biggest problem right now is like you said. "Santana is our weekest link"

He's not pitching like an ace. He doesn't stop losing streaks or continue winning ones. We'd be up 3-4 games right now if he domianted like a 20 million dollar man should.
    You have to cut Johan a little slack. He had a stretch where every game he was going 6 or 7 with 1 or no earned runs and we lost pretty much every one of those games. He has only a few games this year where he got into a funk and they all have been on big stages so it seems like he was having a bad year when in reality he has still been stellar just not god like. Santana also used to be seen as a second half pitcher so hopefully he pitches well when the games really matter.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    If I owned the Mets Id want Santana and Rodriguez to shut up or offer to take a pay cut to land another jumbo contract. They should not be spending my money, since I do not spend theirs. Also, their off-the-cuff remarks may inflate the Mariners/Astros bargaining position which does not help the NY Mets baseball club at all.

That being said I think getting Lee is a worth the gamble.

You guys make it out that Santana is a bum.

Santana had arm surgery last off season. He has a 3.31 era and the team has given him little run support this season.

We'll trade you AJ Burnett for Santana, whaddya say?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    If I owned the Mets Id want Santana and Rodriguez to shut up or offer to take a pay cut to land another jumbo contract. They should not be spending my money, since I do not spend theirs. Also, their off-the-cuff remarks may inflate the Mariners/Astros bargaining position which does not help the NY Mets baseball club at all.

That being said I think getting Lee is a worth the gamble.

You guys make it out that Santana is a bum.

Santana had arm surgery last off season. He has a 3.31 era and the team has given him little run support this season.
    no one said he's a bum Buster, everyone here acknowledges he is a solid number 2-3, and people aren't willing to accept him being that. Also it would help if you put a Johan player reference..

Not really, if you read the article, everybody was very complementary of their teammates, it's not like they threw them under the bus, and if you ask anybody if they'd want a Cliff Lee on their team, I'm sure they'd say the same thing.

It's just pretty obvious that a Cliff Lee is way better then an R.A. Dickey or a Hisanori Takahashi, despite their current successes. And who wouldn't want to get better?

And LOL at the Santana hate. He'll be fine.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 06-22-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by el_dub80 View Post
    We'll trade you AJ Burnett for Santana, whaddya say?
    Any takers?