Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowery to move to safety?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowery to move to safety?

[QUOTE]Florham Park, NJ – The lowdown on Dwight Lowery from mini-camp is simple – the guy is making plays all over the field.

Lost amid the Darrelle Revis contract talk and the new additions to the secondary such as former San Diego cornerback Antonio Cromartie and first round pick Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery enjoyed a solid mini-camp for the Jets. Making plays, getting in the thick of things and reading plays well, Lowery looks to be quietly emerging as a player to watch for this fall. And it all began with a position switch.

Lowery hot his start in the league as a cornerback but no more, says the player.

“The coaching staff feels like I can have more of an impact as a safety,” Lowery told GreenAndWhiteReport.com. “They feel I can get on the field more and make plays from there.”

Judging from mini-camp, Lowery might become a part of the nickel safety package, where his speed would be an asset to the secondary. Lowery is a good cover player and putting him at safety is an intriguing idea on passing downs. He said that he is comfortable playing further back, off the line. In college at San Jose State, he had to fill-in as a safety for a handful games. The transition has been smooth, so far, he says.

“The most success I’m going to have is to be in the center of the field,” Lowery said. “The coaching staff thinks that is where I can use my instincts the best.”

One thing Lowery has an instinct for is being a good quote, as the player has that swagger of someone who backs up exactly what he says on the field. It’s a personality trait that lets him fit in well with head coach Rex Ryan, who is also known for his comments and personality.

“When you’re confident, there’s that cockiness you get from knowing you can go out there and perform,” Lowery said about the defense’s swagger. “But it’s a fine line between being cocky and over-confident.”

Lowery says the team feeds off the confidence of each other and Rex Ryan. He really likes what he sees in the defense and says that the unit enjoys working together and putting in the extra time lifting and studying tape. The defense, he said, can carry this team far.

“We know we got the goons on the team to get this thing done,” Lowery said.

Kristian R. Dyer can be reached for questions, comments and crude remarks at [email]KristianRDyer@yahoo.com[/email] and followed at twitter.com/kdyer1012 [/QUOTE]

Thoughts? Many people here were advocating this move.. let's see what happens

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Posters here have been mentioning for a long time that his skill set would be better suited for safety, glad to see it might finally happen.

[QUOTE]Judging from mini-camp, Lowery might become a part of the nickel safety package, where his speed would be an asset to the secondary. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, it's actually his [U]lack[/U] of speed that limits his ability to play corner, at least in man-coverage. He's just not very fast. He is good at making plays on the ball, that's probably his best quality.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear that they finally made the switch. I was tired of seeing Lowery getting torched outside but I think he can be a ball hawk at safety.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's about time.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    good move and with all the depth at corner the timing makes sense

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a good move, I unintentionally think of Lowery as a Safety as is anyway, now I will be right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    what took the jets so long.to determine that lowery was best suited at the safety position.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This tells me more about how the jets feel about Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman, and Donovan Warren than it does about Lowery. Lowery always had better skills as a S than a CB - but we never had the CB depth to allow him to make that move. Now we do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3632149]This tells me more about how the jets feel about Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman, and Donovan Warren than it does about Lowery. Lowery always had better skills as a S than a CB - but we never had the CB depth to allow him to make that move. Now we do.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then I hope it's Cole specifically that has encouraged the depth at CB. Warren is (or at least was) getting work at safety in the first rookie camp, and Coleman is just toast. Yeah, every team needs a #5 CB, but if Coleman sees the field the only chance of an incompletion on a ball thrown his way is a poor throw or a defensive penalty.

Maybe they moved Warren back to CB?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;3632168]If that's the case, then I hope it's Cole specifically that has encouraged the depth at CB. Warren is (or at least was) getting work at safety in the first rookie camp, and Coleman is just toast. Yeah, every team needs a #5 CB, but if Coleman sees the field the only chance of an incompletion on a ball thrown his way is a poor throw or a defensive penalty.

[B]Maybe they moved Warren back to CB?[/[/B]QUOTE]

Both Donovin Warren and Brian Jackson at CB would help alot.

Jet CB's and Safetys

Revis
    Cromartie
    Wilson
    Warren
    Jackson
    Smith
    Ihedigbo
    Leonhard
    Pool

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3631979]Posters here have been mentioning for a long time that his skill set would be better suited for safety, glad to see it might finally happen.

Hmm, it's actually his [U]lack[/U] of speed that limits his ability to play corner, at least in man-coverage. He's just not very fast. He is good at making plays on the ball, that's probably his best quality.[/QUOTE]

He would be fast compared to other safeties though, I think its more about that he isn't very fluid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay, another Safety who can't tackle. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This move was overdue. Given his playmaking ability as ballhawk in college, this seems to be fit Lowery should have been coached into from the start

and i agree with the others, the first thing i thought to be myself was D. Warren is moving into the #4-5 CB spot. I love that man.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like it..lowery learning more positions and in turn becoming more versatile is good move. he has talent, but he's more of an off-the-bench kinda guy but that shouldn't undermine his value to this team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3632265]Yay, another Safety who can't tackle. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

huh lowery is an excellent tackler

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;3632269]This move was overdue. Given his playmaking ability as ballhawk in college, this seems to be fit Lowery should have been coached into from the start

and i agree with the others, the first thing i thought to be myself was D. Warren is moving into the #4-5 CB spot. I love that man.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, in college at san jose state, lowery was one of the nation's leaders in INTs...imo he should have been put at safety from the start instead of at cornerback...he's a natural safety

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;3632254]He would be fast compared to other safeties though, I think its more about that he isn't very fluid.[/QUOTE]

Given that limitation his natural position would always be safety, with above average cover skills - the guys a ballhawk. Nothwithstanding Revis, the Jets Cb depth has been worrisome for as long as I can remember (recent years anyway). The injuries/under performance of Lito and the other guy we picked up last year in key games kept Lowery upfront in the Cb rotation. Obviously with the 2 offseason pickups (Cro, Wilson) he can focus on his niche area where he offers most value/impact and isn't a liability.

The return of Jenks and addition of Taylor, and the subsequent pressure on the qb should provide more opportunities for him to showcase his ballhawking predatory skills

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lowery should be a safety. That was part of the thinking for why our FO drafted Wilson in the first place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very happy about this. I had been hoping for this ever since KR was traded.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3632149]This tells me more about how the jets feel about Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman, and Donovan Warren than it does about Lowery. Lowery always had better skills as a S than a CB - but we never had the CB depth to allow him to make that move. Now we do.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is the Jets have been working Donovan Warren as a safety as well - unless they switched him back to CB after moving Lowery to safety, I don't know.

I do agree with you though that moving Lowery shows that the coaching staff has confidence in Wilson, Cole & Coleman.

In my opinion this could be a good year for Marquice Cole, a guy that does not get talked about very much but has the all the tools to be a very good CB including speed to burn.