Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com's top 5 secondaries

NFL.com's top 5 secondaries

I guess getting turnovers are more important than actually defending the pass in Pat Kirwin's mind.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818c4908&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url]

" 1. Packers -- They have three excellent corners in Woodson, Williams and Harris. They had outstanding production from their safeties last year and added one in the draft. They got 24 interceptions from their starters last year, despite ranking only 11th in sacks.

2. Jets -- They might have been No. 1 if they had kept Rhodes. They are great at corner with Revis and Cromartie, and in the nickel with Lowery or rookie Wilson. They will be a top dime defense. They had the fewest sacks of the five teams that made this list with 31, but they were tops in completion percentage defense and yards per pass attempt allowed.

3. Saints -- Depth makes their secondary very attractive. They score fast on offense and most teams are playing catch-up against them, so nickel and dime defenses are critical. Tracey Porter, Jabari Greer, rookie Patrick Robinson, and Jenkins make their corner depth excellent. Sharper is joined by Roman Harper and Usama Young at safety. The Saints saw 73 more passes than the Jets did in 2009 and 34 more than the Packers, which affected the stats.

4. Bengals -- A terrific pair of starting corners (Hall and Joseph), a solid corner pickup in the draft (Ghee), and underrated safeties Chris Crocker and Chinedum Ndukwe make up a solid secondary. Roy Williams has a place in the secondary, but they may be better off without him. The Bengals generated only 34 sacks last year and that number should improve this season, thus helping the secondary.

5. Bills -- I can't believe they let defensive coordinator Perry Fewell go this offseason. They had the second-ranked pass defense, nabbed 28 interceptions, which was second to Green Bay's 30, and only allowed 14 touchdown passes."

All League
    What a ****ing moron.

[QUOTE=MagroCrag;3633002]I guess getting turnovers are more important than actually defending the pass in Pat Kirwin's mind.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818c4908&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url]

" 1. Packers -- They have three excellent corners in Woodson, Williams and Harris. They had outstanding production from their safeties last year and added one in the draft. They got 24 interceptions from their starters last year, despite ranking only 11th in sacks.

2. Jets -- They might have been No. 1 if they had kept Rhodes. They are great at corner with Revis and Cromartie, and in the nickel with Lowery or rookie Wilson. They will be a top dime defense. They had the fewest sacks of the five teams that made this list with 31, but they were tops in completion percentage defense and yards per pass attempt allowed.

3. Saints -- Depth makes their secondary very attractive. They score fast on offense and most teams are playing catch-up against them, so nickel and dime defenses are critical. Tracey Porter, Jabari Greer, rookie Patrick Robinson, and Jenkins make their corner depth excellent. Sharper is joined by Roman Harper and Usama Young at safety. The Saints saw 73 more passes than the Jets did in 2009 and 34 more than the Packers, which affected the stats.

4. Bengals -- A terrific pair of starting corners (Hall and Joseph), a solid corner pickup in the draft (Ghee), and underrated safeties Chris Crocker and Chinedum Ndukwe make up a solid secondary. Roy Williams has a place in the secondary, but they may be better off without him. The Bengals generated only 34 sacks last year and that number should improve this season, thus helping the secondary.

5. Bills -- I can't believe they let defensive coordinator Perry Fewell go this offseason. They had the second-ranked pass defense, nabbed 28 interceptions, which was second to Green Bay's 30, and only allowed 14 touchdown passes."[/QUOTE]

How can you say "they had the fewest sacks of the five teams that made this list with 31, but they were tops in completion percentage defense and yards per pass attempt allowed" and not have them as number 1? :nutbar:

Apparently, letting teams throw for 500 yards on you is okay in his mind.

That excellent corner Al Harris? You mean the 35 yr old coming off of reconstructive knee surgery? They have us at safety with Nick Collins though

[QUOTE=MagroCrag;3633002]

2. Jets -- They might have been No. 1 if they had kept Rhodes. "[/QUOTE]

this guy has no idea

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE]As for which teams have a lockdown corner, that rare player who can eliminate the opposition's go-to receiver, there just aren't many available. The Packers' Woodson, the Jets' Darrelle Revis and maybe still the Broncos' Champ Bailey fit the bill.[/QUOTE]

Woodson's not a lockdown corner. And neither is Bailey any more. Woodson makes a ton of big plays, that's why he's an excellent corner, his coverage skills are not close to the same level as Revis though.

The only lockdown corners in the league are Revis and Asomugha.

Veteran
    I would have to agree when it comes to the turnovers rather then yards. I think the jets should be 1st but I would definitely take turnovers over yards given up.

If you win the turnover battle you are most likely going to win the game, simple as that.

Overall the Jets are better and I would take them every time. I doubt the pack will reproduce the turnovers they had last year. That tends to be a one year fluke thing.

Veteran
    agenda's agenda's lol, this list is laughable. The Jets are far and away the best now with Pool, Cro and Wilson. Lowery starts on at least 12 teams in the league right now and he is the dime back....thats insane.

[QUOTE=brex;3633026]How can you say "they had the fewest sacks of the five teams that made this list with 31, but they were tops in completion percentage defense and yards per pass attempt allowed" and not have them as number 1? :nutbar:[/QUOTE]

Maybe he means we didn't get any coverage sacks.

All Pro
    While there are certainly very valid arguments for ranking us as the #1 secondary, are people really complaining about being ranked #2? :eek:

Statistically, we were an elite pass defense last year, but how many times did we see opposing teams move the ball at will late in the 4th quarter when it mattered most? Also, the secondary was our consensus weak link in getting us to the Superbowl last year. Yes, we made a few nice additions in the offseason, but let's see how things pan out this year before we start throwing fits about being ranked #2.

I'd love to hear him defend this POS article.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=parafly;3633162]While there are certainly very valid arguments for ranking us as the #1 secondary, are people really complaining about being ranked #2? :eek:

Statistically, we were an elite pass defense last year, but how many times did we see opposing teams move the ball at will late in the 4th quarter when it mattered most? Also, the secondary was our consensus weak link in getting us to the Superbowl last year. Yes, we made a few nice additions in the offseason, but let's see how things pan out this year before we start throwing fits about being ranked #2.[/QUOTE]

agreed....nothing wrong with being ranked #2 secondary. Our defense may have been statistically the best in the league, but for part of they year it was a quasi-paper tiger. It wasn't as if the Jets defense dominated every time it went out on the field. Besides Revis, there are still some unknowns on our defense, including our secondary. While most everyone is excited about Cro, he is certainly a question mark. Ditto with Wilson as he's just a rookie.

The top 4 teams all have excellent secondaries.

It IS pretty funny being upset about being ranked number 2. Our secondary was torched by Peyton Manning in the second half of the AFCCG :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=el_dub80;3633249]It IS pretty funny being upset about being ranked number 2. Our secondary was torched by Peyton Manning in the second half of the AFCCG :eek:[/QUOTE]

And the Saints secondary got a pick 6 on Manning that sealed the bowl win..:yes:

I'm outraged.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2;3633263]I'm outraged.[/QUOTE]

That's better then being outhoused..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3633041]Woodson's not a lockdown corner. And neither is Bailey any more. Woodson makes a ton of big plays, that's why he's an excellent corner, his coverage skills are not close to the same level as Revis though.

The only lockdown corners in the league are Revis and Asomugha.[/QUOTE]

Bailey will still go on a stretch.

1) Revis

2) Asomougha
    3) Bailey

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3633249]It IS pretty funny being upset about being ranked number 2. Our secondary was torched by Peyton Manning in the second half of the AFCCG :eek:[/QUOTE]

whose secondary would you rather have?

[QUOTE=sect313;3633038]this guy has no idea[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is typical. Rhodes is a "name." This clown doesn't care that Rhodes attitude and egocentrism messed up the scheme. He just sees the departure of a "name" as a certain negative.

Fine. I like the Jets to be slighted, but more often than not they're slighted due to ignorance and not a well-founded thought out opinion.