Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Bulger deal impact the Jets? -Cimini

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Bulger deal impact the Jets? -Cimini

Could the Bulger deal impact the Jets' plans?
    June, 24, 2010 Jun 2410:52AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiIt will be interesting to see if the Baltimore Ravens' acquisition of backup QB Marc Bulger for the outlandish amount of $3.8 million on a one-year contract will have a trickle-down effect on the Jets.

From all indications, the Jets are planning to sign backup QB Mark Brunell on or after July 24, when the "Final Eight" restrictions are lifted. Neither Brunell nor Bulger is close to what he used to be, but will Bulger's stunning deal drive up Brunell's asking price? Many figured Brunell would sign for the minimum ($860,000 for a player with his experience), but now you have to wonder. This premise, of course, is based on the assumption that Brunell doesn't already have a handshake deal in place with the Jets.

The Jets, as you know, haven't been throwing around much cash this offseason. Here's another question: What if the Ravens decide to part ways with backup Troy Smith, who could be the odd-man out in their quarterback mix? Rex Ryan knows Smith from his days as a Ravens assistant. Would the Jets be interested? I doubt it. They have young quarterbacks; what they need is a seasoned veteran.

Bulger would've been a better choice than Brunell because he has more football left than the almost-40 journeyman, but there's no way the Jets were going to play $3.8 million. Like the Jets, the Ravens are in a Super Bowl-or-bust mode, except they're willing to pay a premium for quarterback insurance. The Jets, apparently, are not.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3633072]Could the Bulger deal impact the Jets' plans?
    June, 24, 2010 Jun 2410:52AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiIt will be interesting to see if the Baltimore Ravens' acquisition of backup QB Marc Bulger for the outlandish amount of $3.8 million on a one-year contract will have a trickle-down effect on the Jets.

From all indications, the Jets are planning to sign backup QB Mark Brunell on or after July 24, when the "Final Eight" restrictions are lifted. Neither Brunell nor Bulger is close to what he used to be, but will Bulger's stunning deal drive up Brunell's asking price? Many figured Brunell would sign for the minimum ($860,000 for a player with his experience), but now you have to wonder. This premise, of course, is based on the assumption that Brunell doesn't already have a handshake deal in place with the Jets.

The Jets, as you know, haven't been throwing around much cash this offseason. Here's another question: What if the Ravens decide to part ways with backup Troy Smith, who could be the odd-man out in their quarterback mix? Rex Ryan knows Smith from his days as a Ravens assistant. Would the Jets be interested? I doubt it. They have young quarterbacks; what they need is a seasoned veteran.

Bulger would've been a better choice than Brunell because he has more football left than the almost-40 journeyman, but there's no way the Jets were going to play $3.8 million. Like the Jets, the Ravens are in a Super Bowl-or-bust mode, except they're willing to pay a premium for quarterback insurance. The Jets, apparently, are not.[/QUOTE]

Will it rain today? I'm not sure. It thundered, but nothing happened.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3633072]Could the Bulger deal impact the Jets' plans?

Bulger would've been a better choice than Brunell because he has more football left than the almost-40 journeyman, but there's no way the Jets were going to play $3.8 million. [B]Like the Jets, the Ravens are in a Super Bowl-or-bust mode, except they're willing to pay a premium for quarterback insurance. The Jets, apparently, are not[/B].[/QUOTE]

Typical negative Cimini. What a dick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's tough but fair. the jets ain't willing to pay for jack crap these days.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3633084]it's tough but fair. the jets ain't willing to pay for jack crap these days.[/QUOTE]

They don't owe anyone a dollar this year and are approaching the situation as such, they will certainly make good with Revis though, come on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]the Baltimore Ravens' acquisition of backup QB Marc Bulger for the outlandish amount of $3.8 million on a one-year contract[/QUOTE]

:confused: Holy crap, wtf is Baltimore thinking? Bulger is horrendous and no backup is worth that much anyways.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3633091]:confused: [B]Holy crap, wtf is Baltimore thinking[/B]? Bulger is horrendous and no backup is worth that much anyways.[/QUOTE]

Are they concerned about Joe Flacco?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3633100]Are they concerned about Joe Flacco?[/QUOTE]

Questions like those should only be posed when referring to the Jets. Jets criticized for letting Jones walk and picking up LDT. Chiefs are not criticized for bringing in an over the hill back. Chargers are not criticized for having no real option for an every down back. Such is life.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take Bulger over Brunnell but not at that $$

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    brunnel is over 40 and has not started in the league for a long time. bulger was a good QB very recently. brunnel has no shot at that type of money

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3633084]it's tough but fair. the jets ain't willing to pay for jack crap these days.[/QUOTE]

But Baltimore just over-paid for it ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;3633127]brunnel is over 40 and has not started in the league for a long time. bulger was a good QB very recently. brunnel has no shot at that type of money[/QUOTE]

Sure...if you define 2006 as "very recently."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost $4 million for a one year backup QB is absurd. I'd like to see the details of this contract, but I think it's safe to assume it's littered with playing time incentives which he will not hit unless Flacco goes down with serious injury.

If Brunnel commands anywhere close to this type of money, I say pass. Honestly, I'd rather go with a backup who knows the system anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;3633127]brunnel is over 40 and has not started in the league for a long time. [B]bulger was a good QB very recently[/B]. brunnel has no shot at that type of money[/QUOTE]

If by "recent" you mean 5 years ago, then yeah Bulger was good recently.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this writer is soooooooooooooooo clueless. How can someone pay him to write this crap. Bulger was a starter in this league last year.

Brunell hasnt started in 4 years. and he is 6 years older then Bulger.

This writer should be embarrassed and his employer should be embarrassed for employing him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know why Cimini thinks its absurd that Bulger gets 3.8 million as a backup. Its a one year insurance policy for a player who was a starter in the NFL just last year. Here were some of the backup totals last season:

Culpepper: 5M
    McCown: 5M
    Orlovsky 4M
    Kitna 4M
    Simms 3.5M
    Fitzpatrick 3M
    Carr 2.1M

Not that most of those deals averaged 3.8 a year, but that is what teams pay for players as a backup if they are considered to have any upside. As for Brunell he is far removed from his prime that I cant see how this deal has any special effect on his contract demands. Last year he made 1.5M and about 2M the year before. So its not like Bulger set some new market for backup QBs. Im not sure if the Jets can get Brunell for the minimum (I guess it depends on if there is any interest anywhere in the NFL for him) but he will probably come in lower than 1.5M.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3633222]I dont know why Cimini thinks its absurd that Bulger gets 3.8 million as a backup. Its a one year insurance policy for a player who was a starter in the NFL just last year. Here were some of the backup totals last season:

Culpepper: 5M
    McCown: 5M
    Orlovsky 4M
    Kitna 4M
    Simms 3.5M
    Fitzpatrick 3M
    Carr 2.1M

Not that most of those deals averaged 3.8 a year, but that is what teams pay for players as a backup if they are considered to have any upside. As for Brunell he is far removed from his prime that I cant see how this deal has any special effect on his contract demands. Last year he made 1.5M and about 2M the year before. So its not like Bulger set some new market for backup QBs. Im not sure if the Jets can get Brunell for the minimum (I guess it depends on if there is any interest anywhere in the NFL for him) but he will probably come in lower than 1.5M.[/QUOTE]

Wow - Dan Orlovsky made $4 million last year? That's insane. If he can just hang around a few more years, he'll retire without the need to work another day in his life and he'll have his health completely intact (thats what happens when you run out of the endzone).

If you had to pick a position, backup QB is truly the way to go. Sets you up nicely for a coaching career as well, if that's what you're looking to do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3633225]Wow - Dan Orlovsky made $4 million last year? That's insane. If he can just hang around a few more years, he'll retire without the need to work another day in his life and he'll have his health completely intact ([B]thats what happens when you run out of the endzone). [/B]

If you had to pick a position, backup QB is truly the way to go. Sets you up nicely for a coaching career as well, if that's what you're looking to do.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why, but one of my favorite lowlights ever. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3633225]Wow - Dan Orlovsky made $4 million last year? That's insane. If he can just hang around a few more years, he'll retire without the need to work another day in his life and he'll have his health completely intact (thats what happens when you run out of the endzone).

If you had to pick a position, backup QB is truly the way to go. Sets you up nicely for a coaching career as well, if that's what you're looking to do.[/QUOTE]

I could find a way to not work another day in my life off of that 4 million.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typical Cimini crap - No inside info, no insight, pure speculation

Exactly why the Daily News fired him for Mehta