Thread: Esiason Likes Direction Sanchez Is Heading

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Esiason Likes Direction Sanchez Is Heading

[URL]http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1664-esiason-likes-direction-sanchez-is-heading[/URL]

[B][SIZE=3]Esiason Likes Direction Sanchez Is Heading[/SIZE][/B]
    [B][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/B]
    [B][SIZE=2]By Eric Allen[/SIZE][/B]
    Published: [I]Thu, June 24, 2010 - 11:01am ET[/I]

As a rookie, Mark Sanchez helped lead the New York Jets to an improbable AFC Championship appearance, elevating his game in the postseason. And former Jets signalcaller Boomer Esiason believes that rise is set to continue in September.

This is usually where the players make their biggest jump and I suspect, with Marks personality and the way he handled the downturns last year, hell be ready to roll, Boom told me this week before the 15th annual Empire Challenge kicked off at Hofstras Shuart Stadium. I sense an air of confidence about him this offseason. Everything Ive read and every interview Ive seen him do leads me to believe hes ready to take that next step.

In 15 regular-season games, Sanchez completed 53.8 percent of his passes with 12 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. But in three postseason contests he upped his accuracy, hitting on 60.3 percent of his balls with four touchdowns and two picks.

Now what that next step will be will be determined by how comfortable he gets with his new wide receivers, how good he feels with his young running back and really how the offensive line plays, Esiason said. I think he really should be able to lead the Jets back to the playoffs and who knows, maybe even the Super Bowl.

Jets Nation is at a fever pitch. Excitement has reached an unprecedented level because New Yorks AFC representative has assembled one of its most talented rosters in franchise history.

Esiason, who played three of his 14 NFL seasons with the Green & White, said that if he were a fan, "Im excited about Rex Ryan and I love the fact that he brings a new intensity to the football team. I love the fact that you have the best defense in football. I think its only going to get better. I love their draft picks. There is a lot to be excited about.

"I dont necessarily know if Jets fans have been this excited since 1999 when Bill Parcells was ready to take them all the way to the AFC Championship Game. This is going to be a fun year for the Jets. But I also know, like every other team, there are issues that have to be handled before the season starts.

Esiason, who serves as the popular co-host on a morning radio show on WFAN in New York, doesnt point to problems on the field. He believes the Jets have made a couple of risky offseason moves and there is also all the well-publicized news on the contract front.

I think they did a lot of good things in the offseason. They were very careful how they spent their money, brining in Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes. Even though those guys have character issues, I think Mike Tannenbaum sensed he could get really good players for a cheap price," Boomer said.

"But he still has problems in that locker room. I dont care what anybody says. When you let go of guys like Alan Faneca and Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, people are starting to worry in that locker room, Whats going to happen to me next? And now you have guys that are chirping about new contracts and you have a potential CBA issue coming up. There are things you have to get over with and Im not so sure those things are positive at this present time.

But Esiason is nothing but positive on Sanchez. What kind of advice would he give the SoCal sensation before he starts up his sophomore campaign?

I think, with the exception of maybe a few blips along the way, that he handled everything beautifully, and I would expect the maturity hes still only 23 years old will be distinctly evident from where he was last year at this time, Boomer said. Let the game come to you, dont force the issue. You have a lot of good players around you, you have a great coach and you have a great supporting cast. So hell be fine.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK...I'll take it coming from him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice article and post

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3633298]

I think they did a lot of good things in the offseason. They were very careful how they spent their money, brining in Antonio Cromartie and Santonio Holmes. Even though those guys have character issues, I think Mike Tannenbaum sensed he could get really good players for a cheap price," Boomer said.

"But he still has problems in that locker room. I dont care what anybody says. When you let go of guys like Alan Faneca and Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, people are starting to worry in that locker room, Whats going to happen to me next? And now you have guys that are chirping about new contracts and you have a potential CBA issue coming up. There are things you have to get over with and Im not so sure those things are positive at this present time. [/QUOTE]

Gotta love Boomer. By chirping I wonder if he means tweeting? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3633298][ I dont care what anybody says. When you let go of guys like Alan Faneca and Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, people are starting to worry in that locker room, Whats going to happen to me next? And now you have guys that are chirping about new contracts and you have a potential CBA issue coming up. There are things you have to get over with and Im not so sure those things are positive at this present time.

[/QUOTE]
    One thing I like about Boomer..is he is no homer Jet fan.

Played for them, yeah, but he doesnt pull punches.

He's clearly no shill.

I agree with his take on things.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always liked Boomer, and I agree with his take on things :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, Boomer tells it like it is. Was a good read, thanks for posting it

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff. Gotta love Boomer, one of the most unbiased and straight-forward analysts out there. I agree with everything he says here.

I don't think "chemistry" will be a problem, but you can tell that jettisoning Leon, Faneca, and TJ has the other Jet vets thinking about their security. These guys aren't robots and this stuff doesn't occur in a vacuum. If the layoffs started coming at work, a few well-respected guys got let go, and I believed (and was told by management) I was a valuable member to the team as well, I'd want to see my employer to show their commitment to me to calm my nerves too. Throw in the fact that in the NFL these guys risk losing their careers on any given snap, have contracts that aren't guaranteed, and there's millions of dollars at stake. There's going to be a little unrest. But in the end, I have confidence Mike T will manage to get it done. The guy may not be the smartest football guy out there (from a technical aspect), but the guy knows the NFL numbers game as well as anyone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jvill 51;3633435]
    I don't think "chemistry" will be a problem, [B]but you can tell that jettisoning Leon, Faneca, and TJ has the other Jet vets thinking about their security[/B]. [/QUOTE]

This is probably the most influential factor for the Jets who are seeking new deals.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE] hes still only 23 years old [/QUOTE]

... what were/are you doing at 23 ??? ...

... i was still challenging my buddies to keg stands and trying to get me some nice "accidental" elbow tit ...

... L-O-V-E this kid ... full homo ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3633482]... what were/are you doing at 23 ??? ...

... i was still challenging my buddies to keg stands and trying to get me some nice "accidental" elbow tit ...

... L-O-V-E this kid ... full homo ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

OK. That post just made me crack up.... :applause:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3633298][URL]http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1664-esiason-likes-direction-sanchez-is-heading[/URL]

[B][SIZE=3]Esiason Likes Direction Sanchez Is Heading[/SIZE][/B]
    [B][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/B]
    [B][SIZE=2]By Eric Allen[/SIZE][/B]
    Published: [I]Thu, June 24, 2010 - 11:01am ET[/I]

As a rookie, Mark Sanchez helped lead the New York Jets to an improbable AFC Championship appearance, elevating his game in the postseason. And former Jets signalcaller Boomer Esiason believes that rise is set to continue in September.

This is usually where the players make their biggest jump and I suspect, with Marks personality and the way he handled the downturns last year, hell be ready to roll, Boom told me this week before the 15th annual Empire Challenge kicked off at Hofstras Shuart Stadium. I sense an air of confidence about him this offseason. Everything Ive read and every interview Ive seen him do leads me to believe hes ready to take that next step.

In 15 regular-season games, Sanchez completed 53.8 percent of his passes with 12 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. But in three postseason contests he upped his accuracy, hitting on 60.3 percent of his balls with four touchdowns and two picks.

Now what that next step will be will be determined by how comfortable he gets with his new wide receivers, how good he feels with his young running back and really how the offensive line plays, Esiason said. I think he really should be able to lead the Jets back to the playoffs and who knows, maybe even the Super Bowl.

Jets Nation is at a fever pitch. Excitement has reached an unprecedented level because New Yorks AFC representative has assembled one of its most talented rosters in franchise history.

Esiason, who played three of his 14 NFL seasons with the Green & White, said that if he were a fan, "Im excited about Rex Ryan and I love the fact that he brings a new intensity to the football team. I love the fact that you have the best defense in football. I think its only going to get better. I love their draft picks. There is a lot to be excited about.

"I dont necessarily know if Jets fans have been this excited since 1999 when Bill Parcells was ready to take them all the way to the AFC Championship Game. This is going to be a fun year for the Jets. But I also know, like every other team, there are issues that have to be handled before the season starts.

Esiason, who serves as the popular co-host on a morning radio show on WFAN in New York, doesnt point to problems on the field. He believes the Jets have made a couple of risky offseason moves and there is also all the well-publicized news on the contract front.

"But he still has problems in that locker room. I dont care what anybody says. When you let go of guys like Alan Faneca and Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, people are starting to worry in that locker room, Whats going to happen to me next? And now you have guys that are chirping about new contracts and you have a potential CBA issue coming up. There are things you have to get over with and Im not so sure those things are positive at this present time.

But Esiason is nothing but positive on Sanchez. What kind of advice would he give the SoCal sensation before he starts up his sophomore campaign?

I think, with the exception of maybe a few blips along the way, that he handled everything beautifully, and I would expect the maturity hes still only 23 years old will be distinctly evident from where he was last year at this time, Boomer said. Let the game come to you, dont force the issue. You have a lot of good players around you, you have a great coach and you have a great supporting cast. So hell be fine.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Boomer. Do you remember Sanchez on the sidelines last year chewing his fingernails, wide eyed nervous. Every interview I've seen about #6 or read, points to a more confident Sanchez. Nothing like experience, one year under his belt! He'll be ready, and so will THE FAMOUS JETS. The Jets are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfrantik;3633591]I agree with Boomer. Do you remember Sanchez on the sidelines last year chewing his fingernails, wide eyed nervous. Every interview I've seen about #6 or read, points to a more confident Sanchez. Nothing like experience, one year under his belt! He'll be ready, and so will THE FAMOUS JETS. The Jets are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

That kid coming out as a rookie and starting and beating the Patriots and the beautiful scramble he made to hit Keller in the back of the endzone (out of bounds unfortunately) was one of my greatest Jets moments ever, on such a gorgeous day too, it was like Christ opened up the clouds and gave us another chance like Lazarus, I really felt like it was a new era in our team and my stepmother, a Giants fan, actually wept. It was pretty crazy. I just got goosebumps.
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 06-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3633607]That kid coming out as a rookie and starting and beating the Patriots and the beautiful scramble he made to hit Keller in the back of the endzone (out of bounds unfortunately) was one of my greatest Jets moments ever, on such a gorgeous day too, it was like Christ opened up the clouds and gave us another chance like Lazarus, I really felt like it was a new era in our team and my stepmother, a Giants fan, actually wept. It was pretty crazy. I just got goosebumps.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Kind of funny about stepmom. Love the PASSION.