Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene health Question

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Shonn Greene health Question

How many people on these boards, think Shonn Greene will last the whole season? He even had trouble last year staying healthy through training camp last year. And with some reports of him being a little over weight, I can't help but think that shouldn't help his game shape.

Now I am no mean a supporter of "we should have kept Thomas Jones" club. However in the event that Shonn Greene does go down, for a few games, does anyone think Joe Mcknight becomes the number 1? and LT continues to be a 3rd down back and Red Zone back?

Or does everything think that LT becomes the everydown back?

I feel that LT was brought in as the change of pace guy, with or without Shonn Greene healthy. Anyone have any opinions?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't sleep on Chauncey Washington, I'm looking forward to seeing him in the preseason. He could be an option if one of the RBs gets hurt. I'm thinking they'll split carries though between all the RBs trying to keep them fresh...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Run Jets Run;3633546]How many people on these boards, think Shonn Greene will last the whole season? He even had trouble last year staying healthy through training camp last year. And with some reports of him being a little over weight, I can't help but think that shouldn't help his game shape.

Now I am no mean a supporter of "we should have kept Thomas Jones" club. However in the event that Shonn Greene does go down, for a few games, does anyone think Joe Mcknight becomes the number 1? and LT continues to be a 3rd down back and Red Zone back?

I feel that LT was brought in as the change of pace guy, with or without Shonn Greene healthy. Anyone have any opinions?[/QUOTE]

If Greene goes down then LT becomes the everydown back.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3633554]If Greene goes down then LT becomes the everydown back.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that makes me kind of worry about this, is that LT has been pretty injury prone too as of late. Which is why i think the Jets will stray away from giving him over a "given" amount of carries per game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Run Jets Run;3633558]The only thing that makes me kind of worry about this, is that LT has been pretty injury prone too as of late. Which is why i think the Jets will stray away from giving him over a "given" amount of carries per game.[/QUOTE]

Your point is well taken and I think what you say will hold true while Greene remains healthy. However, if Greene were to get hurt, then all bets are off and the Jets will have to do what they see fit- even if that means risking injury to another player. Every play is a risk for every player on the field and the last thing I want is to see the coaches too scared to play their best players. That would be a recipe for disaster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reports of Greene being overweight?

Where?

He looked to be in outstanding shape in any OTA or minicamp pic you see him in, and watching him live in that last mini-camp practice, he looked outstanding.

:dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3633603]Reports of Greene being overweight?

Where?

He looked to be in outstanding shape in any OTA or minicamp pic you see him in, and watching him live in that last mini-camp practice, he looked outstanding.

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

I heard a report that Greene was slightly overweight - 7LBS, I believe.. think it was on Jet Nation... regardless, not a big deal.

As for the Jets RB situation, the Jets coaching staff has already said in an ideal world that LT and Greene will be splitting carries. I only see this really happening if they both are equally as productive (which I don't think will be the case- Greene is poised to have a breakout year). But, if LT looks good, he obviously would get the nod. With McKnight and as another said, Washington possibly on the roster, I'm not worried about our RB depth- especially when considering the dominance of our OL run blocking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Its true, he showed up overweight. Attributed to his injury recovery is what they said.

Ya i really have my doubts he'll be healthy all year if asked to do too much.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3633610]I heard a report that Greene was slightly overweight - 7LBS, I believe.. think it was on Jet Nation... regardless, not a big deal.

As for the Jets RB situation, the Jets coaching staff has already said in an ideal world that LT and Greene will be splitting carries. I only see this really happening if they both are equally as productive (which I don't think will be the case- Greene is poised to have a breakout year). But, if LT looks good, he obviously would get the nod. With McKnight and as another said, Washington possibly on the roster, I'm not worried about our RB depth- especially when considering the dominance of our OL run blocking.[/QUOTE]

7lbs is nothing , that'll be off in a week

He got hurt in theplayoffs but worst case, there are far worse scenarios IMO than having LT as your every down back

If the rest of the offense ie the passing game steps up I don't think having LT as number 1 plus having 3 of the best receivers in the game is going to be a problem.
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 06-25-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... screw all that, bring in woodhead !!! ... :rockon: ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any running back can get injured

The WAR MACHINE was extremely durable during his seasons at Iowa. And, once he returned from his preseason injury, he was durable and also terrific until the second half of the AFC Championship game. Unfortunately for the Jets there was no backup as good as LT available for that second half and we had to put Thomas Two Yards in as the starter thus stopping the running game in its tracks

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3633804]Any running back can get injured

The WAR MACHINE was extremely durable during his seasons at Iowa. And, once he returned from his preseason injury, he was durable and also terrific until the second half of the AFC Championship game. Unfortunately for the Jets there was no backup as good as LT available for that second half and we had to put Thomas Two Yards in as the starter thus stopping the running game in its tracks[/QUOTE]

To be fair Jones was quite dinged up in that game as well. I'm not disagreeing with you that Greene was better than TJ in the playoffs, but I don't think its as cut and dry as you say.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    dump

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Run Jets Run;3633546]How many people on these boards, think Shonn Greene will last the whole season? He even had trouble last year staying healthy through training camp last year. And with some reports of him being a little over weight, I can't help but think that shouldn't help his game shape.

I feel that LT was brought in as the change of pace guy, with or without Shonn Greene healthy. Anyone have any opinions?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Greene will make it all year, especially if he gets 20 carries a game. LT can't be an every down back anymore.

I, for one, think it was a mistake to dump Jones but I'm in the minority.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The WAR MACHINE was extremely durable during his seasons at Iowa. And, once he returned from his preseason injury, he was durable and also terrific until the second half of the AFC Championship game. Unfortunately for the Jets there was no backup as good as LT available for that second half and we had to put Thomas Two Yards in as the starter thus stopping the running game in its tracks[/QUOTE]

Maybe but Greene didn't have much of a workload in the regular season. He fumbled too much and then hurt in AFC champ so I'm a bit worried right now...

Lets hope I'm wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3633603]Reports of Greene being overweight?

Where?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Just like the rest of the 80 odd players at OTAs....at least according to the report you wrote. :rolleyes: ..... ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

And Lawrence Maroney was never injured at Minnesota, but that hasn't held true in the NFL. Also its hard to gauge his durability last season since he only had 100 carries during the season.

Lets see how does when he's getting 20 carries + per game. And like you said, any RB is a play away from a serious injury. I don't remember Leon Washington ever being hurt much prior to his injury last season.

With few exceptions I think the Jets have been pretty lucky injury wise over the last 2 or 3 years. People tend to forget the effect it can have.

BTW- except for 2003 and 2004, over the merger years, teams who have won the superbowl have been in the top 10 in the league in fewest starters lost to injuries most of those years. Lesson: You not only have to be good. You have to be lucky.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3634056]dump[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://preparednesspro.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/swine-flu-panic-button.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the difference is that Shonn Greene is a terrific NFL running back drafted in the third round by Tannenbaum while Lawrence Maroney is a disastrous total bust whiffed on by Video Beli in the first round

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Having been a rookie last year he was not able to condition himself like a pro. Being in the off season program is going to be huge for him.