Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number 2, Derek Jeter, Number 2

Number 2, Derek Jeter, Number 2

Derek Jeter's 10 years/$189 million deal is over at the end of the season. He's clearly been handsomely awarded for his Hall of Fame career. But now what? Do we give him anything he wants? Open check book? If you noticed Jeter is having one of his worst seasons ever. And he's noticably slower on the base paths and the field. And for a man turning 36 tomorrow it shouldn't come to a surprise. Personally I think it would be a mistake to give him anything more than a 2 year deal, worth $10 or so million a year.

PS. A-Rod's contract is going to kill us in the future.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-25-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Derek Jeter's 10 years/$189 million deal is over at the end of the season. He's clearly been handsomely awarded for his Hall of Fame career. But now what? Do we give him anything he wants? Open check book? If you noticed Jeter is having one of his worst seasons ever. And he's noticably slower on the base paths and the field. And for a man turning 36 tomorrow it shouldn't come to a surprise. Personally I think it would be a mistake to give him anything more than a 2 year deal, worth $10 or so million a year.

Personally, I don't think Jeter will be giving the Yankees a hard time at all. I think there is just as much respect from Jeter to the Yanks as there is from the Yanks to Jeter...meaning they both know it's not open checkbook, but Jeter will still be taken care of.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

They will work something out, doesn't really matter, DJ is no dope and he knows there is life after baseball with the Yankees if he wants. First class act, he will burn no bridges.

Hasn't he been playing hurt? Foot or somehting? He alway's plays hurt without it being public knowledge.
    Plus plus Derek Jeter hitting .050 is worth more to the Yankee's then anyone else on that team.

I alwys hate when teams pay their players for past accomplishments of even for potential. But in this case it's warranted.

I'm a Met fan btw

Jets Insider VIP
    "I always hate when teams pay their players for past accomplishments of even for potential. But in this case it's warranted."

I completely agree with this statement.

If you think he is going to get $10 million a year, you're dreaming. The Yanks won't even consider coming in that low. Jeter will get no less than 3 year and $54 million. Perhaps a personal services contract to boot.

You can argue anything you want and that he isn't worth that money but the argument is useless. This is a guy who WILL get a monument one day, not just a plaque. The Yankees will pay him for who and what he is.

He will get a contract like that and the details of the negotiations will for the most part be kept out of the papers.

All Pro
    The Yankees can afford to give Jeter anything he wants and not miss a beat. Money here is clearly not an issue, as usual for the Yanks. 2 years $40-million. It doesn't matter.

The problem is that he's not the player he once was; he isn't good enough defensively to play SS on a regular basis anymore. I never want to say a bad word about him, but any objective party could watch a game and determine that his range is just flat out poor at this point.

There have been just so many balls up the middle this year that he was half a step late on. A good SS makes 85% of those plays.

I would not want to be in Cashman's shoes. Having to make the decision that either forces Jeet to move to RF or perhaps out of town. But he should not be the everyday SS next season.

All Pro
    Does anyone remember at the start of spring training how SOOOO many fans wanted the Yankees to renew Jeter's contract before the season starts?....This is why you don't renew contracts before previous ones are completed. Jeter has clearly slowed down and lost some range at SS. He's also become very impatient at the plate for some reason. One of the great things about him was the way he worked counts.

Jeter and the Yankees aren't stupid. They both need each other. Jeter will be the next MLB player to 3000 hits and the first Yankee to do it. And he is still a good player. I can see them agreeing to 3 (with a club option for 4)years and $10 to $12 mil./year. Jeter will retire a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Does anyone remember at the start of spring training how SOOOO many fans wanted the Yankees to renew Jeter's contract before the season starts?....This is why you don't renew contracts before previous ones are completed. Jeter has clearly slowed down and lost some range at SS. He's also become very impatient at the plate for some reason. One of the great things about him was the way he worked counts.

Jeter and the Yankees aren't stupid. They both need each other. Jeter will be the next MLB player to 3000 hits and the first Yankee to do it. And he is still a good player. I can see them agreeing to 3 (with a club option for 4)years and $10 to $12 mil./year. Jeter will retire a Yankee.
    It's going to be at least $40m/3 or 50m/4.

My guess is something like $55m/4 years

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    "I always hate when teams pay their players for past accomplishments of even for potential. But in this case it's warranted."

If you think he is going to get $10 million a year, you're dreaming. The Yanks won't even consider coming in that low. Jeter will get no less than 3 year and $54 million. Perhaps a personal services contract to boot.

You can argue anything you want and that he isn't worth that money but the argument is useless. This is a guy who WILL get a monument one day, not just a plaque. The Yankees will pay him for who and what he is.

He will get a contract like that and the details of the negotiations will for the most part be kept out of the papers.
    Nice post Cross.

YEPP! For most fans over 45, we remember the bad years. These younger fans see the Yankees as 1995 forward........ My first year in memory was 68. We sucked, always 3rd or 4th place.... Murcer, White, Horace Clark, Munson, Stotelmyer....great team to root for but that's it.

Then the 76 to 81 era, GREAT fun, I was at the 77 world series.

Then 81 to 94 NO FUGGIN PLAYOFFS, We were a JOKE!!!!

There is NO WAY to put in writing the GREATNESS that Jeter is. On a team of history, he is number 6 possibly 5. (RUTH, GEHRIG, MANTLE, DiMAGGIO, BERRA) go in front and that's it, in my count.

Who knew that our 1996 rookie, whose ball was caught bt Jeffrey Maier would be the next coming of A GREAT NY Yankees. 50 years and NO YANKEE has been as important as JETER.

Sometimes when I see these young kids idolize him...I wonder if they FULLY realize how great he is and not just an "idol" but a ROCK.

A deal will be worked out that keeps him a Yankee forever and I agree...he will be in monument park one day. Deservedly so.

The fact is the Yankees DO have a budget. Clearly there was a number Brian Cashman could not go past this off season. It is not smart for the Yankees as a whole to grossly overpay Derek Jeter. He's already been handsomely awarded for everything he's done for this franchise, we should not pay him for what he's done in the past, we should pay him for what he will do in the future. If we overpay we waste money that could be used in other areas.

Derek is playing hurt. His injury[ies] only amplify his lack of range and hitting. DJ will retire a Yankee true enough. I agree, the FO can't overpay for past greatness though

Jeter is going to get a contract similar to Posada and Mo end of story . How do the Yankees take care of those guys and not jeter

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Jeter is going to get a contract similar to Posada and Mo end of story . How do the Yankees take care of those guys and not jeter
    Mo got a 3 year/$15M per deal and the Yankees actually played hardball with Mo, he wanted a 4 year deal, Posada got a 4 year/$13.1M per deal. I had no problem giving Mo that contract. But Posada should of never gotten 4 years, but he threatened to have dinner or lunch with Omar Minaya, and Cashman caved. I'm willing to bet Cashman wishes this was the last year of Posada's contract.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

totally agree

Jeter as well as Bernie Williams are my all-time favorite Yankees. I grew up with them, but Jeter getting $18 million a year is frankly a joke. He's been paid that the last 10 years, and even at his best, he was never a $18 million dollar player, so him getting that in the twilight of his career is ridiculous. Especially considering the economics of baseball has changed.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-25-2010 at 07:19 PM.

As a yankee fan for thirty years I would rather pay an "old" derek jeter than pay some of the guys we have paid over the years and got nothing for it

Non-issue. Yankees have more money than god. Give him a gazillion who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Non-issue. Yankees have more money than god. Give him a gazillion who cares?
    haha I agree, this is a special circumstance. I think we should overpay him for a year or two, maybe 13-15 mill a year? Something not too ridiculous that both sides can agree on, hopefully this happens easy and doesn't make anyone look greedy.

Yankees have a budget, that was pretty obviously this past off-season.

Yankees have a budget, that was pretty obviously this past off-season.
    Yes a budget. Which can change.