Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan, Jets worried about more than seats- Salfino, SNY

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan, Jets worried about more than seats- Salfino, SNY

Ryan, Jets worried about more than seats
    Head coach doesn't back down throughout offseason
    By Michael Salfino / SNY.tv

Rex Ryan has lost weight but added quality to the Jets' defense as he prepares for the 2010 season. (AP)

Mike Francesa is mad at the Jets and is searching for any reason to bash them. That's a pitiful task when the entire NFL world is heaping praise on the team for its offseason personnel machinations.

The latest rant: The Jets are only making moves to sell more personal seat licenses. That makes you wonder if all that soda has impeded the flow of oxygen to Francesa's brain. While often tiresomely personal in twisting his analysis to suit his grudges (especially when it comes to Gang Green), Francesa is a smart man. Smart enough to know that the only way a football team can maximize its business value is through on-field success. So if the Jets are making moves to sell PSLs, they first must directly make moves to improve the team. This is to make Jets fans, what? Angry?

OK, Francesa was also focused on the team's agreeing to appear on HBO's "Hard Knocks" this year. But that doesn't start until August. So what does that have to do with selling PSLs now? You would think that Francesa, who brags about watching CNBC more than ESPN, would realize NFL business fundamentals. Yes, there is a product here. It's good for Jets fans that ownership realizes it.

Back in the day of another era of Jets ownership, Leon Hess was bashed by Francesa and then-partner Chris "Mad Dog" Russo for not caring about the fortunes of the team. Of course, that tune changed dramatically when Hess hired Francesa's buddy Bill Parcells and quickly became "Mr. Hess."

On Wednesday, Francesa knocked Rex Ryan as "a buffoon" who is about ready to "shoot seltzer" from his pants (or maybe on his pants). Jets owner Woody Johnson was a "greedy socialite" rich with "Daddy's money" and Mike Tannenbaum ("Mr. Mike," previously) a pawn one must suppose in Johnson's George Steinbrenner-like power plays from behind the curtain.

Francesa's still mad about the Jets beating the Chargers and ruining his January "they're only lucky" story line, but this is ridiculous. Calm down, big fella.

Francesa and many Giants fans and perhaps a majority of the NFL may want to portray Ryan as a clown, but he's a hero to Jets fans. Every time he opens his mouth, they just lap it up. No apologies. No quarter. Tom Brady says about the Jets to Peter King in the Monday Morning Quarterback:

"They're always a team that gives us problems, and they've sure made a lot of changes this offseason. When your archrivals do as much as they've done, you've got to pay attention. They went to the conference championship game, they've got a great defense, they can run the ball as well as anyone and they've got a great young quarterback who can make a lot of plays. Our whole division's improved. To win the division, we'll really have to earn it this year."

Most of us would show some humility there and thank Brady for his kind words. But not Alpha Dog Rex:

"He's a smart guy," Ryan told 1050 ESPN Radio. "As I put it, 'It's on.' We're not afraid of that. We're making sure everybody knows it, that we plan of being the team that wins the division this year."

You would think that with Mark Sanchez still gimpy and dealing only with defense as it relates to Page Six rumors, Ryan would at least be mildly tempered. But there is no offseason apparently for Ryan's testosterone. Just the word "Brady" is enough to send him into a 'roid-like rage.

The Jets front office is taking a breather by locking up arguably their two top position players, Darrelle Revis (perhaps the best player in football) and center Nick Mangold, to long-term contracts. This non-capped year is the perfect opportunity for that. But if they pull it off before long, it will be due only to PSLs, Francesa will probably say.

NFL blackouts are never going to happen in New York, and Johnson never said they would. He only said he wouldn't sell individual game tickets. To televise games in New York, the networks will buy 10,000 seats in a heartbeat if necessary -- and it won't be necessary unless the Greater New York area suddenly turns into Detroit.

Jets home games were rarely televised when the team played at Shea Stadium. The Giants sold out for decades and people in my father's generation had to drive out of blackout range to Connecticut to watch them. There was a certain charm to that. But that's old school. There's no way for the league to enforce a blackout today because people can watch even blacked-out games (those broadcast on network channels) on their mobile devices. So it's not just the threat that was empty (were it ever made, which it was not), but the entire issue completely manufactured merely to serve as a pretext for a lengthy anti-Jets diatribe. If only those could be blacked out locally.

Michael Salfino writes for the Wall Street Journal and Yahoo! and is a regular contributor
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 06-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this guy pretty much just summed up what every Jet fan has been saying about Francessa for quite a while now. Nice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take THAT fat ass!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The Jets front office is taking a breather by locking up arguably their two top position players, Darrelle Revis (perhaps the best player in football) and center Nick Mangold, to long-term contracts. This non-capped year is the perfect opportunity for that. But if they pull it off before long, it will be due only to PSLs, Francesa will probably say. "

F**k Francesca, he's fat

I am more interested in what the writer said above....Did we sign Revis and Mangold already? where the F**k have I been? I never heard that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;3634113]"The Jets front office is taking a breather by locking up arguably their two top position players, Darrelle Revis (perhaps the best player in football) and center Nick Mangold, to long-term contracts. This non-capped year is the perfect opportunity for that. But if they pull it off before long, it will be due only to PSLs, Francesa will probably say. "

F**k Francesca, he's fat

I am more interested in what the writer said above....[B]Did we sign Revis and Mangold already? where the F**k have I been? [/B]I never heard that.[/QUOTE]

Not yet, but apparently they are working on it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Led Halen;3634041]Wow, this guy pretty much just summed up what every Jet fan has been saying about Francessa for quite a while now. Nice.[/QUOTE]

+1
    Nice to see someone publicly call out lard a$$

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3634123]Not yet, but apparently they are working on it.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope they get it done soon - don't need the circus coming training camp time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]While often tiresomely personal in twisting his analysis to suit his grudges (especially when it comes to Gang Green)[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fatso has pretty much forgotten about the Jets since he is too busy these days kissing the sphincter of his beloved Pinstripers

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salfino just took a gargantuan steaming pile of **** on Schmuckcessa and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've done the correct thing for the two years or so...

blacked out the fat schmuck on my personal radio and TV.

Kay may be a shill for the Yankees like Fatso but he, Donno and Bonno are vastly more informative and entertaining than the repetitive, boring, fat turd on the FAN

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    schmuck francessa!

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3634065]Take THAT fat ass![/QUOTE]

YES!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3634336]Oh Yeah, and one other thing he said to Benigno ....

[B]"Don't ever compare me to Rex Ryan ... I'm only 245 Pounds!!"[/B]

ONLY 245 :eek:

Dude is like 5' 5", does he not know being 245 at that height is like Rex being 600 :eek:

Talk about delusional :shakehead

Rex is what, 6' 2" or 6' 3" .... does this fool really not understand that?

He was talking like Rex is morbidly obese, but he (Francesa) isn't

And again, he wasn't kidding, he was dead serious ... thinks he's handsome and not particulary overweight either :D[/QUOTE]

Lmao...I missed that because I cant listen to Benigno and Roberts for too long...I do know that about this time every year Benigno gets huffy about having to cover for Mike's vacations and makes remarks on the air that p*ss Mike off...and he comes in early to hammer him.

I guy like Francesser could not have achieved what he has without being delusional, because any sane person would have examined their lives and concluded that being a butcher was more their speed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    okay, we all know fatcessa is a schmuck and he turned antijet in a big way after the giaints sponsored wfan and parcells moved on. however, ryan has thus far produced only one successful season. obviously the jets have gotten players who are capable but they still need to play as a team to succeed and that's ryan's job.

psl? stupid idea to begin with and antifan but that's what they want to do. if the team is successful, it won't seem like such a bad idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3634168]+1
    Nice to see someone publicly call out lard a$$[/QUOTE]

Excellent article and right on point about Mike FATcesa.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3634362]okay, we all know fatcessa is a schmuck and he turned antijet in a big way after the giaints sponsored wfan and parcells moved on. however, [B]ryan has thus far produced only one successful season.[/B] obviously the jets have gotten players who are capable but they still need to play as a team to succeed and that's ryan's job.

psl? stupid idea to begin with and antifan but that's what they want to do. if the team is successful, it won't seem like such a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

So he's batting 1000! Nice!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does Rex Ryan have a "good" relationship with this a-hole? I don't remember if it was on mike'd up and/or on his radio show, but I remember him saying that he and Rex had a good relationship and got along, blah blah blah :huh:

I can't see someone with Rex Ryan's personality having a good relationship with someone who always bashes the team he coaches. Also bashing the ownership and the fan base. How is this even possible? :huh:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tamernyc34;3634589]How does Rex Ryan have a "good" relationship with this a-hole? I don't remember if it was on mike'd up and/or on his radio show, but I remember him saying that he and Rex had a good relationship and got along, blah blah blah :huh:

I can't see someone with Rex Ryan's personality having a good relationship with someone who always bashes the team he coaches. Also bashing the ownership and the fan base. How is this even possible? :huh:[/QUOTE]

It's not true.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I shouldve figured..