Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JETS Deep Patrol: Secondary to None- Cimini

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

JETS Deep Patrol: Secondary to None- Cimini

Jets deep patrol: Secondary to none?
    June, 27, 2010 Jun 276:18AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiSunday Jets notes to remedy your World Cup agita:

Dennis Thurman has coached a lot of great players and a lot of fantastic defensive backfields in his career, and he believes the current Jets secondary has the potential to be the best of them all.

“It could be the deepest we’ve had, even in Baltimore, from top to bottom,” the Jets’ secondary coach told me. “We had some good players in Baltimore, but not the depth we have here. It could be the best secondary I’ve ever had, top to bottom. That’s saying a lot.”

For the record, Thurman considers the 2006 Baltimore Ravens the standard by which all of his secondary units are measured. That was an awesome defense that included S Ed Reed, S Dawan Landry, CB Chris McAlister and CB Samari Rolle as the starters in the secondary (combined interceptions: 19), with Corey Ivy as the top backup. The Ravens finished sixth in pass defense and No. 1 in total defense.

The Jets have five holdovers from a secondary that ranked No. 1 in pass defense, including two starters – CB Darrelle Revis and S Jim Leonhard. The top backups are S Eric Smith, CB/S Dwight Lowery and S James Ihedigbo. Throw in CB Antonio Cromartie, S Brodney Pool and a No. 1 pick (CB Kyle Wilson), and you can see why Thurman is excited. He loves his depth so much that he’s talking about using an eight-DB package for specific situations.

Crazy? Well, they might be vulnerable against the run with that many “smalls” on the field, but Smith and Ihedigbo have the versatility to line up as linebackers in a sub package. That would give opposing offenses a lot to think about. They also have so many clever blitz packages, often overloading one side with a cluster of DBs, that offenses struggle to identify the personnel.

So how do the Jets and the ’06 Ravens stack up? Reed is an all-timer, for sure, but Revis also has that kind of ability. To me, the key is Cromartie. If he can revert to the 2007 version, the guy who made 10 interceptions, the Jets will have two elite corners. There a lot of teams without one elite corner, let alone two. If Cromartie can be that guy, the Jets might make Thurman’s prediction come true.

SOMETHING TO KEEP AN EYE ON

While talking to Thurman, he mentioned that Cromartie was rested for a few reps in minicamp because of a sore hamstring and “somewhat of a hip issue.” That’s interesting because Cromartie played the entire 2008 season with a fractured hip. No one knew it at the time, but he made the revelation shortly after the season ended. He said it happened in the opener.

Could that be a reason why he wasn’t as productive in 2008 and 2009? Will it be a factor this year? It bears watching.

ON THE NEGOTIATING FRONT

Barring something crazy, look for second-round LG Vladimir Ducasse to sign over the next week or so. Right now, the Jets have two draft picks under contract, with Ducasse and Wilson still unsigned. Ducasse (No. 61 overall) figures to land a four-year contract for about $3.4 million, including a signing bonus of about $1 million. Wilson (No. 29 overall) should be about $13.4 million on a five-year deal, including close to $7 million in guarantees.

Once they hammer out those fairly routine deals, the Jets will be able to concentrate on more important matters, like Revis and C Nick Mangold and … you know the list.

THIS AND THAT

Former Jets RB/KR Leon Washington is said to be ahead of schedule in his rehab and his surgically repaired leg should be ready for training camp, according to Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. Washington will be monitored in camp, but this is great news for a player who is battling back from a career-threatening injury. Anybody willing to predict that rookie RB Joe McKnight, Washington’s replacement, has a better year than Washington? Didn’t think so … McKnight (fourth-round pick) signed a four-year deal for $2.36 million, including a signing bonus of about $572,000. Here’s another way to look at the signing bonus: It’s the equivalent of 28 premium PSLs in the Coaches Club section.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After dumping Cimini and bringing on Mehta the Daily News now have a beat writer that is Second to None.

Boy cimini is really a douche - After reading about PBU after PBU by Cromartie in mini camp what cimini come sup wiht this crap about hamstring and hip issues keeping him on the sideline? This, all the while, Leon Washington has no health issues and then comparing McKnights' salary not to Leon's and saying that Tanny did a smart move in saving $ to resign Revis, Mangold, etc but to the cost of PSLs

Rich - this kind of garbage journalism is why the Daily News got rid of and upgraded from you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cimini brings up Cromartie's hip, this could be worrisome.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3634621]Cimini brings up Cromartie's hip, this could be worrisome.[/QUOTE]

Not to worry! He is still very athletic and a speed demon. His hip will not be a hinderance. Thats Cimini and his wishful thinking!:eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3634610] … McKnight (fourth-round pick) signed a four-year deal for $2.36 million, including a signing bonus of about $572,000.[B] Here’s another way to look at the signing bonus: It’s the equivalent of 28 premium PSLs in the Coaches Club section[/B].[/QUOTE]

After a relatively non-inflamatory article, he had to get his zinger in on the very last line. Figures.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    slow summer for cimini. what do you expect him to write about, world cup?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... exactly the $h*t you'd expect to spew out of the POS cimini ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone willing to predict that Cimini isn't the worst POS covering this team?.... Didn't think so

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Anybody willing to predict that rookie RB Joe McKnight, Washington’s replacement, has a better year than Washington? Didn’t think so … [/QUOTE]

:zzz: Cimini's such a dick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol when articles are posted its either "Cimini is POS" or "Manish is so refreshing, hes great!"

Well anyway....can anyone tell me what the point of a 8 DB package would be. And how it would be really beneficial? Like it said, would leave us pretty vunerable against the run, but i'm guessing it would offer quite some confusion? I feel like whenever Inhedibgo is out there, he always blitzed and not much of a guessing game with him.

Well I still can't wait to see Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson out there together.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craphead's anti-Jets agenda always comes through..S.O.B.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craphead's anti-Jets agenda always comes through.. he's a S.O.B.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;3634978]Craphead's anti-Jets agenda always comes through.. he's a S.O.B.[/QUOTE]

... + 2 ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;3634978]Craphead's anti-Jets agenda always comes through.. he's a S.O.B.[/QUOTE]

you can say that again, fiji

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My goodness people. This article wasn't THAT bad, the Washington trade still doesn't sit too well with me. It was a pretty petty shot though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3635179][B]My goodness people. This article wasn't THAT bad, the Washington trade still doesn't sit too well with me. [/B]It was a pretty petty shot though.[/QUOTE]

People, who otherwise have a pretty thick skin, get offended quite easily by anything that Cimini says. The article, overall, was a positive one, but all anyone will focus on is the Leon aspect.

The guy has been around the team for over 15 years. He's allowed to express his opinion on the good as well as the bad. So he thinks Leon will have a better year than McKnight? That's hardly ground breaking. He does it in a snarky way? So what? Replacing Leon with McKnight wasn't exactly a no brainer. We all know the considerations surrounding the move (i.e. there is simply no money to extend Leon and he's all but gone after this year), but Leon was a great player for this team. Nothing wrong with recognizing that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wonder what Mehta will sound like after 20 years without a championship... and at least half of those years being flat out losing seasons.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a VIP member for years here at JI but I find myself wondering if it's worth it anymore. Here's how I feel about the Cimini article - thank you Rich!!!I'm sitting here Jets news deprived until training camp late next month and I'll gladly take a full article of observations and opinions from a veteran Jets reporter to help get me through. Do I agree with everything he writes? NO!, but I don't have to to be able to enjoy the read. Too bad most of you had nothing Jet or even football related to respond with. The good news is you guys will probably mature a little as you grow up.

FWIW - I'll really miss Leon he was one of my favorite Jets. I saw Schein interview McKnight on JN last night and although he might turn out OK, I wasn't real impressed with him. It's what he does on the field that matters of course, so we shall see. As far as AC goes, he played 16 games plus playoffs last year didn't he? With the Jets depth he won't play every down and he should be OK. At the least Tannenbaum had to know the deal and in Mike I Trust.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bleedjetgreen;3635203]I've been a VIP member for years here at JI but I find myself wondering if it's worth it anymore. Here's how I feel about the Cimini article - thank you Rich!!!I'm sitting here Jets news deprived until training camp late next month and I'll gladly take a full article of observations and opinions from a veteran Jets reporter to help get me through. Do I agree with everything he writes? NO!, but I don't have to to be able to enjoy the read. Too bad most of you had nothing Jet or even football related to respond with. [B]The good news is you guys will probably mature a little as you grow up.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Condescending much? Yes, I realize I hadn't posted in this thread until now, i.e. nothing about Cimini, but get off your high horse, turd.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3635206]Condescending much? get off your high horse, turd.[/QUOTE]

... speaking of turds ...

... cimini has earned over many years and deserves the ill will he gets from many of us ...

... perhaps it's not a matter of thickness of said skin or maturity in growing, rather awareness of the anti-jet sentiment that consistently pervades his drivel ...

l_j_r