Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll admit- I'm conflicted about Mark Gastineau...

Rookie

I'll admit- I'm conflicted about Mark Gastineau...

How do you feel about him? I was always a big Klecko fan and I've always heard Klecko and Lyons could not stand him. I was not a big fan of the sack dance - I did not agree with calling attention to yourself like that...I know things have changed in sports since then...He was a very good player and deep down I don't think he was a bad guy. He left the team under tough circumstances as well.

I have a hard time liking or disliking him. How do you feel?

If hes not playing on the team this year then who really cares?

Rookie
    [QUOTE=MainManMickens24;3634893]If hes not playing on the team this year then who really cares?[/QUOTE]

Well it's the off season...he's part of Jets history...do you not care about Namath or Maynard as well?

All League
    [QUOTE=Buldawg;3634890]How do you feel about him? I was always a big Klecko fan and I've always heard Klecko and Lyons could not stand him. I was not a big fan of the sack dance - I did not agree with calling attention to yourself like that...I know things have changed in sports since then...He was a very good player and deep down I don't think he was a bad guy. He left the team under tough circumstances as well.

[B]I have a hard time liking or disliking him. How do you feel?[/B][/QUOTE]
    about the same as you do..

marks problem was he was a much better player than a teammate..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buldog;3634890]How do you feel about him? I was always a big Klecko fan and I've always heard Klecko and Lyons could not stand him. I was not a big fan of the sack dance - I did not agree with calling attention to yourself like that...I know things have changed in sports since then...He was a very good player and deep down I don't think he was a bad guy. He left the team under tough circumstances as well.

I have a hard time liking or disliking him. How do you feel?[/QUOTE]

What people forget was Mark was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro(Martin made it just once) and is regarded as one of the top 10 sack artists of all time.. In 83 and 84 he totaled 41 sacks in those 2 years alone.. I didn't like the sack dance either and I met Marty Lyons in a elevator one day and he said the other 3 just tolerated him and half the time Klecko wanted to kill him..:P

Jets Insider VIP
    scab

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3634906]What people forget was Mark was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro[B](Martin made it just once[/B]) and is regarded as one of the top 10 sack artists of all time.. In 83 and 84 he totaled 41 sacks in those 2 years alone.. I didn't like the sack dance either and I met Marty Lyons in a elevator one day and he said the other 3 just tolerated him and half the time Klecko wanted to kill him..:P[/QUOTE]

LOL!~

The battle rages on.

Wasnt old enough to watch Gastineau, however the highlight reels of him are good. Damn good.

I dont mind the dance so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buldawg;3634890]How do you feel about him? I was always a big Klecko fan and I've always heard Klecko and Lyons could not stand him. I was not a big fan of the sack dance - I did not agree with calling attention to yourself like that...I know things have changed in sports since then...He was a very good player and deep down I don't think he was a bad guy. He left the team under tough circumstances as well.

I liked him at the time...... for that , I will always revere him as a solid JET.

He has fallen on tough times I understand.

I always think placing Gastineau in Jets history is tough. For a short period of time he really was a dominant pass rusher, but at the same time he was more interested in hyping the brand and image of himself moreso than helping the team. I'll always blame him for that loss in Cleveland in the playoffs even though there were plenty of other factors that day (by the same token I would have blamed Eric Barton if we lost in San Diego in 2004). If there was a recent player that I would equate him to it was definitely John Abraham, though Abraham was just interested in maximizing value rather than building an image.

That said I was pretty young when Gastineau played and it was pretty cool to have him on the team since it was like having a celebrity playing. I know history hasnt been kind to him, but I think he is probably the second most famous Jet of all time behind Namath. Even in terms of popularity among just fans of the team I would think he rates very high, probably third or fourth. People went nuts when he came back to the stadium in like 2004 or 2005 and would do a little sack dance in the stands. I also think its a bit hypocritical of fans to criticize him for the attitude when, if he was a current Jet, they would eat him up. He is almost everything that the Rex Ryan Jets want to be in terms of making noise and being at the center of attention.

Jets Insider VIP
    one dimension pass rusher always vulnerable to be run on.

selfish player hated by his teammates

scab

better at boxing

Agree. Loved Klecko and Lyons and didn't care for Gastineau.

One of the 5 pass rushers of all time, and athletically way ahead of his time. If you were a jets fan, I don't know how you couldn't love him. The celebrations were a little over the top, but doesn't overshadow how great a player he was. I think the whole "hated by teammates" thing has been blown out of proportion. He was the most popular member of the Sack Exchange, got LLP the attention, endorsements and was a sex symbol, so there was some jealousy. He was cocky, and he had a right to be. Guy was an animal.

All League
    plain and simple.... he was and always will be a douche bag

When I was a kid out here in California, cheering for the Jets was torture (not as if that changed much over the years, but you know what I'm saying) ... I got teased mercilessly by Steelers, Cowboys, and Raiders fans. And then the Jets got a player that made people take notice ... and suddenly the Jets weren't pushovers anymore. That player was Mark Gastineau.
    I appreciate the fact that there were other players that made the Jets contenders ... but Gastineau was the first guy that made other fans say, "Oh sh**, the Jets can play." For the first time in my life I could be proud to be a Jets fan. I will always have a spot in my heart for Gastineau based on that fact alone.
    What did the player do for the Jets on the field? Did he help them win? Those are the only questions that matter. Who liked him ... was he a nice guy ... how did he act "off the field" ... those questions are for chumps.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Many of his sacks were chased out of the pocket by #73.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3635012][URL]youtube.com/watch?v=Yt4y2mcqucQ[/URL]
    [/QUOTE]

Those are some classic videos, but this one is exactly why people did not like his routine at times. He gets the sack and the ball pops loose, the Jets are trying for the ball and what is Mark doing? Dancing in the end zone. Could he have helped get the ball if it was ruled a fumble? Probably not, but you should get up and make an attempt or find a body to hit and then dance around. Kerry Rhodes did the exact same thing this year. I cant remember what game it was, but he wailed a guy from behind and starting doing his little kneel down and fist pump routine seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that there may have been a fumble on the play. Those kind of things really drive you nuts when you watch a game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I know that Klecko and Lyons were better all-around players, and the roughing the passer penalty against the Browns led to perhaps the most painful loss among the many painful losses for this franchise. Still, I have to admit that I really liked Gastineau when he was on our team.

So, he was a one-dimensional pass rusher. Boy, would I like to have someone like that right now who could consistently put pressure on the quarterback. I love all the blitzing we do and everything, but that's in large part a product of not having a Gastineau type who can create pressure without the defense having to sell out with all-out blitzes.

However, somebody mentioned this earlier, how he still owns the "legitimate" single-season sack record with 22. I'm not a fan of how Brett Favre took a dive and let Michael Strahan break the record, but it must not be forgotten, either, that Gastineau was a steroids monster back then, too. So I don't know how legitimate I'd say the record was. But he was ours, and I rooted for him big time back then, and I'd be a hypocrite to say I wasn't a big fan.

The best way to say it was, for opposing teams' fans, he was certainly the player they loved to hate. Kind of like Jason Taylor was for us when he was a Dolphin. This year, he's probably going to be the same jerk he always was, but if he puts Brady down to the turf a couple of times in Week 2, that'll all be forgotten. Gastineau was probably tough to be around for his teammates, but when he was sacking Marino and the like, I'll bet everyone was pretty happy he was on the team.

Bewildered Beast
    Mark Gastineau was an icon; I was glad to have him on the team, Every Jets fan I spoke to loved Gastineau and feared for his safety. Here was a phenom, a genius AND a total mental midget in the same package. Jets fans love Mark because, when he[B][B][I] stuck[/I][/B][/B] a quartback, it was memorable. Lights out.

[QUOTE=SackDancer99;3634986]One of the 5 pass rushers of all time, and athletically way ahead of his time. If you were a jets fan, I don't know how you couldn't love him. The celebrations were a little over the top, but doesn't overshadow how great a player he was. I think the whole "hated by teammates" thing has been blown out of proportion. He was the most popular member of the Sack Exchange, got LLP the attention, endorsements and was a sex symbol, so there was some jealousy. He was cocky, and he had a right to be. Guy was an animal.[/QUOTE]

Klecko was known to have disliked him and called him an arsehole publicly. Other team mates have been quoted as disliking him as well.

I hate him for his roughing the passer penalty on Bernie Kosar singlehandedly destroying the Jets playoff run that year.

people have been known to kick little dogs named muffin into glass coffee tables over that play

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I was conflicted about him and often felt the same way as GJ&H, but once he quit on the team, I wrote him off.

He's crap.