Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Winston wants to change the league

Eric Winston wants to change the league

Except for his idea of wiping out the divisons I like his ideas.

[B]Eric Winston wants to change the league[/B]

Posted by Mike Florio on June 28, 2010 11:46 AM ET

Texans offensive lineman Eric Winston takes the reins of [I]Monday Morning Quarterback[/I] this week, during Peter King's hiatus. (Peter already was scheduled to be off while covering the World Cup; last week his brother, Bob, died suddenly, and Peter's family has been in our thoughts and prayers ever since.)

Winston brings his fastball to the keyboard, offering up five ideas for changing the game.

First, he'd move the Super Bowl to Saturday in order to let fans better enjoy the game, since they won't have to worry about work and school the next day. But if the league adds two regular-season games and continues to start the season the weekend after Labor Day, Winston possibly would get his wish, since the Super Bowl would likely land on President's Day weekend, when Monday is a holiday.

Second, he'd make a radical change to the conference format and schedule, dumping the divisions and having each team play the other teams in its conference once, with one game against a rival from the other conference.

We see three potential problems here. First, it would essentially wipe out most interconference play, since each team would play only its assigned rival from the other conference every year. Second, by putting the top six of 16 teams from each conference into the postseason, the subtle genius of giving every team a plausible path to the playoffs by giving them a one-in-four crack at a division crown would diminish the hope that runs rampant throughout every NFL city when each team resides in the valley of 0-0. Third, division rivalries fuel much of the sport's popularity; under this proposal, they'd be gone.

Next, Winston wants a larger roster and a minor league. We agree on both counts. Young players who otherwise sit on the bench would benefit from a chance to use live reps against other NFL-caliber players as a way to improve.

Winston also favors a "sensible" rookie wage scale. He proposed a four-year deal for first-rounders and three-year contracts for rounds two through seven, with no franchise tags or other restrictions. (We'd be shocked if the league ever agrees, unless in exchange for that arrangement all player salaries would be paid in Monopoly money and/or foam peanuts.)

Fifth, Winston believes that overtime should be changed for the regular season, with the first possession determined by something other than a coin flip and both teams getting a crack at the ball before it converts to sudden death. We agree on both ideas -- but the first one becomes far less necessary if the second is adopted.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/28/eric-winston-wants-to-change-the-league/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    mostly dumb old ideas.

figures the ambulance chaser would like them

Saturday Superbowl would be awful

Bewildered Beast
    Let's send Deacon Jones over to head-slap that fool.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;3635329]Saturday Superbowl would be awful[/QUOTE]

I actually thought that was the best idea he had.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Saturday Super Bowl would suck!! Making the Monday after a national holiday should be what they shoot for.

Why? Just curious.

Jets Insider VIP
    I didn't like any of his ideas except for the rookie cap.

Everything else didn't make sense at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    the game should be moved to the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend with the already existing Monday federal holiday.

Probably will happen when the lockout ends, the Players Association is broken and the 18 game regular season at the same salary, rookie salary cap and limited maximum guaranteed salaries are installed

[QUOTE=C Mart;3635360]Why? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Because as a religious Jew, I - and many other huge football fans - would have no "Superbowl Day": no barbecue in the afternoon, no setting up the party, no playing football with the kids, no watching the pregame, and I'd even miss the opening kick.

It. Would. Suck.

[QUOTE=sg3;3635367]the game should be moved to the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend with the already existing Monday federal holiday.

Probably will happen when the lockout ends, the Players Association is broken and the 18 game regular season at the same salary, rookie salary cap and limited maximum guaranteed salaries are installed[/QUOTE]

Also, peace in the middle east is established, world hunger is ended, and that damn scourge poverty is abolished once and for all.

Eric Winston has no pull... no one cares what he thinks. Only reason I know who he is, is because he was an o-lineman when D'Brick and Mangold were drafted and there were 2 other "Winston's" in that O-Line class (Winston Justice and Eric Winston).

[QUOTE=Peebag;3635346]I actually thought that was the best idea he had.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would be great not to have it on a work night.
    :yes:

Im not a big fan of the scheduling thoughts. I get where he is coming from since he feels his team misses out on the playoffs by being in a perceived tough division, but essentially eliminating all the NFC/AFC games just does not seem right. I really dont like the idea of the Super Bowl on Saturday. Football is a Sunday game. I think it is only right that the season culminates on a Sunday.

I dont mind the rookie scale idea, though there has to be a way for the teams to hold the rights for longer. I think rookie deals should be negotiated with an option in year 4 to extend the contract. The option cant be guaranteed and should be equal to some type of predetermined number based on draft position and position played that is determined in a manner similar to the franchise tag.

As for overtime, if the NFL just pushed the kickoff back 5 yards nobody would ever complain. that is really all it would take.

All Pro
    Eliminating the divisions is a really, really, really stupid idea. Rivalries are what drives this game for fans. I would be in favor of reorganizing the divisions and slightly altering the schedule. I'd prefer to see "rivalry games" instead of games between teams ranked in the divisions (1v1, 2v2, ect.) from the previous year.

AFC East: Jets, Pats, Bills, Ravens
    AFC North: Steelers, Colts, Bengals, Browns
    AFC South: Titans, Jags, Texans, Dolphins
    AFC West: Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos

NFC East: Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers
    NFC North: Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings
    NFC South: Saints, Falcons, Bucs, Rams
    NFC West: 49ers, Cowboys, Seahawks, Cardinals

I also wouldn't mind some sort of minor league system, but I don't think that will happen. Expanding the number of active players for each game would also be nice.

[QUOTE=Peebag;3635346]I actually thought that was the best idea he had.[/QUOTE]

Saturday Super Bowl is a great idea. The parties would be ten times better and the younger kids could watch the game and not be zombies in school the next day. People have been complaining about this for years. Major playoff games are on Saturday, it's not a stretch to have one more.

Playing every team in your conference once + one NFC/AFC opponent is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Totally takes away divisions and that's just dumb.

Screw Winston.

Hall Of Fame

+1 they already changed the draft up..leave SUPER SUNDAY baby!:yes:

but yes, we should get off monday...we need to stop living in a world run by CEOs..**** YOU BUDDY I WANT ME SOME FOOTBALL!

[QUOTE=SMC;3635361]I didn't like any of his ideas except for the rookie cap.

Everything else didn't make sense at all.[/QUOTE]

Agree, the rookie cap seemed to make the most sense. SB Saturday wasn't too bad as well, but the rest seem too redical and hard to implement or justify

[QUOTE=sg3;3635367]the game should be moved to the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend with the already existing Monday federal holiday.

Probably will happen when the lockout ends, the Players Association is broken and the 18 game regular season at the same salary, rookie salary cap and limited maximum guaranteed salaries are installed[/QUOTE]

lots of schools have breaks that week and lots of families travel. Lower ratings. Not going to happen.