Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees vs. Mariners @ Yankee Stadium

Yankees vs. Mariners @ Yankee Stadium

SEATTLE MARINERS VS. NEW YORK YANKEES

Tuesday: Cliff Lee, LHP (6-3, 2.39) vs. Phil Hughes, RHP (10-1, 3.17) @ 7:05 PM

Wednesday: Felix Hernandez, RHP (5-5, 3.28) vs. Javier Vazquez, RHP (6-6, 5.16) @ 7:05 PM

Thursday: Ryan Rowland-Smith, LHP (1-7, 6.18) vs. CC Sabathia, LHP (9-3, 3.49) @ 1:05 PM

damn we gotta face Lee and King Felix...ugh

All Pro
    I wish there was a way to have CC pitch against either Lee or Felix. I don't feel comfortable having Vazquez pitch against Felix.

I'm hopeful for a sweep or 2 outta 3

Derek Jeter SS
    Nick Swisher RF
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Jorge Posada DH
    Curtis Granderson CF
    Chad Huffman LF
    Francisco Cervelli C

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Derek Jeter SS
    Nick Swisher RF
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Jorge Posada DH
    Curtis Granderson CF
    Chad Huffman LF
    Francisco Cervelli C
    I hope Joe is just giving Gardner an extra day off to rest his hand and not because his hand is seriously injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I hope Joe is just giving Gardner an extra day off to rest his hand and not because his hand is seriously injured.
    They had x-rays and showed nothing but a bruise.

They had x-rays and showed nothing but a bruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Jeez, he's like an egg out there

Awful start for Hughes.. worst of the season...isn't a huge surprise after being skipped and having not pitched in 10 days. Yankees will get hammered in the media for it.

Awful start for Hughes.. worst of the season...isn't a huge surprise after being skipped and having not pitched in 10 days. Yankees will get hammered in the media for it.
    well the Joba rules worked out pretty well for the Yanks also.

Yep I actually figured he would have a rough start tonight after being skipped.

How big do you think Lee's contract will be.How much $ and years will the Yanks have to go?

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Yep I actually figured he would have a rough start tonight after being skipped.

How big do you think Lee's contract will be.How much $ and years will the Yanks have to go?
    He'll want Lackey and Burnett money.

Which is 5 years/$82.5 ($16.5 per)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Did the Yankees not learn their lesson after screwing up one brilliant young pitcher with these idiot rules?

DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT TWO?
    How many times do we have to present years and years of evidence that back the rules? I'd love to see your evidence behind the fact that Joba's "screwed up" as a direct result of the rules.

But you're right, let's blow a regular season game in June against Seattle so out of proportion that we risk a promising guy's future

Think the Cubs wished they had followed something similar with Prior and Wood?

CLIFF LEE

I would offer the Mariners Vasquez or Burnett (their choice) and Gary Sanchez or Austine Romine (their choice)

1. You Gotta Give Quality to acquire this caliber SP, so spare me the crocodile tears over Sanchez or Romine

2. We can afford to deal a blue chip catching prospect because we're dealing from strength (loaded at catcher)

3. If they want the blue chip young catcher as they reportedly do, they have to take the Vasquez or Burnett contract
    Ham why don't you seem to understand this?

Why would the Mariners trade for a rental in Vazquez? and why the hell would they want to take on Burnett's contract? The Mariners are holding all the cards, they are not competing this year, so them taking on money makes 0 sense. If they wanted to pay someone a lot of money, why wouldn't they just hold on to Lee? and take the draft picks after the season.

Austin Romine and Eduardo Nunez and or a pitcher would probably get us Lee. I doubt they would want Gary Sanchez, he's 17 years old in the Gulf Coast League. I wouldn't do that off course. I want Lee... after the season.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.

I think a lot of the recent trouble had to do with steroids, that's my guess, because there was never a big problem with young pitchers blowing their arms out until the steroids era (Prior, Wood, Liriano, Gagne, etc.) ... that's when this became a big problem, but with roids out of the game I don't think you'll see as many young pitchers breaking down.

JMO
    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...veruse-fatigue

Here is thread with a whole list of pitchers who's careers stalled or ended because of overuse. Obviously Sandy Koufax stands out. His career ended at age 30. And cocaine gets too much blame for Dwight Gooden's demise. The Mets ran him into the ground.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-29-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    BTW, Nolan Ryan has taken the opposite approach with his young pitchers in Texas

He wants them throwing more innings, not less ... the way he and his peers did it as young pitchers, which is something Jim Kaat always advocated on the air as well ... so now it will be interesting to see if it backfires
    The theory isn't based on absolute total innings. It's on progressive buildup of innings. Meaning a guy who throws 120 in year 1 should not jump right up to 200 the next season. Because years and years of data have proven that significantly increases a pitcher's risk.

You're off on your Nolan Ryan thing a bit too. Ryan's change of approach is focused much more on throwing more pitches. In his estimation, the 100 pitch limit is nothing but a number with no real basis other than being a nice round milestone number. So he's throwing that out the window. But he's not going to have a guy double his inning output from one year to the next. He knows better than that.

Cliff Lee is sure going to look good in pinstripes next year.

Understand what?

Don't act like the you have to school me, cause you happen to be wrong.
    No you're wrong. You don't understand that a team that is rebuilding is not going to trade for an expiring contract. They are the one's trading expiring contracts, not the other way around. They want prospects or young players on rookie contracts. Someone they can rebuild with. It's not complicated.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-29-2010 at 10:27 PM.

What is Austine Romine?

What is Eduardo Nunez?

And again, if they have to take Vasquez for a few months to get the other two for the long haul, why not?

What does it cost them?

Answer: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
    They wouldn't take him for a few months, they would trade him for more prospects. If Romine and Nunez are going to Seattle for Lee, Vazquez wouldn't be involved. We could trade Vazquez to the Mets or someone else who could use him for a postseason run.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 06-29-2010 at 10:38 PM.