Thread: ESPN - Best Jets Team Ever: 1968

ESPN - Best Jets Team Ever: 1968

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/14749/best-jets-team-ever-1968[/url]

[HTML]Best Jets Team Ever: 1968
    June, 30, 2010
    Jun 30
    2:00
    PM ET

By Tim Graham
    Notable players: QB Joe Namath, RB Emerson Boozer, RB Matt Snell, WR Don Maynard, WR George Sauer, G Dave Herman, T Winston Hill, DT John Elliott, DE Gerry Philbin, DE Verlon Biggs, MLB Al Atkinson, CB Johnny Sample, K Jim Turner.

Darryl Norenberg/US PresswireJoe Namath and the Jets stunned the football world by winning Super Bowl III.
    Analysis: To sum up the glory of the season and the agony of being a New York Jets fan over the past 40 years, there's only one candidate for the best team in franchise history.

The 1968 Jets are iconic. They transformed the NFL with their landmark 16-7 victory over the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III, a result seared more deeply into legend with Joe Namath's renowned guarantee.

Those Jets remain the ultimate "any given Sunday" underdogs. They legitimized the upstart American Football League by knocking off the heavily favored Colts, an NFL institution. You can close your eyes and see the NFL Films clip of Namath wagging his index finger while he trotted toward the Orange Bowl tunnel.

But the Jets were no Buster Douglas fluke. While Namath was the leading man of an offense that averaged 29.9 points a game, the Jets owned the AFL's top-rated defense in yards allowed.

The Colts averaged 28.7 points a game. The fewest points they had scored in a game was 16, but the Jets' defense chased league MVP Earl Morrall from the game and made it easy for running back Matt Snell to hammer out the win.

Broadway No: The Jets' 1968 season is synonymous with Namath's swagger, but he wasn't always the driving force. Desperate to corral his recklessness, the Jets turned into a running team to the point Namath went 27 quarters without throwing a touchdown pass. Namath threw two more interceptions than he did touchdowns and finished with a 72.1 passer rating, 11th in the NFL.

Honorable mention

Franchise-best series schedule

June 22: NFC East
    June 23: AFC North
    June 24: NFC West
    June 25: AFC West
    June 28: NFC South
    June 29: AFC South
    June 30: AFC East
    July 1: NFC North
    1969: The Jets followed up their championship campaign with a 10-4 record but scored only six points in their first playoff game and lost. They wouldn't have another winning season for a dozen years.

1998: Two seasons earlier, the Jets went 1-15. Head coach Bill Parcells navigated them to the AFC Championship Game behind the fifth highest-scoring offense and the second-stingiest defense.

1981: After a 1-3-1 start, the New York Sack Exchange backstopped the Jets to their first playoff berth in 12 seasons. They closed out the regular season with a 7-1 rally.[/HTML]

Best Jets Team Ever: 1968
    June, 30, 2010
    Jun 30
    2:00
    PM ET

* Email
    * Print
    * Comments21

By Tim Graham
    Notable players: QB Joe Namath, RB Emerson Boozer, RB Matt Snell, WR Don Maynard, WR George Sauer, G Dave Herman, T Winston Hill, DT John Elliott, DE Gerry Philbin, DE Verlon Biggs, MLB Al Atkinson, CB Johnny Sample, K Jim Turner.

[+] EnlargeNamath
    Darryl Norenberg/US PresswireJoe Namath and the Jets stunned the football world by winning Super Bowl III.
    Analysis: To sum up the glory of the season and the agony of being a New York Jets fan over the past 40 years, there's only one candidate for the best team in franchise history.

The 1968 Jets are iconic. They transformed the NFL with their landmark 16-7 victory over the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III, a result seared more deeply into legend with Joe Namath's renowned guarantee.

Those Jets remain the ultimate "any given Sunday" underdogs. They legitimized the upstart American Football League by knocking off the heavily favored Colts, an NFL institution. You can close your eyes and see the NFL Films clip of Namath wagging his index finger while he trotted toward the Orange Bowl tunnel.

But the Jets were no Buster Douglas fluke. While Namath was the leading man of an offense that averaged 29.9 points a game, the Jets owned the AFL's top-rated defense in yards allowed.

The Colts averaged 28.7 points a game. The fewest points they had scored in a game was 16, but the Jets' defense chased league MVP Earl Morrall from the game and made it easy for running back Matt Snell to hammer out the win.

AFC East: Best teams ever

1990 Buffalo Bills
    1972 Miami Dolphins
    2004 New England Patriots
    1968 New York Jets

Poll: Best AFC East teams ever
    Most impressive win: Aside from the Super Bowl, the Jets' biggest victory was avenging their Heidi Game loss to the Oakland Raiders. A month and a half later in the AFL title game, the Jets' defense yielded 433 total yards. Still, New York won 27-23.

Broadway No: The Jets' 1968 season is synonymous with Namath's swagger, but he wasn't always the driving force. Desperate to corral his recklessness, the Jets turned into a running team to the point Namath went 27 quarters without throwing a touchdown pass. Namath threw two more interceptions than he did touchdowns and finished with a 72.1 passer rating, 11th in the NFL.

Honorable mention

Franchise-best series schedule

June 22: NFC East
    June 23: AFC North
    June 24: NFC West
    June 25: AFC West
    June 28: NFC South
    June 29: AFC South
    June 30: AFC East
    July 1: NFC North
    1969: The Jets followed up their championship campaign with a 10-4 record but scored only six points in their first playoff game and lost. They wouldn't have another winning season for a dozen years.

1998: Two seasons earlier, the Jets went 1-15. Head coach Bill Parcells navigated them to the AFC Championship Game behind the fifth highest-scoring offense and the second-stingiest defense.

1981: After a 1-3-1 start, the New York Sack Exchange backstopped the Jets to their first playoff berth in 12 seasons. They closed out the regular season with a 7-1 rally.

Veteran
    According to my father who has been a Jets fan since the beginning, the 1998 team was better than the Super Bowl Champs.

Practice Squad
    2010 :yes:

I did something on my site a few months ago looking at all the Jets teams and how they performed based on their schedule. 1968 actually ranked fourth. 1982 came in 1st, and I think that was likely helped by it being a short season. I was actually surprised at how well they dominated the league on offense that season. I knew it was a good offense, but they put up points that were basically on par with what we see a team like the Colts or Saints do now. If you want to read it here is the link:

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/jetsefficiency.html[/url]

nice list there. great read.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RoadFan;3637510]According to my father who has been a Jets fan since the beginning, the 1998 team was better than the Super Bowl Champs.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, no.

Jets Insider VIP
    as someone who has seen every one of them since 1960....

2010 is going to be the best by miles

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=RoadFan;3637510]According to my father who has been a Jets fan since the beginning, the 1998 team was better than the Super Bowl Champs.[/QUOTE]

No way.

Jets Insider VIP
    1. 2010

2. 1968

3. 1998

4. 2009

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sg3;3637587]1. 2010

2. 1968

3. 1998

4. 2009[/QUOTE]

sg3.... The 2009 team was special, had a GREAT run but one of the teams from 81 to 86 should be there no???? McNeil, Walker, Sack Exchange.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;3637571]as someone who has seen every one of them since 1960....

2010 is going to be the best by miles[/QUOTE]

I've been a fan since that 68 season sg3 and I think this year's team has the deepest talent of them all-all we need is a Babe Parelli or an Earl Morral type savvy veteran to fill in if Sanchez gets hurt-because let's face it Kellen Clemens is pretty horrible, regardless of what his teammates are saying about him.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3637627]sg3.... The 2009 team was special, had a GREAT run but one of the teams from 81 to 86 should be there no???? McNeil, Walker, Sack Exchange.[/QUOTE]

yea I'd put the 82 squad in there before I anoint the 2010 team anything

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jason423;3637534]I did something on my site a few months ago looking at all the Jets teams and how they performed based on their schedule. 1968 actually ranked fourth. 1982 came in 1st, and I think that was likely helped by it being a short season. I was actually surprised at how well they dominated the league on offense that season. I knew it was a good offense, but they put up points that were basically on par with what we see a team like the Colts or Saints do now. If you want to read it here is the link:

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/jetsefficiency.html[/url][/QUOTE]

They avg 27.2 points a game in the short season the 68 team avg 29.9??? Your right it was because of their short season..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SoFlaJets;3637663]yea I'd put the 82 squad in there before I anoint the 2010 team anything[/QUOTE]

Are you associated with the south Florida JETS fan club?

[QUOTE=Savage69;3637668]They avg 27.2 points a game in the short season the 68 team avg 29.9??? Your right it was because of their short season..[/QUOTE]

What made 1982 so statistically impressive was the fact that they faced a brutal defensive schedule. Their opponents that season only gave up 18.3 PPG, which is why Id make that comparison to being as effective as a team like the Saints or Colts. The Jets 68 squad, though they scored more points, faced a schedule giving up 22.5 PPG. Both were impressive and clearly the two most productive offenses we ever had.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3637669]Are you associated with the south Florida JETS fan club?[/QUOTE]

no-those guys are out of Broward and Dade-I'm up in Palm Beach county-but I love what they do and are all about

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jason423;3637692]What made 1982 so statistically impressive was the fact that they faced a brutal defensive schedule. Their opponents that season only gave up 18.3 PPG, which is why Id make that comparison to being as effective as a team like the Saints or Colts. The Jets 68 squad, though they scored more points, faced a schedule giving up 22.5 PPG. Both were impressive and clearly the two most productive offenses we ever had.[/QUOTE]

Well why not factor in the fact of the rule changes that helped offensive scoring in 82 that didn't exist in 68??:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jason423;3637692]What made 1982 so statistically impressive was the fact that they faced a brutal defensive schedule. Their opponents that season only gave up 18.3 PPG, which is why Id make that comparison to being as effective as a team like the Saints or Colts. The Jets 68 squad, though they scored more points, faced a schedule giving up 22.5 PPG. Both were impressive and clearly the two most productive offenses we ever had.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for putting those stats together - nice read. I was a Shea season ticket holder in 1982 and remember that season very well. I'm surprised, however, that the '82 squad - despite getting to the AFC Championship game - ranks as high as it did. I can well recall the 2 regular season losses to the Fish, the first of which was an opening day blowout at Shea. But it was the regular season finale in Kansas City that really bothered me. Going in, the Jets were at 6-2 and simply didn't show up that afternoon, getting hammered something like 37-13, dropping to 6-3 and assuring themselves of playing all playoff games on the road (which turned out to be 3 games, just like '09). In retrospect, the Jets did save their best for 2 of those road postseason games, so those results were nice. But in terms of regular season, I thought the '82 team wasn't as impressive as '81 or '85 just MHO.