Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN The Magazine naming Darrelle Revis the best defensive player in team sports

ESPN The Magazine naming Darrelle Revis the best defensive player in team sports

[QUOTE]Who is the best current defender in all of team sports? ESPN The Magazine takes on that question this month in its "Best in Sports" issue and senior writer Shaun Assael gives the nod to Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“They didn’t give me a trophy. They’re putting me in the magazine,” said Revis last week at a photo shoot at the Home of the Jets. “It’s a great honor. I appreciate ESPN reaching out to me, and thinking of me as the top defensive player in all of team sports is great.”

Revis, who will turn 25 next month, was named runnerup behind Packers CB Charles Woodson in the 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year voting and the AFC Defensive Player of the Year at the NFL 101 Awards. The Curtis Martin Team MVP had six interceptions (one returned for a score) and an NFL-high 34 passes defensed for the league’s No. 1 unit in both points allowed (14.8 per game) and pass defense (153.7 ypg).

“There are a lot of things going on that I’m getting into off the field. It’s great,” he said when asked about the love he’s gotten recently from both ESPN and The Sporting News. “You have to enjoy it, don’t put any pressure on yourself and have fun. I’m living a dream and this is what I always wanted to be — the top corner in the NFL — and now stay on top.”

An outstanding basketball player at Aliquippa High School in Pittsburgh, Revis turned to the NBA when asked who he thought were some of the best individual defenders in team sports.

“I like [Lakers forward] Ron Artest and how he defends. He did a great job trying to shut down some of the best scorers in the NBA,” said the man who led his high school to back-to-back WPIAL AA championships and averaged 22.8 points a game his senior season. “[Trevor] Ariza from the Rockets. As far as NFL guys, [Raiders CB] Nnamdi Asomugha, and Asante Samuel is always up there in interceptions, Julius Peppers does a great job, Dwight Freeney, Charles Woodson.

"There are a lot of guys out there."

But Assael says nobody’s better than Revis. After posing for a bunch of shots, Revis looked up at the four enormous videoboards at the new stadium and saw images of him displayed in all corners.

“This is not Darrelle Revis Day, is it? This is great. The stadium is lovely. We practiced here last week and I got a chance to get a feel for the new turf. This is unbelievable,” he said. “Everything is happening for this organization. In the past, there were struggles with a lot of bad seasons. But we have the right guys in here and we have the right coach in here. We’re doing a great job with the new stadium. Everything is just clicking the right way and this is the way to build a championship-type organization.”

Reed’s Status Bears Watching

In exactly 11 weeks, the Jets and the Ravens will play the first nationally televised game at the New Meadowlands Stadium. Baltimore’s sure to be a formidable foe, but what will the health of all-world safety Ed Reed be on Sept. 13?

The 5’11”, 200-pound Reed contemplated retirement before electing for surgery to fix a torn labrum in his hip this offseason. In a recent interview on Sirius Mad Dog Radio, Reed said his rehabilitation should take four to six months.

“I want to be ready for the first game, but I don’t know how soon that would happen, how soon I would be back,” Reed said. “You know, we’re gonna continue to do the things to try and get back and at least play this year for the fans, man, cause they’ve been hounding me, man.”

A gamechanger, Reed has 46 career regular-season interceptions and he’s returned six for scores. Despite playing hurt in last year’s postseason, he collected a pick each off of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

"It's still a long, slow process, you know, and I try to do some stuff to strengthen it right now and I know it's just weak but I mean, yeah, I had to have reconstructive surgery," he said. "They had to go in and reconstruct my whole hip. They took about six or seven inches from my IT band, replaced my labrum that I tore. They went in in two spots, so I mean it's a slow process. Plus I have other injuries that, you know, really probably had an effect on causing this that I have to pay attention to also. So I'm just taking my time.”[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1669-revis-given-a-great-new-title-by-espntm"]http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1669-revis-given-a-great-new-title-by-espntm[/URL]

Well then. The accolades begin to pile up. The Jets are really going to have to pay up...

All League
    Good stuff.

Awaiting the "Quick! No one let Revis see the article. It might give him ideas." replies. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]“This is not Darrelle Revis Day, is it? This is great. The stadium is lovely. We practiced here last week and I got a chance to get a feel for the new turf. This is unbelievable,” he said. “Everything is happening for this organization. In the past, there were struggles with a lot of bad seasons. But we have the right guys in here and we have the right coach in here. We’re doing a great job with the new stadium. Everything is just clicking the right way and this is the way to build a championship-type organization.”[/QUOTE]What a cancer.
    Last edited by ozu; 07-01-2010 at 10:49 AM.

it sucks that Revis is a free agent. we're gonna have to give him that massive contract or risk losing him.

if only he had 3 years remaining on his deal...

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3637634]
    if only he had 3 years remaining on his deal...[/QUOTE]

If only he were some kind of robot that always followed orders... instead of a human who feels underpaid.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3637641]If only he were some kind of robot that always followed orders... instead of a human who feels underpaid.[/QUOTE]

Yep...they should probably just give him $30 mil a year.

KaChing !!!!

[IMG]http://www.atoncer.com/collectibles/main/vending/cashregisters-3.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3637634]it sucks that Revis is a free agent. we're gonna have to give him that massive contract or risk losing him.

if only he had 3 years remaining on his deal...[/QUOTE]

He is NOT a free agent...he is re negotiating.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Polidore22;3637653]Yep...they should probably just give him $30 mil a year.[/QUOTE]

And ownership of at least 1/2 the team.. Too bad all the other writers voted for Woodson..(Even though I think Revis should have won DPOY)

This award just got him another $10M on that contract.....

[QUOTE=Polidore22;3637653]Yep...they should probably just give him $30 mil a year.[/QUOTE]

there was a Pittsburgh beat writer article yesterday about how the Steelers passed on Revis. (they took Lawrence TImmons instead)

the article talked about how a certain type of personality (lunch pail hard hat) guy was right for the steelers...

Revis is not a lunch pail guy. He's not Jericho Cotchery. He's not Mike Devito.

Expecting Revis to comport himself like a "regular" player is like expecting to buy a ferrari for the price of a kia. And get the same gas mileage.

The Jets didn't have to go for a super star player. they could have made a choice like the Steelers did and taken a lower profile player with less talent.

Instead they chose the best defender in all of sports. And here we are. They have to pay him. Or they never should have drafted him in the first place.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3637665]there was a Pittsburgh beat writer article yesterday about how the Steelers passed on Revis. (they took Lawrence TImmons instead)

the article talked about how a certain type of personality (lunch pail hard hat) guy was right for the steelers...

Expecting Revis to comport himself like a "regular" player is like expecting to buy a ferrari for the price of a kia. And get the same gas mileage.

The Jets didn't have to go for a super star player. they could have made a choice like the Steelers did and taken a lower profile player with less talent.

Instead they chose the best defender in all of sports. And here we are. They have to pay him. Or they never should have drafted him in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yes I'm sure the Steelers think they made a good move there. :rolleyes: They wouldn't want Revis anywhere near their team.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3637665]there was a Pittsburgh beat writer article yesterday about how the Steelers passed on Revis. (they took Lawrence TImmons instead)

Instead they chose the best defender in all of sports. And here we are. They have to pay him. Or they never should have drafted him in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe ANYONE knew REVIS would be this good. He was highly touted but this is more like buying an ACURA and getting a Ferrari....but now it needs high test JET fuel, no more mid grade Octane.

LOL... The Steelers passed on Revis because they made a bad call. Revis didn't fall to 14 because no one wanted to pay the can't miss superstar CB. :zzz:

All League

the article talked about how a certain type of personality (lunch pail hard hat) guy was right for the steelers... [/QUOTE]I've actually heard this argument from Steelers fans that even knowing how each player turned out, they're glad they got Timmons because the Steelers just don't believe in paying out huge contracts.

Nevermind that Harrison got the largest contract ever for a linebacker at the time.

[QUOTE=SackDancer99;3637671]LOL... The Steelers passed on Revis because they made a bad call. Revis didn't fall to 14 because no one wanted to pay the can't miss superstar CB. :zzz:[/QUOTE]They didn't pass. We jumped ahead of them.
    Last edited by ozu; 07-01-2010 at 11:56 AM.

[QUOTE=Polidore22;3637666]Yes I'm sure the Steelers think they made a good move there. :rolleyes: They wouldn't want Revis anywhere near their team.[/QUOTE]

here's the article

[url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_688039.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.

Revis definitely deserves more money.... but at what point do you draw the line.... At what he's asking, you have to decide weather signing him really outweighs possible losing Brick, Mangold and Harris... or even Sanchez a couple years down the line. Is one player greater than the team... I have to say no, Revis has to come down a little before I start defending him. He's the best at his position, but there is more than one position on a football team.

Rookie

It's funny how YOU and the JETS knew he was the best defender in all of sports when they chose him. :zzz:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3637665]there was a Pittsburgh beat writer article yesterday about how the [B]Steelers passed on Revis[/B]. (they took Lawrence TImmons instead)

How did the Steelers pass on Revis when we moved up to pick before them?? BTW I don't recall you ever saying your Boy Drob was over paid with the 25 million he got when he was a Jet..

the thinking is that if Revis was there they still wouldn't have wanted them... that's not my thinking it's from the beats. This is plus content (premium) so i had to fish it out of google's cache

[quote]
    Here’s a PG Plus reader who remembers precisely that first Mike Tomlin draft in 2007:

YOU: Hi Ed , i read your transcript from yesterday’s chat and i seen something interesting . You had mentioned in the chat that even if Darrell Revis was still there when the Steelers picked 15th in the 2007 draft they would still have taken Lawrence Timmons over Revis . I remember Tomlin stating that the Steelers really liked Revis and some eyebrows were raised at the time that Tomlin would comment on Revis with the potential that the Steelers might draft him . It is always easier to look back than predict the future when it comes to draft picks . But i must say if the Steelers had indeed drafted Revis , the Steelers would not only still be in the playoffs but would be in great position to repeat as Champions . I will take Revis and Foote over Timmons and Gay and never look back . Timmons is a good linebacker and has glimpes of greatness . But Revis is such a beast . Something the Steelers are needing now badly . Foote never would have asked to be relased and still would be a Steeler this season .

Thanks for always answering our questions and doing the chats . Considering i live in Alexandria Va we dont get any Steeler news locally . So the PG is a lifesaver .

ME: You remember right. Tomlin was asked during his pre-draft news conference with Kevin Colbert about Darrelle Revis, who played at Pitt. He remarked just as you said and many took that to mean they would draft Revis. I was one of them because I picked him. The Jets moved ahead of the Steelers and drafted Revis and many thought that the Steelers then took Lawrence Timmons as their second choice. [b]I learned later that it was going to be Timmons all the way.[/b] Mike Tomlin fell in love with him and he and Colbert drafted him. Looking back on it, I believe Tomlin merely was trying to throw off the scent and the Jets took the bait or else they would not have moved into the spot above the Steelers to draft Revis. Either way, the Jets made one good move that day.

It's easy to Monday Morning QB this, but what might have happened had the Steelers taken Revis instead of Timmons? Remember, Timmons played a mean nickel linebacker last season when they won the Super Bowl.[/quote]

[QUOTE=Savage69;3637679]How did the Steelers pass on Revis when we moved up to pick before them?? BTW I don't recall you ever saying your Boy Drob was over paid with the 25 million he got when he was a Jet..[/QUOTE]

why does everything go back to DRob? The dude started 80 games as a NY Jets player... including several playoff wins. He had a bad knee. It happens. That was 7 years ago. He had a better career than Jon Sullivan who was out of the league in 3 seasons and went 2 slots later. Was it an ideal pick? No but I didn't make it. I've learned alot in 7 years. Have you?

[QUOTE=bitonti;3637681]the thinking is that if Revis was there they still wouldn't have wanted them... that's not my thinking it's from the beats. This is plus content (premium) so i had to fish it out of google's cache

[/QUOTE]

Ok fine... but you think they would have passed on Revis knowing he'd be the best corner in the league?? I don't. Revis wasn't incredibly hyped at the time.. it wasn't like he was a top 3 pick.