Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we 'for real" this year or?

Are we 'for real" this year or?

This post is for the long suffering Jets fan who has endured more pain then most sports fans can endure (Cubs fans being the exception :yes:). We are the Super Bowl favorites according to the NFL hype machine and are expected to win this year.This is a franchise that's never done well with prosperity.The "Shula mud bowl AFC championship game",The 86'season when we opened 10-0 and were done in by the Mcguire curse.The 99' opener when Vinny went down with his Achilies.Now we are opening up in our brand new
    Billion $$$ home.We're starring in HBO's Hard Knocks. Tanny has built on paper what can only be described as a championship caliber team.However there could be trouble ahead. Are 2x probowl center and our all world CB may hold out and not report to training camp.Our rookie QB who matured well over his rookie season is coming off of knee surgery which limited his offseason OTA availability and practice time with his recievers.I like my teams to fly under the radar and sneak up on opponents not on every ones best list.Still I do believe Ryan as brash and outrageous as he is can bring home the Lombardi.Please post your thoughts on this upcoming season and have you ever been this hyped up for an upcoming Jet season

Practice Squad
    The Jets will win the Super Bowl this year for sure. Lock it in.

Once again we find the Jets at the doorstep of greatness. Lets hope they walk through this time.

All League
    [QUOTE=Greaser;3637693]Once again we find the Jets at the doorstep of greatness. Lets hope they walk through this time.[/QUOTE]

+1 It would seem we are going in the right direction.

Tannenbaum has done one HELL OF A JOB putting this team together from top to bottom, from the coaching staff to the 53 man roster to the practice squad to the trainers all the way down to the water boys, IF we win, and thats a BIG IF, then Tannenbaum would be the first to be thanked in my book.

However, this is the NFL. Last season the Steelers were coming off a SB Championship and lost games to the Browns and Raiders, so ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Tannenbaum has set us up for success, now it is Rex and the coaching staffs job to put the players on the field in a position to succeed, and the players job to make plays. One thing is for sure, it is going to be one hell of a ride this year!

Jets Insider VIP
    Hope for the best as we have a super talented team. but be wary my friends. Remember what happened week 1 in the Meadowlands in 99. Dont forget history or we are doomed to repeat it.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3637702]Hope for the best as we have a super talented team. but be wary my friends. Remember what happened week 1 in the Meadowlands in 99. Dont forget history or we are doomed to repeat it.[/QUOTE]

?? I don't think any of us forget our history, in fact just the opposite we can't lose the SOJ mentality. If any of us are able to mittigate the memory of VT on the turf in '99, I doubt it will have anything to do with injuries. I get the sentiment though, and the biggest obstacle this year will be staying healthy, everything else looks good. If we're able to do that then all should be good in Jetland.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

A "long suffering" NYJ employee friend of mine says the same thing every year - "The entire New York Jets organization is highly optimistic that this will be our season as the SuperBowl Champions of the NFL".

I always reply - "Until they do, the team and it's fans will always be The Fat Bridesmaids of the NFL."

Get to the altar. Get the ring. :yes:

Veteran
    We are in the same boat as the 99 season right now. We were the big favorite that year to be in the superbowl.

The difference this time is our entire team doesnt depend on the QB. As valuable as Sanchez is he isnt the whole team...... yet.

If he goes down our chances will be diminished but based off of last years success I say we can still make it there with just about any respectable backup.

In 99 once we got a respectable backup in there (LUCAS) we were again one of the best teams in the league. To finish 8-8 that year was amazing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jets31;3637714]We are in the same boat as the 99 season right now. We were the big favorite that year to be in the superbowl.

The difference this time is our entire team doesnt depend on the QB. As valuable as Sanchez is he isnt the whole team...... yet.

If he goes down our chances will be diminished but based off of last years success I say we can still make it there with just about any respectable backup.

In 99 once we got a respectable backup in there (LUCAS) we were again one of the best teams in the league. To finish 8-8 that year was amazing.[/QUOTE]

we don't have a respectable backup on the roster. that's a bit of a problem

All Pro
    Another "I'm afraid to have hope" post. Well, you could be a Chiefs or Browns fan and then you would truly have no hope, which would be comforting I suppose... in a way ;)

Seriously, every team of high quality is not guaranteed anything until the games are played, the injuries mount, the weather or bad calls neutralize a match-up, etc.

Bottom line: we are a high-quality contender with every reason to be optimistic of our chances out of the gate and feared by our opponents. Can't ask for more than that at this point in the pre-season.

Question: If you're a Colts fan, or a Charger fan, or a Packer fan... should you be hopeful and optimistic, or fear being expected by the media and fans to do well.... we're in the same crowd now. Which is a good thing, I think. :yes:

[QUOTE=LI JET FAN;3637670]We are the Super Bowl favorites according to the NFL hype machine and are expected to win this year.[/QUOTE]

Link?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2;3637746]Link?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214359[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    barring any injuries, i definately see the AFC coming down to the Jets and Ravens this year. and that is saying alot from a steelers fan..lol

[QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3637759]barring any injuries, i definately see the AFC coming down to the Jets and Ravens this year. and that is saying alot from a steelers fan..lol[/QUOTE]

When was the last time injuries were barred though? :confused:

All League
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3637731]we don't have a respectable backup on the roster. that's a bit of a problem[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!!!!! That is just such a key factor in becoming a Superbowl team.

BTW the Jets aren't THE favorite to get to the superbowl, they are just among several teams who are being viewed to be among those "likely" to get there. The Colts, Ravens, and Chargers all can lay an equal or better claim.....and when you come down to it, what your ranking is in July is worth "spit in the ocean". Hell, what your ranking is in October has only a tad more value. Just ask the 2009 Giants.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3637782]BINGO!!!!!! That is just such a key factor in becoming a Superbowl team.

BTW the Jets aren't THE favorite to get to the superbowl, they are just among several teams who are being viewed to be among those "likely" to get there. The Colts, Ravens, and Chargers all can lay an equal or better claim.....and when you come down to it, what your ranking is in July is worth "spit in the ocean". Hell, what your ranking is in October has only a tad more value. Just ask the 2009 Giants.[/QUOTE]
    didnt the chargers just lose jackson to suspension?

[QUOTE=jets31;3637714]We are in the same boat as the 99 season right now. We were the big favorite that year to be in the superbowl.

In 99 once we got a respectable backup in there (LUCAS) we were again one of the best teams in the league. To finish 8-8 that year was amazing.[/QUOTE]...really?...ok, hope ur comfortable with clemens and co...i'm not...

All League
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3637800]didnt the chargers just lose jackson to suspension?[/QUOTE]

But just for 3 games as of now. Jared Allen got 4 games for the same thing (2nd DUI) but got it knocked back to 2 games on appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if his gets knocked back to 2 as well.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3637806]But just for 3 games as of now. Jared Allen got 4 games for the same thing (2nd DUI) but got it knocked back to 2 games on appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if his gets knocked back to 2 as well.[/QUOTE]
    oh ok, i didnt catch how long it was for.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'll never forget what a letdown 1983 was. Like now, the Jets were coming off an AFC Championship game ride the year before, had the team and coaching staff intact, O and D lines at the top of their game and then...one inexplicable meltdown game after another against teams the Jets should have dominated. Still can't explain it, other than to say that just maybe when opponents keep hearing how the Jets are "destined" for the Super Bowl and are the de facto champs already in preseason - same as the hype going into1983 - their intensity picks up a few notches and there are no easy games any more.