Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will Cliff Lee be traded to?

Veteran

Where will Cliff Lee be traded to?

All reports indicate that the Mets and Twins are the frontrunners. Where do you guys think hes going?

Sources tell Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog.com that the Mets would be willing to part with prospect infielder Wilmer Flores to acquire left-hander Cliff Lee from the Mariners.
    According to Cerrone, the Mets are reluctant to part with Jon Niese, Ike Davis, Jenrry Mejia or Fernando Martinez, but would be willing to trade Flores, as he is likely a few years away from making an impact on the major league level. Flores, who turns 19 in August, is a top talent, but it stands to reason that the Mariners would likely want a major-league ready player in return as a centerpiece. The market is expected to build for Lee over the next month, so the Mets might eventually have to make some concessions if they want to land the prized left-hander.

Per Roto

All Pro
    I wonder if the rumored Yankees' is legit.

Would Seattle want Javy and a prospect?

The Mets really should give up whatever it takes to get him. Aside from Ike, everyone should be available.

Smart money is on the Twins. They have the young catcher that the M's can insert in the lineup immediately. Wilson Ramos. Twins don't need him, and a rotation headlined by Lee and Lariano is real good, and that ******* Pavano is pitching well. No brainer for the Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Smart money is on the Twins. They have the young catcher that the M's can insert in the lineup immediately. Wilson Ramos. Twins don't need him, and a rotation headlined by Lee and Lariano is real good, and that ******* Pavano is pitching well. No brainer for the Twins.
    I hope it is the Twins. Then the Yankees can sign him in the offseason and reunite him with his best friend CC

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FYtheSG View Post
    I hope it is the Twins. Then the Yankees can sign him in the offseason and reunite him with his best friend CC
    I hope it isn't the Twins!!!!! I hope he goes somewhere in the NL. Imagine facing a pitching staff in the ALDS or ALCS of Lee, Liriano, and Pavano.....

Rookie
    1. Remove Mejia, Pagan, Niese and Ike from the conversation
    2. After that, do whatever makes the M's happy.

Look at the package the Brewers sent for CC and what the Phils sent for Lee last year as prescedents for pitchers in their walk year. We DO NOT have to clear the cupboards to get Lee. Wilmer Flores, Kirk Nieuwenhuis and their choice of Gee/Allen/Familia should be competitive to any package the Twins can put out there. Add Lee to the Mets staff along with a reliable arm to the pen (say Brandon League?) and I'd put them up against any team in the NL right now.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 07-01-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    2. After that, do whatever makes the M's happy.

Look at the package the Brewers sent for CC and what the Phils sent for Lee last year as prescedents for pitchers in their walk year. We DO NOT have to clear the cupboards to get Lee. Wilmer Flores, Kirk Nieuwenhuis and their choice of Gee/Allen/Familia should be competitive to any package the Twins can put out there. Add Lee to the Mets staff along with a reliable arm to the pen (say Brandon League?) and I'd put them up against any team in the NL right now.
    Lee wasn't on the last year oh his contract, and the Brewers sent their best prospect to Cleveland for CC in Matt LaPorta. At that time he was well regarded. Fernando Martinez use to be on that level, not anymore.

Rookie
    Lee wasn't on the last year oh his contract, and the Brewers sent their best prospect to Cleveland for CC in Matt LaPorta. At that time he was well regarded. Fernando Martinez use to be on that level, not anymore.
    While that's true regarding Lee...you'd think the Phils package would have been even better. The deal I make above BEATS what the tribe got for Lee.

Regarding Fernando, while not the super-prospect he was a year or two ago, he still has great value...but I'd have to include him if the M's wanted him badly enough. Understood on LaPorta, but Wilmer is also very highly regarded by scouts...I can guarantee he's on the list. Fernando or Wilmer/Gee/Captain Kirk absolutely gets it done IMO (although Kirk probably stays if F! goes...Thole could probably replace him).
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 07-01-2010 at 06:52 PM.

While that's true regarding Lee...you'd think the Phils package would have been even better. The deal I make above BEATS what the tribe got for Lee.

Regarding Fernando, while not the super-prospect he was a year or two ago, he still has great value...but I'd have to include him if the M's wanted him badly enough. Understood on LaPorta, but Wilmer is also very highly regarded by scouts...I can guarantee he's on the list. Fernando or Wilmer/Gee/Captain Kirk absolutely gets it done IMO (although Kirk probably stays if F! goes...Thole could probably replace him).
    Flores is a good prospect, but he's still only in Single A. I just assume the Mariners will want the centerpiece of any deal to step right in.

Flores is a good prospect, but he's still only in Single A. I just assume the Mariners will want the centerpiece of any deal to step right in.
    From most reports I've read, they're aiming for 2012 to be their year. Flores, if all goes to plan, should be able to come up by then. Not that I really want to deal him, but I guess you have to part with something to get something.

Rookie
    Which is a logical assumption...but Flores could very easily be fast tracked. He just happens to be blocked by DW at the moment, so the mets are going slow with him, and he's doing well with the bat in Savannah right now (go Sand Gnats, LOL). I would think the M's are looking for best overall value...and Thole/Gee/Fernando could all help them right now if they choose that route. If they want the best prospect, then yeah the Twins may win that one. As with Johan though, the M's may take the better overall package plus getting Lee out of the AL.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 07-01-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    If I'm Seattle, taking all 4 of those guys out the equation means there is no conversation.

Seriously. You can't trade for a top 5 pitcher and not expect to give up anything of value.

Banned
    Twins.

Would actually like to see the Mets get him. Omar is a good GM and has gotten killed by Met fans over the years and that move would probably forever shut them up about him.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    If I'm Seattle, taking all 4 of those guys out the equation means there is no conversation.

Seriously. You can't trade for a top 5 pitcher and not expect to give up anything of value.
    You're telling me Wilmer Flores isn't value? Fernando isn't value? What is the cmpetition for Lee? Would you rather have Ramos and a bunch of stiffs or Wilmer Flores or Fernando and a pretty decent return of AA prospects. the Twins prospects really aren't that well regarded outside of Aaron Hicks and Ramos. Unless the twins plan on giving up both of those guys, the mets' should be able to put together a superior package even if you leave the major league talent out of the discussion.

You're telling me Wilmer Flores isn't value? Fernando isn't value? What is the cmpetition for Lee? Would you rather have Ramos and a bunch of stiffs or Wilmer Flores or Fernando and a pretty decent return of AA prospects. the Twins prospects really aren't that well regarded outside of Aaron Hicks and Ramos. Unless the twins plan on giving up both of those guys, the mets' should be able to put together a superior package even if you leave the major league talent out of the discussion.
    Ramos isnt the only prospect the Twins have...they will get Ramos and probably 2 more decent prospects.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

Johan Santana?

Someone is going to give up value, but it will not be blockbuster value as Lee is only a couple month rental. That reduces trade value, with the exception you get two first rounders if he departs

Rookie
    Ramos isnt the only prospect the Twins have...they will get Ramos and probably 2 more decent prospects.
    Like I said, short of Hicks and Ramos the Twins system isn't exactly setting th world on fire. For all the garbage the mets system gets, the mets can get the M's a better package overall than the Twins can. Like Scott said, the return WILL NOT be as much as seattle is hoping IMO because he is a stretch run rental. If the M's want the BPA...the Twins win. If they want the better package, the mets should have that w/o involving the MLB talent.

Veteran
    Actually its a two-tier answer for the Mets.

If they can pull off a sign and trade, then outside of Ike, all other prospects are pretty much fair game (although I would prefer not to include Niese so the pitching staff gets better AND deeper).

If they cannot pull off the sign and trade, Flores and Niese come off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    YANKEES

I'm not buying that the Yankees are not in this, content to wait till the off season

They have the blue chip catching prospects and I believe they will use one. I think they know he wants to re-unite with CC and they can get him to agree to a contract extension once he is here.

JMO
    There is no place in the rotation for him...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    There is no place in the rotation for him...
    Maybe someone wants to take AJ off our hands