Thread: Air Coryell Grounded..For Good

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Air Coryell Grounded..For Good

RIP...

[QUOTE]Don Coryell, the innovative coach whose San Diego Chargers teams featured some of the most dynamic passing attacks in league history, has died. He was 85.

The Chargers confirmed Coryell died Thursday at Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa, just outside of San Diego. The team did not release the cause of death, but Coryell had been in poor health for some time.

Coryell is one of the founding fathers of the modern passing game. He coached at San Diego State and in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Chargers.

From 1978-86 with the Chargers, his "Air Coryell" offense -- led by quarterback Dan Fouts -- set numerous NFL records.

He's the first coach to win 100 games in college and pro football, but he never reached the Super Bowl. [/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really an unsung hero of the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Air Coryell in the early 80's was fun to watch. It was watching a Jets/Chargers game that really got me to be a die hard Jets fan(The Jets outdueled the Chargers 41-29). :rip:

[IMG]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/don-coryell-300x200.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3638130][B]Its a shame he wasn't elected into the HOF while still alive[/B]

He means as much to the evolution of football as any coach who ever lived

He's right there with Gilman, Walsh and the handful of true innovators who really did change the game[/QUOTE]

Its a travesty really.

Never liked the Chargers, despite growing up in SD, but ALWAYS respected Dan Fouts and Don Coryell .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP to a great NFL mind.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved watching the Chargers run his innovative offense. They were always the most wide open, entertaining games. RIP, Coach. Your imprint on the way football is played can never be erased. Condolences to the family.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That early 80's SD team coincided with my becoming a ravenous NFL fan. So even though I lived for Freeman, Gastineao, Klecko, Mehl, etc, I loved watching the real Kellen Winslow, Muncie, Fouts, Joiner, Jefferson. Wonder how a SF-SD would have played out.

RIP coach.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    A great era in football but if I recall correctly he got a ton of crap from the "experts" for his offense. I was watching SD/Cinn playof game from '81 I think the other night on NFL network, coincidental?

RIP

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Bravo;3638149]Air Coryell in the early 80's was fun to watch. It was watching a Jets/Chargers game that really got me to be a die hard Jets fan[B](The Jets outdueled the Chargers 41-29). [/B]:rip:

[IMG]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/don-coryell-300x200.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I remember that game well. It was the opener of the 1983 season and the Jets "O" was rolling.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3638201]I remember that game well. It was the opener of the 1983 season and the Jets "O" was rolling.[/QUOTE]
    :yes: when we all still loved Joe Walton lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3638197]A great era in football but if I recall correctly he got a ton of crap from the "experts" for his offense. I was watching SD/Cinn playof game from '81 I think the other night on NFL network, coincidental?

RIP[/QUOTE]

He saved Fouts career because in Fouts first 5 years he had 34 tds and 51 picks in 43 game starts..:eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those Cardinal and Charger teams under Coryell were a blast to watch - thanks for the memories Don!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP, the shield lost a legend :(

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough D? RIP DC.