View Poll Results: Who would have won?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • '08 Steelers

10 20.00%
  • '09 Saints

40 80.00%

Thread: Who'd Have Won if They Played Each Other: '08 Steelers or '09 Saints?

All League

Who'd Have Won if They Played Each Other: '08 Steelers or '09 Saints?

Both won the Super Bowl.

Steelers went 12-4 [2 seed in AFC] and had the #1 defense in the league.

Saints went 13-3 [1 seed in NFC] and had the #1 offense in the league.

Vote.
    Last edited by MCBNY; 07-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.

All League
    I say the SAINTS. The Steelers almost lost to the Cardinals. I consider the Saints to be the better version of that AZ team.

Payton would have designed a gameplan and Brees would have executed it such that it picked apart that #1 defense.

I think the Cards offense that year was better than the Saints this year. Fitz was a monster that season, especially in the postseason and the Super Bowl game as well... and the Steelers still beat them in the end.

Undrafted Free Agent
    That's a tough one...both teams had really good D

You've gotta be kidding me, right?

Saints would steam roll them.

Steelers were lucky to get there and lucky to win it - Saints without a doubt!

Jets Insider VIP
    Saints better on both sides of the ball.

saints. the steelers started their decline in 2008 even though they finished with a very good record and won the sb. i don't think we'll hear much from them in the next few seasons.

All Pro
    Saints. The Steelers were one of those teams (like the 05 Steelers) that win it when the strongest team either chokes or doesn't show up.

Saints were actually the strongest team of the year.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=124;3638177]You've gotta be kidding me, right?

Saints would steam roll them.[/QUOTE]
    Drew Brees.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3638129]I say the SAINTS. The Steelers almost lost to the Cardinals. I consider the Saints to be the better version of that AZ team.

Payton would have designed a gameplan and Brees would have executed it such that it picked apart that #1 defense.[/QUOTE]

+1 I don't think the Saints would have choked like AZ.

I'm not surprised by the results, but I strongly disagree with the popular sentiment. The 2008 Steelers were one of the best teams of the decade, I don't think the same can be said of last year's Saints. Sure, they started 13-0, but similar feats were accomplished a number of times this past decade.

The problem is that the only thing most can remember is the Super Bowl. The Steelers scraped by the Cardinals (who were a big underdog), and the Saints beat Peyton Manning and the favored Colts.

The Saints had the benefit of a soft schedule last year (only played 3 games against teams that made the playoffs). They capitalized on the opportunity and clinched home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Their offense was held in check by the Minnesota defense and their defense couldn't hold the Minnesota offense, but the Vikings shot themselves in the foot over, and over, and over again, allowing the Saints to escape with the win. The Saints couldn't run the ball or convert on their 3rd downs against the formidable Viking defense. In the Super Bowl, after falling behind by 10 in the first quarter, they rallied to take the lead in the 4th quarter, and sealed the win with an INT return in the final minutes of the game.

The Steelers ran the gauntlet during the regular season during their championship year. They only played 5 games against teams with a record below .500, played 5 games against teams that won 11 or more games, and played 7 of Football Outsiders' top 10 teams. In the playoffs, they trailed for all of 5 minutes during the 3 games. Even in the Super Bowl, where they supposedly stuggled, they controlled the game except for a 7 minute stretch in the 4th quarter.

The Saints are fresh in people's minds because they won last year, but the Steelers were a better team. It would be a very good game, because of Drew Brees, but the Steelers would prevail more times than not.

Bewildered Beast
    [IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/wco33/image.jpg[/IMG]

Well, okay, then. You like the Steelers! You betcha.

[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/wco33/fargo178.jpg[/IMG]

That's right...maa'm. Are we done here?

Maaaa'm?

Hall Of Fame
    The 1999 Rams would have stomped the 2009 Saints.

Hall Of Fame
    Super Bowl Teams (1990-1999)
    1999 St. Louis Rams
    1993 Dallas Cowboys
    1998 Denver Broncos :steamin:
    1997 Denver Broncos
    1996 Green Bay Packers
    1995 Dallas Cowboys
    1994 San Francisco 49ers
    1992 Dallas Cowboys
    1991 Washington Redskins
    1990 New York Giants

Super Bowl Teams (2000-2009)
    2004 New England Patriots
    2000 Baltimore Ravens
    2007 New York Giants
    2009 New Orleans Saints
    2003 New England Patriots
    2001 New England Patriots
    2006 Indianapolis Colts
    2002 Tampa Bay Bucanneers
    2008 Pittsburgh Steelers
    2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

[QUOTE=BigEthel;3638677]+1 I don't think the Saints would have choked like AZ.[/QUOTE]

Yep, gotta go with the Saints on this one - an all round better team than the Steelers