Thread: Conclusions from Football Outsiders.com

Conclusions from Football Outsiders.com

There are a tremendous amount of interesting stats on this site. I surely will be using this data for my conclusions. Maybe others can perform analysis and post their conclusions here.

Among what I've seen is that the left DE/LB position was very weak against the run last year. This is Devito/Pace, although VG played a few games there. Maybe it was worse merely because of VG.
    Also, Ellis/Thomas side was very good against the run.

[url]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl[/url]

Another interesting conclusion is that TJ was a below average RB on any given play. As I understand it, this means that looking at the totality of possible plays, you could expect TJ to perform below average relative to all other RB's on the same play.

Shonn on the other hand, is predicted to exceed the average production on any given play by 5.7%.

[url]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb[/url]

All Pro
    Football Outsiders should create a strategic football game like they used to make

FYI - Ellis and Pace played the left side and Marques Douglas/B. Thomas were on the right side. DeVito was a backup last year; he will be competing with Gholston for starting right DE in 2010.

Rookie
    That site has so much information my mind is shot right now :poundu: thanks for the links!

Yes, this is exactly why a lot of us weren't too worried about losing Thomas Jones, he had a NEGATIVE DVOA over the course of the season.

if their analysis is correct, then letting jones go wasn't the worst thing in the world.

Here's something interesting: An excellent predictor for making the SB is one's ranking on [B]net yards per drive[/B].

This is calculated by taking the average offensive yards per drive, and subtracting the average defensive yards given up per drive.

I've looked at the last 5 SB's and these are the rankings

2009: NO-7 Indy-5
    2008: Pitt-1 AZ-8
    2007: NYG-7 Pats-1
    2006: Indy-2 Chicago-5
    2005: Pitt-4 Seattle-2

As for the Jets, we were 10 last year mostly due to being 1 on Defense; by quite a bit I might add--a great tribute to Rex as the prior 4 years of defense was 17, 27, 21, 21.

As for the offense, the Sh*tty years are 24, 12, 16, 13 from 2009 backwards.

The conclusion: even if Rex makes the D number 1, Sh*tty has got to get the offense to gain enough yards per drive to put us in the top 8 net gainers if we want to make the SB.

No more excuses Sh*tty.

[url]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RexRutha;3639957]Here's something interesting: An excellent predictor for making the SB is one's ranking on [B]net yards per drive[/B].

This is calculated by taking the average offensive yards per drive, and subtracting the average defensive yards given up per drive.

I've looked at the last 5 SB's and these are the rankings

2009: NO-7 Indy-5
    2008: Pitt-1 AZ-8
    2007: NYG-7 Pats-1
    2006: Indy-2 Chicago-5
    2005: Pitt-4 Seattle-2

As for the Jets, we were 10 last year mostly due to being 1 on Defense; by quite a bit I might add--a great tribute to Rex as the prior 4 years of defense was 17, 27, 21, 21.

[B]As for the offense, the Sh*tty years are 24, 12, 16, 13 from 2009 backwards[/B].

The conclusion: even if Rex makes the D number 1, Sh*tty has got to get the offense to gain enough yards per drive to put us in the top 8 net gainers if we want to make the SB.

No more excuses Sh*tty.

[url]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats[/url][/QUOTE]

In 08 we were 9th in points scored.. Even in the 04 season or the 02 season the highest we were was 15th or 17th.. Although I go by points scored or points allowed because to me that's all that matters..