Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: joe mcknight adjusts training

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

joe mcknight adjusts training

good read from NOLA.com

talks about the good (explosive, big play, selfless) and bad (nervous, fumbles, injuries) of Joe McK.

[quote]
    [b]Joe McKnight modifying regimens to make an impact with New York Jets[/b]
    Published: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Rachel Whittaker, The Times-Picayune

Former John Curtis and USC running back Joe McKnight has had to fight with assertions that he could not handle the tempo of the NFL during rookie minicamp with the New York Jets.

The fourth-round pick, who opted to forgo his senior season at USC, conceded he was not in the best shape this summer, when vomiting, dehydration and cramping in his leg and calf muscles sidelined him during practices and puzzled his coaches.

After his rude awakening to the rigorous NFL practices, McKnight said he is modifying his workout and health regimen, in hopes of making an impact on the Jets' running game this season, which has a new look since New York acquired LaDainian Tomlinson and traded Thomas Jones to the Chiefs and Leon Washington to the Seahawks.

"I went home and worked on my cardio -- I did a lot of core training and
    running to get my wind back, " McKnight said. "It's helped me because a lot of papers described me as lazy and not hard-working. I'm still changing that perception of me."

J.T. Curtis, McKnight's guardian and high school coach whom he lived with as a junior and senior after Hurricane Katrina, said McKnight's physical exhaustion at rookie minicamp practices happened because his nerves fire up so easily in new situations.

"I don't think it was his conditioning as much as his excitement to be there, " Curtis said. "When Joe gets juiced up, he gets a terribly weak stomach ... Joe will be in top condition at training camp. There are no concerns there."
    Local NFL analyst Mike Detillier said rookies arriving with subpar conditioning is not uncommon.

"You find out real quick there's a difference between workout condition and game condition, " Detillier said. "If we were three weeks into training camp, I'd say it's an issue."

Tomlinson, a 10-year veteran running back and eight-time 1,000-yard rusher, is joining McKnight as a first-year player in the Jets offense.
    McKnight said Tomlinson is a player he is comfortable turning to for advice in his transition period. He will likely vie for playing time with Tomlinson, Shonn Greene and Chauncey Washington.

"(Tomlinson) is like my big brother I never had, " McKnight said. "He's teaching me all the things he's learned -- how to be professional about everything, take care of your body and be a good person in life."

McKnight's strengths as a running back and punt/kick returner throughout his career have been bouncing runs to the outside and catching passes out of the backfield for big gains, rather than running north and south like a power running back.

The 5-foot-11, 194-pound McKnight ranks No. 14 on USC's all-time rushing list with 2,213 rushing yards all while enduring a myriad of injuries, a chipped finger, dislocated toes and a hyperextended elbow.

Detillier said McKnight will be part of a running back by committee with the Jets and fill the void left by Leon Washington, whom Detillier dubbed "an edge back."

Essentially, McKnight is best suited for about six or eight carries a game, catching passes and returning punts and kicks, Detillier said, and Greene will be "the lead back, and more the inside runner."

"Joe is lightning in a bottle, so it will be interesting to see how (McKnight) runs between the tackles, " Detillier said. "He's also had a tendency to put the ball on the carpet, so the Jets have to be cognizant of that right off the bat."

Curtis said McKnight will be a valuable addition to the Jets because of his ability to make defenses miss.

"Getting people to change formation makes Joe a valuable commodity, " Curtis said. "He can play on the perimeter ... and be great on end-arounds as a wide receiver."

Curtis said McKnight is someone whose football fame sometimes overshadows positive attributes of his personality.

He said what most people don't know about McKnight is how selfless he is, not caring about how many carries he gets, but making the most of the carries he gets to help the team win. As a senior in 2006, he averaged 15.5 yards per rush.

"An example is his Parade All-American Team consideration (in 2006) when the selection committee said to me, 'Joe doesn't seem to have the carries,'" Curtis said. "I said to them, 'Well he doesn't, but look at his yards per carry. That's what makes Joe Joe.'"

Detillier said McKnight may be called upon to shoulder more carries as the Jets' season progresses, as Tomlinson's energy runs low through the grind of his 11th NFL season. Tomlinson has accumulated more carries in his career than Hall of Fame running backs Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung combined.

"Early on it's gonna be the Greene and (Tomlinson) show, and Joe's role will be primarily as a return man and third-down receiver, " Detillier said. "That may build as the season goes along with the question of can (Tomlinson) hold up."[/quote]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]The 5-foot-11, 194-pound McKnight ranks No. 14 on USC's all-time rushing list with 2,213 rushing yards all while enduring a myriad of injuries, a chipped finger, dislocated toes and a hyperextended elbow.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"Joe is lightning in a bottle, so it will be interesting to see how (McKnight) runs between the tackles, " Detillier said. [B]"He's also had a tendency to put the ball on the carpet, so the Jets have to be cognizant of that right off the bat."[/B][/QUOTE]

Didn't like this. I'm skeptical at this point and hoping for the best with Joe.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3639366]Didn't like this. I'm skeptical at this point and hoping for the best with Joe.[/QUOTE]

He's setting up to be a huge disappointment. I don't trust him yet and it would be nice to sign another back as an insurance policy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3639369]He's setting up to be a huge disappointment. I don't trust him yet and it would be nice to sign another back as an insurance policy.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have a guy like LeGarrette Blount who went undrafted (God knows why... he threw one punch, big ****ing deal). McKnight just has so many questions on the field. I don't think he's an NFL back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3639369][B]He's setting up to be a huge disappointment[/B]. I don't trust him yet and it would be nice to sign another back as an insurance policy.[/QUOTE]

:confused:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3639379]:confused:[/QUOTE]

In every inteview he seems like he has no confidence whatsoever. Practice is bad, feels like he's in the shadow of Reggie Bush. It's over before it started.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember all the pre-camp talk about Gholston? This is major spin/damage control being done regarding McKnight. It doesn't bode well for the lad, folks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see what he can do. He's definitelty got serious explosiveness and speed in the open field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3639369][B]He's setting up to be a huge disappointment.[/B] I don't trust him yet and it would be nice to sign another back as an insurance policy.[/QUOTE]

I don't think a 4th rd pick not making it is a huge disappointment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I have no idea where this is coming from. A rookie shows up to mini-camp and is caught off guard by the intensity. He responds by working to improve his conditioning so it's not an issue going forward. This is something to worry about? I'd like to know how many games you saw him play in college. I watch 9-10 USC games each year, the fumbling got on my nerves his first two years, but wasn't a problem last year. You'll see when he gets on the field. He's a playmaker.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Time Is NOW;3639396]I don't think a 4th rd pick not making it is a huge disappointment.[/QUOTE]
    it's not..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

New nickname coming

Silent McNight

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3639471]Silent McNight[/QUOTE]

McNaught.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

But I'm wrong

But I'm wrong

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope I'm wrong

I hope I'm wrong.

But I'm nervous about loosing 1400 yd Jones and no Washington comeback.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;3639409]Wow. I have no idea where this is coming from. A rookie shows up to mini-camp and is caught off guard by the intensity. He responds by working to improve his conditioning so it's not an issue going forward. This is something to worry about? I'd like to know how many games you saw him play in college. I watch 9-10 USC games each year, the fumbling got on my nerves his first two years, but wasn't a problem last year. You'll see when he gets on the field. He's a playmaker.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! McKnight's pundits are all Hall of Fame GMs and talent scouts.There is nothing you or I can say that will temper their views and hopes for McKnight. One guy labled him MAJOR QUESTIONMARK before he ever carried a ball for the Jets. Now he must justify his brashness. I also saw the guy at USC and he was shifty, speedy and all the things his pundits hate in a new Jets RB. I hope he does does great and quiets some of his rather loud pundits . If he does, it will make our team even better and much more dangerous. Never has aJETS rookie received so much scorn as this kid. All he did was throw up due to a virus. Others have done it and the pundits say nothing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3639555]Agreed! McKnight's pundits are all Hall of Fame GMs and talent scouts.There is nothing you or I can say that will temper their views and hopes for McKnight. One guy labled him MAJOR QUESTIONMARK before he ever carried a ball for the Jets. Now he must justify his brashness. I also saw the guy at USC and he was shifty, speedy and all the things his [B]pundits[/B] hate in a new Jets RB. I hope he does does great and quiets some of his rather loud [B]pundits[/B] . If he does, it will make our team even better and much more dangerous. Never has aJETS rookie received so much scorn as this kid. All he did was throw up due to a virus. Others have done it and the [B]pundits[/B] say nothing.[/QUOTE]

i think you like using the word "pundits"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3639371]I'd rather have a guy like LeGarrette Blount who went undrafted (God knows why... he threw one punch, big ****ing deal).[/QUOTE]

LB can't run. At least McK has the talent...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight is going to be just fine

nice for the Joe Benigno group to have something to worry, fret and squirm about, though

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    considering how few draft picks the jets have been getting going into the draft, even a 4th rounder has got to pay off something. if mcknight can do the punt returns and be a gunner on special teams then he will be worth it. i don't anyone should think he will be able to replace leon, that is leon before the leg injury. i don't think i like the 5'-11" thing either. he's too tall to be really shifty and too short to be able to carry enough weight to be a pounder.

we'll see.