Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contract talks: The Leon Factor

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Contract talks: The Leon Factor

[QUOTE]It’s an image that still haunts Jets players, the sight of Leon Washington with blood stains on his right sock. It was last Oct. 25, the day the popular running back suffered a horrific leg injury that included two open fractures. Bone pierced the skin in two places that day in Oakland, and the first witnesses – the players on offense – were deeply impacted.

Especially those seeking long-term contract extensions.

Football is a brutally violent sport, and a promising career can be cut short in a heartbeat. Thankfully, Washington is on the road to recovery, but there’s no telling how many millions he lost because of the injury. He rejected a long-term offer from the Jets before the season, opting to play out the year, but the strategy backfired. Next thing you know, he’s on a plane to Seattle, traded on draft day to the Seahawks.

He went from a core player to a spare part, still chasing that big contract.

It’s amazing how often Washington’s former teammates mention his name when discussing their current contract situations. C Nick Mangold and LB David Harris, both entering the final year of their deals, mention his name when talking about the desire for long-term security.

CB Darrelle Revis essentially has three years left on his contract, but he’d be taking a big risk this season by playing for only $1 million. The Jets are planning to buy back 2011 and 2012, guaranteeing him a total of $20 million, but they don’t have to execute that transaction until after the 2010 season, when his deal voids. If Revis suffers a Leon-like injury, do you think the Jets will guarantee $20 million? Unlikely.

So, yeah, Revis & Co. are freaked out by a potential Washington disaster.

“When something like that happens, it’s fresh in the mind, especially since Leon and I came in together (in 2006),” Mangold told me.

Revis told friends that he was unsettled by Domenik Hixon’s freak, season-ending knee injury on the turf at the New Meadowlands Stadium, where the New York Giants held a minicamp practice only one day before the Jets. At any given moment, a career can be altered. That’s why these players want the Jets to show them the money. [/QUOTE]

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/post/_/id/646/contract-talks-the-leon-factor?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Leon factor, combined with the potential lockout, is the main reason why Revis will compromise on his demands.

The guy simply cannot risk playing this year for $1 million....even if that means taking what he feels is less than what he's worth. He needs to realize that there is a trade off involved here.

Veteran
    you know what is tough is watching some highlights of leon over the last few years.

Whether we can replace his production or not is not really an issue but there arent many guys in this league with his big play ability. Dude was simply amazing at times.

If he was in the open field he ALWAYS made that first guy miss.

Its going to be tough to see him play elsewhere but it remains to be seen if he will be back to his old self or not. I have my doubt. I think he may need a year to really return to his true form. By then he will be in that 30 year old range and everyone will be pushing him out the door.

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvTliO4jxrk[/IMG]
    Last edited by jets31; 07-06-2010 at 03:04 PM.

without trying to sound too callous, this is the profession that these guys chose and, frankly, many are not qualified to sweep floors but are darn good football players. they need to get together and make sure whatever cba they come up with is good for their interests. to simply force a lock out will simply leave the owners in the same position as they were in the last two strikes, a good one. amazing how the owners can still get strike insurance and how the networks probably won't skip a beat if football isn't played. but that's the reality of the situation.

the jet players have got to realize this. i remember back in 87 or 88 when they had the replacement players. what a joke and that was even a bigger joke when gastinueau decided to play. i thought he would've been able to eat up the replacements but he didn't. did the game come out of that better or worse? i hope the players realize that some will get good paydays but the average player will not make a ton of money. good money by most fan's standards but not so much that they will be set for life. at some point fans will start not going to the games (look at the jet psl's) because they cost too much.

Banned
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3639989]without trying to sound too callous, this is the profession that these guys chose and, frankly, many are not qualified to sweep floors but are darn good football players. [/QUOTE]

Not qualified to sweep floors? When was the last time a high school player got drafted into the NFL? Never.

Over 90% of NFL players have a college education; Most of them have a college degree.

Jets Insider VIP
    I will miss Leon too but last year, he just wasnt the same guy. I do not know if it was because he was half assing it not wanting to get hurt but the Leon we saw in the 1st 7 games of 2009 was not the same guy from previous seasons.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3639996]Not qualified to sweep floors? When was the last time a high school player got drafted into the NFL? Never.

Over 90% of NFL players have a college education; Most of them have a college degree.[/QUOTE]

90% of NFL players abuse their money, spend it on rims and jewelry and end up going bankrupt.

Just because you attended college due to your athleticism does not mean you actually learned anything.

These guys don't even show up to class. You'd actually have to have college experience at a university to understand that, Phil.

Jets Insider VIP
    "I need to get paid or I'll end up like Leon!"

Yeah ok - millions upon millions cause NO ONE can survive on anything less than that. I know I can't. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=quantum;3640009]"I need to get paid or I'll end up like Leon!"

Yeah ok - millions upon millions cause NO ONE can survive on anything less than that. I know I can't. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

do you work?

would you accept far less than market value for your labor?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3640028]do you work?

would you accept far less than market value for your labor?[/QUOTE]

Bit - I agree that he is worth more than what he makes... But if i walked into a place and signed a deal with that company to get paid for my services a certain amount of money no matter how good or bad i am for that period then I would honor it... If it was 12 months or less left on my agrrement then I would start negotiating and what not...

I WANT REVIS on that field come 1st pre-season game.. I say lets lock him up for a long time.. But I still say he has 2 or 3 seasons remaining under contract why start with a new deal now?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Defense Wins Championships 2;3639996]Not qualified to sweep floors? When was the last time a high school player got drafted into the NFL? Never.

Over 90% of NFL players have a college education; Most of them have a college degree.[/QUOTE]

A HS player couldn't even enter the draft until 3 years after his class graduated.. So what would he do for 3 years?? Plus if he was good in HS he would have got a scholarship to play in college.. If a kid doesn't get a scholarship but makes the team as a walk on the school will then grant him one.. BTW Dexter Manley went to Oklahoma and couldn't even read or write when he left..The colleges just pass athletes right through.. Some of these guys can't sweep floors..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=djaparz;3640046]Bit - I agree that he is worth more than what he makes... But if i walked into a place and signed a deal with that company to get paid for my services a certain amount of money no matter how good or bad i am for that period then I would honor it... If it was 12 months or less left on my agreement then I would start negotiating and what not...

I WANT REVIS on that field come 1st pre-season game.. I say lets lock him up for a long time.. But I still say he has 2 or 3 seasons remaining under contract why start with a new deal now?[/QUOTE]

Manning isn't getting a new contract yet and neither is Brady.. Teams just don't know what the future holds so it's understandable that their cautious about new contracts..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3640028]do you work?

would you accept far less than market value for your labor?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you have to, but that's not even a fair question. These guys can support their families a hundred times over. How much is enough?

I wanna be a doctor. Someone asked me if you got payed less would you still do it? My answer was if the "dropoff" was to a 100K salary i couldn't care less. That is more than enough per year for me. Now I understand that football is different and their careers are shorter/more dangerous. However, if they saved their [B]millions[/B] wisely they'll be set for life. I just hate when they bring family into it, they can support their family just fine.

okay. you got me. sweep floors and teach volleyball.

get real. there are college degrees and there are college degrees. the point is that these guys would not have access to even a percentage of what they make as players.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3639996]Not qualified to sweep floors? When was the last time a high school player got drafted into the NFL? Never.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3639935][url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/post/_/id/646/contract-talks-the-leon-factor?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url][/QUOTE]

If these players are worried about injuries and want guaranteed money now before their contracts run out then they might have to take a small discount to get that security ...no?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FREEJET;3640378]If these players are worried about injuries and want guaranteed money now before their contracts run out then they might have to take a small discount to get that security ...no?[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely! And that is what some here either choose not to accept or at least choose not to acknowledge.

[QUOTE=TheMo;3640290]I wanna be a doctor. Someone asked me if you got payed less would you still do it? My answer was if the "dropoff" was to a 100K salary i couldn't care less. That is more than enough per year for me. Now I understand that football is different and their careers are shorter/more dangerous. However, if they saved their [B]millions[/B] wisely they'll be set for life. I just hate when they bring family into it, they can support their family just fine.[/QUOTE]

doctors can work until they are 70. Football players can work until they are 30, maybe.

not to mention the skill of doing what they do, in front of millions of watchers, is rare. I can't even reliably hit a golf ball in front of 3 other golfers. To perform at a high level in front of a crowd is not common.

All League
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3640004] 90% of NFL players abuse their money, spend it on rims and jewelry and end up going bankrupt. [/QUOTE]
    90%??? Show me a link on that one. Admittedly, the percentage of players who go bankrupt is higher than it should be, but I'm sure it's nowhere near 90%.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3640004] Just because you attended college due to your athleticism does not mean you actually learned anything. [/QUOTE] This is true. But let's not condemn all football players. There are those who learn something (The ones who don't go bankrupt LOL :P ).

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3640004] These guys don't even show up to class. You'd actually have to have college experience at a university to understand that, Phil. [/QUOTE] Again, not ALL players fit this stereotype.

[QUOTE=Jet Blast;3640391]90%??? Show me a link on that one. Admittedly, the percentage of players who go bankrupt is higher than it should be, but I'm sure it's nowhere near 90%.

This is true. But let's not condemn all football players. There are those who learn something (The ones who don't go bankrupt LOL :P ).

Again, not ALL players fit this stereotype.[/QUOTE]

Of course not. It was exaggeration to prove a point.

We'll safely say that more players end up working after football and most of them don't work in the fields they obtained or worked on obtaining a degree for.